Advanced Airlocks

Is bacon the sweetest of meats?

• Total voters

jbjoseph

Apr 29, 2013
Charleston, SC
So, admittedly this might be semi-difficult to implement:

I love the airlocks, they're great. They save a tremendous amount of time in comparison to cooking up some sort of sticky piston powered contraption (which are still cool though). However I've noticed I keep running into the same issue over and over, especially in relation to space stations.

I think, to a point, we can all agree that if you're trying to build a realistic looking space station (realistic meaning perhaps something that echoes the ISS in design) then they aren't going to be very bulky. This presents a problem in terms of hiding redstone cables used to control the airlock doors. I am WELL AWARE that you can place a lever by a single completed airlock door and use it to control the doors open/close state. The issue with this though is say, I walk into airlock 1 which consists of two separate airlock doors. I throw the switch and close the interior door, then throw a second switch thus opening the exterior door. I then go on a little romp through space, and let's say I'm doing work on the other side of my space station when I run low on oxygen. Because I plan for these problem, I have a second airlock built on the other side of the station. However since the exterior door is controlled from the interior airlock, due to the lever problem (i.e. the fact that for two levers to control a single redstone powered device an XOR gate must be constructed, XOR gates are not small and cannot be hidden easily) I am stuck outside, too far from Airlock 1, and locked out of Airlock 2.

To solve this I was thinking a similar design as the airlock frame itself could be implemented. In other words, I find it interesting that an airlock frame is able to identify when it has been completed and it has a specific function that is implemented only once it has been built into an actual frame. Is there any way to further this by having two frames acknowledge when they are placed by one another? Let's say airlock frames of matching size (3x3 for example) being maybe 2 or 3 blocks across from each other, and automatically flipping off if the other is activated somehow? I suppose I'm not explaining myself very well but really all I'm looking for is a way to extend the functionality of the airlock frames to something a bit easier to work with for those of us who are aesthetically inclined yet also obsessive about functionality.

Discuss!

Jake

Mar 11, 2013
You know, you could just put pressure plates in front of the air locks on either side, i think. Then you don't have to mess with big bulky redstone contraptions. I'm not sure, as i haven't tested this (haven't played MC in a long time) but i could test it real quick.

jbjoseph

Apr 29, 2013
Charleston, SC
While that is an intriguing idea it still has some issues. Mainly that it's not as cool as using buttons or levers to activate the doors. Also, the pressure pads only issue redstone power when they're depressed, meaning that standing on one would close the door, not open it. You could invert the signal but it would still be wonky.

Jake

Mar 11, 2013
Right, didn't think about that. Maybe if micdoodle8 made an inverted airlock, then it would be a good idea.

coryb2007

May 25, 2013
Right, didn't think about that. Maybe if micdoodle8 made an inverted airlock, then it would be a good idea.

I would like to see an inverted one, right now space required to Redstone it properly is quote cumbersome.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
In fact, doors go closed-state with any redstone input and open-state with no redstone input. The airlocks are the opposite. It looks like we need to invert an inverted door.

In a perfect world, when you activate a lever, it'd change the state of the door and the other levers attached.

Another idea: laser sensors that could be placed next to the doors (image below, where the tripwire hooks are), one in each side. The door opens if there is a player between the sensors.

Y0K8pB3.png

Mark Bolhuis

May 17, 2013
Perhaps the airlock frame just has to detect a change in redstone signal, so you still have two levers, if either is flipped the airlock changes its state.

Jake

Mar 11, 2013
That would be the perfect solution except that it'd have to be programmed to check the state from individual sides and that would eat up processing cycles like crazy.

Nov 26, 2012
ok so i know a way to make buttons work like levers and the cool thing is that you can add as many buttons as you want to the circuit and it will still trigger open/close, you could use something like this
139-f1098c2ffba51ca8d0479465fc567fc8.jpg
, all the buttons can trigger the circuit, that way you can open/close the airlock wherever you are, i used this thing to make a lot of control stations on my moon base, obviously you can make it smaller if it is too big

Attachments

• 2013-05-31_15.29.19.png
    2013-05-31_15.29.19.png
    668.1 KB · Views: 21

Shadow2465

Jul 8, 2013
I FOUND THE SOLUTION! Its cheap, small, and simple to make. all you need is: redstone torch, a block, and a button. this is what it looks like: i= redstone torch. H=block. O= button.

Airlock iHO