Add a custom planet

Apr 24, 2013
Hello Galacticraft Forums

I have been thinking what if you created a setup for your own planet?
For example it asks for the name, gravity level and you provide your own textures for the blocks.
Post back if you like the idea;)

Reactions: AcapitalA

cur25

Mar 13, 2013
It would be cool as an admin tool tough. I think it's fairly easy to code when you can only do it upon planet generation. All you need is a world generator, some gravity setting, some little things, and done.

YX33A

Apr 25, 2013
Sounds like a fun idea. Custom dimensions are not impossible to build in game(look at Mystcraft for example), but obviously this would be very late game.
EDIT: Actually on that note I have some ideas

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
In Mystcraft as far as I know there is not such a thing like gravity.
I like the idea but this gonna be a hell of code needed and remember things like gravity athmosphere and gui has to be updated too.
I don't see why. Mystcraft has tons more stuff. Sky ground color, instability, etc. doubt gravity is that much harder to code. Plus it's already coded. It's a matter of copy pasting it, and fine tuning some things.

Donzaffi

Sep 28, 2013
In a Kingdom far far away
I don't see why. Mystcraft has tons more stuff. Sky ground color, instability, etc. doubt gravity is that much harder to code. Plus it's already coded. It's a matter of copy pasting it, and fine tuning some things.
As far as I know it isn't so easy a copy and paste, if you want to adjust the gravity by yourself or random you need to change the code, at the moment the gravity is fixed to the planet as much I understand

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
Although, it would be pretty epic if you can make custom planets :)

Just imagine, making your own planet with custom gravity, world generation and other stuff...

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
As far as I know it isn't so easy a copy and paste, if you want to adjust the gravity by yourself or random you need to change the code, at the moment the gravity is fixed to the planet as much I understand

I haven't looked at the code, but I don't see why it would be so difficult. I don't remember if GC is open source or not, but you take the section of code that specifies gravity on say the moon and you copy it. You paste it in to your new code for the new planet. Now your new planet has the exact same gravity as the moon. If Mitch wrote GC as an open source project, he's probably got all the different sections commented and variables marked, so people can easily understand his code.

It would be made that instead of a hardcoded variable, a custom planet pulls some kind of player input and uses that as the planets gravity variable.

It would probably be a lot harder, but I think pretty neat to see implemented:

Some kind of genesis machine/rocket could be added to the game to handle the this. I think a genesis rocket would probably be better. You build a special rocket. The tier would decide the distance from the sun, which would decide which tired rocket is needed to get there. A tier 3 genesis rocket would mean a tier 3 rocket is needed to get there. Tier 2 needs tier 2, etc. There would be other parts added to the rocket that would dictate other planetary traits.

Loading the rocket with various forms of stone would affect what the planet is made out of. Ores would be a blacklisted item to prevent people from trying to create gold or diamond planets, which would be totally unbalanced.

The rocket would have say 3 or 4 (or more) slots. You fill those slots with a stack of material, and that would decide what the planet is made out of proportional to each stack size. The size of all the stacks would also affect the mass of the planet, which decides what the gravity is.

Donzaffi

Sep 28, 2013
In a Kingdom far far away
I haven't looked at the code, but I don't see why it would be so difficult. I don't remember if GC is open source or not, but you take the section of code that specifies gravity on say the moon and you copy it. You paste it in to your new code for the new planet. Now your new planet has the exact same gravity as the moon. If Mitch wrote GC as an open source project, he's probably got all the different sections commented and variables marked, so people can easily understand his code.

It would be made that instead of a hardcoded variable, a custom planet pulls some kind of player input and uses that as the planets gravity variable.

It would probably be a lot harder, but I think pretty neat to see implemented:

Some kind of genesis machine/rocket could be added to the game to handle the this. I think a genesis rocket would probably be better. You build a special rocket. The tier would decide the distance from the sun, which would decide which tired rocket is needed to get there. A tier 3 genesis rocket would mean a tier 3 rocket is needed to get there. Tier 2 needs tier 2, etc. There would be other parts added to the rocket that would dictate other planetary traits.

Loading the rocket with various forms of stone would affect what the planet is made out of. Ores would be a blacklisted item to prevent people from trying to create gold or diamond planets, which would be totally unbalanced.

The rocket would have say 3 or 4 (or more) slots. You fill those slots with a stack of material, and that would decide what the planet is made out of proportional to each stack size. The size of all the stacks would also affect the mass of the planet, which decides what the gravity is.

You know that I am indeed for the idea ;)
I would like if its implemented.

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
Love to see this happen :D
Also, it would be epic if you could make your own textures in-game.
Maybe this could only be done in SSP to prevent too many worlds that make you lag. (In SMP, only admins could make new planets.)