More / Configurable Oxygen Source Blocks

Edminster

May 24, 2013
I mean this both in the air bubble distributor as well as leaf block senses.

I've been slowly accreting a Moon Base, and it seems odd to me that the only way to produce oxygen is to build a tree farm, when a hydroponics system should also work. Granted there is a nod to that with saplings requiring four or more water blocks nearby in order to grow, but allowing growing wheat to produce oxygen as well would not only add to verisimilitude but also extend the configurability and build styles available. If it's implemented with a config file, it would also allow cultivation of plants from other mods (Pam's stuff immediately comes to mind, but there are plenty others).

On the flip side, it would be very nice to see something like an Oxygen Decompressor that you can feed filled air tanks and pipe it around, similar to how they manage it on the ISS. This would (as with the change outlined above) extend the build styles available as well as make early space exploration more viable. Alternatively, it would be nice if there was a slot on Sealers and Distributors that one could place an oxygen tank in. Either way, it would vastly move forward the timeframe for establishing outpost stations.

Hopefully this gets a few eyeballs; I tweeted a severely truncated version of this at Micdoodle but in looking at the sorts of things people routinely tweet I can totally understand not checking twitter :p

For those of you who have stuck through all of these words, have some pictures of the lunar colony I've been working on for the past couple weeks:

Reactions: jbjoseph

spacet&b

May 20, 2013
Epic building you have there, if only if those things can spawn randomly around the Moon...

jbjoseph

Apr 29, 2013
Charleston, SC
Yeaaaah man, looking good. I agree with your suggestions as well, the oxygen system still needs significant tweaking and additions before it's more...well, efficient I suppose. Long term colonization is still pretty difficult on survival.

coryb2007

May 25, 2013
I would like to see expanded on your idea, sealers that can seal a large space, and space sealed is dependent upon how much oxygen is sent to it.

Also awesome base +1

Edminster

May 24, 2013
I would like to see expanded on your idea, sealers that can seal a large space, and space sealed is dependent upon how much oxygen is sent to it.

Yeah, I'm not particularly looking forward to sealing my base; I have about a dozen places that are roughed-in for sealer placement and the logistics of hiding all of the wire and oxygen piping properly is not going to be terribly easy. On the other hand, I can see why you would not want one massive sealer! Doing so opens up the chance that for particularly large bases you could accidentally unload the chunk the sealer is in, and then *vwoomp* there goes all your air. Having many discrete units is also a 'best practice' as it were to avoid massive losses in the event of, say, a meteor strike cracking part of the base wide open.

Yeaaaah man, looking good. I agree with your suggestions as well, the oxygen system still needs significant tweaking and additions before it's more...well, efficient I suppose. Long term colonization is still pretty difficult on survival.

It absolutely is rather difficult, although I've gotten to that weird halfway point where I can stay there so long as my uranium holds out and remember to fill my depleted air tanks whenever I switch over to my spare set. So far I haven't set foot on the Overworld in the last six or seven play sessions, which is a great feeling :)

Epic building you have there, if only if those things can spawn randomly around the Moon...

Haha, man I would not envy the person charged with making that work! I've gotten into the habit of building my stuff within and complementing natural terrain, and that sort of thing is a nightmare and a half to implement. If you want a good example, just look at Nether Fortresses in Vanilla Minecraft; oftentimes they spawn not only embedded in netherrack, but with whole hallways just completely blocked off or abruptly ending over a massive drop. It is supremely difficult to have structures generate with a natural feeling to them, Kinniken (the one behind Millenaire) has been tweaking it for years and it still has occasionally fanky results.

Thanks, all, for the compliments on my base and for reading my ramblings. It's pretty neat to see just how far it's come in the past couple weeks! I've dug through my screenshots and found the first picture I took, way back when:

3JkpXmil.jpg

enterprise12

Apr 19, 2013
I agree, i do not like the air space bubble, its unrealistic and ugly when you see a space of air sticking out of your house, it should instead require the house completely sealed, and then oxygen areas everywhere that mantain the house with oxygen without ugly bubbles sticking out of the house.
Growing trees on the moon is also unrealistic, although im sure its temporary who knows