mrfusion121

Aug 4, 2013
I would also like to voice concern over GC not receiving any updates/bugfixes for 1.5.2 after 1.6.x was released. I'm setting up a Tekkit 1.1.5 server right now, and I'd like to use a newer version of GC (with less bugs), so YEAH, if it doubles his workload, so be it. I just look at the jenkins page and see all the little fixes being made after 1.5.2...and become saddened....
You would think a MOD developer would have a bit more sympathy for Tekkit server admins that cannot simply update their boring vanilla servers every time Mojang decides to release a few minor changes. (horses, pffft.) I would consider it semi-professional to at least support 1 (one!) previous version with backwards compatibility. Please and thank you. It's sort of difficult to justify donating to plugin and mod devs when they only chase the latest and greatest. I'm not saying support 5 versions back....but geesh...there has to be a balance here, no matter how busy someone is. Either do it right, or ....well...just do it right. Cheers.

Edit: Just tried updating GC, and realized that it would require a custom modpack (duh), which is beyond my knowledge level at the moment. So I guess I need to hammer on the Tekkit/Technic people to release a 1.6.x version of Tekkit sooner rather than later? I know they say 'nothing worth doing is ever easy' but I'm starting to wonder if this is 'worth doin' anymore. LOL

Last edited:

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
You could piece meal you're own set of 1.6 mods together with galacticraft, and come pretty close to Tekkit. Tekkit isn't even a mod, but a bunch of mods stuck together to make it easier for people to install them all at once. All your doing with Tekkit is trading convenience for outdated mods. A good portion of the mods on the Tekkit list are 1.6.

kovacadam

Jul 1, 2013
I agree with MasterOanarchY. If you are too lazy to find all the mods then wait for next Tekkit and don't ask developer for double work... You are lazy and that's why micdoodle8 should work 2 times?

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
A friend and fellow tekkit fan just informed me you can make you're own mod pack with tekkit. I think it's new, and may not work great. I haven't played with it myself so I don't know how functional it is.

Dunewolfz

He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
Let me introduce you to the concepts of the Vocal Minority and Tradeoffs. Even if I hate this fact as well, Mic knows that he will have to keep up with Minecraft itself, and if the majority of users are going to be updating to 1.6.2 then it makes more sense to push bug fixes and such during 1.6.2, instead of staying in the now-outdated 1.5.2. If this means that a collection of users are going to stick to 1.5.2, then they will do so. It's a little thing known as a tradeoff, and if one side has a greater benefit than loss, Mic is going to follow the path with the greater benefit.
That's what being "professional" is, it simply isn't worth Mic's time and effort to update 1.5.2 as well as 1.6.2 when most users are going to be playing 1.6.2. In addition to this, if Mic did update 1.5.2, then you'd start a domino-effect of "Show 1.5.1 some love, show 1.4.7 some love, show Beta 1.2 some love, etc... etc."

mrfusion121

Aug 4, 2013
Let me introduce you to the concepts of the Vocal Minority and Tradeoffs. ......It's a little thing known as a tradeoff......That's what being "professional" is, it simply isn't worth Mic's time and effort to update 1.5.2 as well as 1.6.2 when most users are going to be playing 1.6.2. In addition to this, if Mic did update 1.5.2, then you'd start a domino-effect of "Show 1.5.1 some love, show 1.4.7 some love, show Beta 1.2 some love, etc... etc."

This is why I usually don't bother with making suggestions in forums, because angry/antagonistic people are usually in charge of berating everyone's ideas or constructive criticism. I am AWARE of vocal minority and tradeoffs, you little ..... 'staff member'. :p Maybe I struck a nerve, but I'm not 12, I'm in my 30's, and I work in IT, so I know it's usually 'safest' and 'more stable' to stay at least 1 version behind. Perhaps I'm overestimating the allure of the 'convenience' involved with using a popular and published modpack. Yes, I have seen servers with their own custom modpacks for Tekkit. They had a special webpage with download instructions to add the modpack to my Tekkit launcher. BUT I'M A CASUAL SERVER OWNER with ZERO staff. 1. I want simplicity. 2. I want stability. 3. I want the latest and greatest. I know that there is no way in hell all 3 are going to happen at the same time, especially with 'free' software. (You get what you pay for?) But I would hope for at least 2 out of 3. By not supporting 1 previous version (NO DOMINO EFFECT!), I'll be lucky to get 1 out of 3. I'd be interested to know how Mic knows who is running GC on which versions of Minecraft? Does GC have a phone home/telemetry system like Minecraft and some other mods/plugins? Does Mic *know* usage rates and end-user sentiment? Polls are not scientific or accurate because they attract people with strong opinions, but telemetry only shows what is being used, not HOW or WHY it's being used, or the wishes of the server ops. But I digress. I am willing to admit not knowing much on the subject, as I'm relatively new to the depths of server administration of a Tekkit server.

And to make matters worse, I see that Tekkit 1.1.6 was just promoted to 'Latest' and it updates GC to a0.1.36.410 (at 1.5.2) but seems to be having issues for people importing Tekkit 1.1.5 maps. And it only took 1 month and 4 days AFTER GC release 410 was released/commited on Jenkins. Yay tekkit people.... (/sarcasm)

At least I have this to look forward to:

#410 (Jul 1, 2013 11:54:26 PM)
Prevent players from renaming each other's space stations.
More API changes and documentation additions.
Updated Basic Components. Fixes invisible Copper Wires.
Bind textures through the render engine instead of directly through OpenGL. This should fix text appearing as colored blocks.
Some more much-needed API improvements.
Fix missing inventory GUI.
Forgot one map entry.
Clean up some code, change the API a bit
Display Oxygen Tank missing before displaying no power.
Clean up transformer file. Could possibly improve startup speed with lots of mods installed.
Fix spawn eggs localization
Added the option to disable tin and copper ore generation from the config.
Connection Handler improvements. Should fix problems connection/reconnecting to LAN.
Clean up code
Fix an inventory dupe bug.
Packet errors will be a little more informative now.
Show warning in client/server packet handler as well.
Show warning instead of crashing when received packet data is null.
Add recipes for all sealable pipes.
Fix names for IC2 sealable cables.
Fix adjacent block updating for IC2 sealable cables.
Fix another startup crash.
Fix crash when Buildcraft is not loaded.
Add all IC2 Cables and Buildcraft Pipes as enclosed blocks (no crafting yet)
Status of oxygen machines will show no electricity before showing no oxygen.
Fixed "Tin" being called "Tins" for space station creation tooltip.
Fixed industrialcraft2 recipes for sealer and sealable copper cable
Fix bad packet errors upon spawning in lander.
Sealable Copper Cables Take VI. Finally working!
Update ru_RU.properties
Update ru_RU.properties
Sealable Copper Cables Take V.
Sealable Copper Cables Take IV.
Sealable Copper Cables Take III.
Sealable Copper Cables Take II.
Added sealable copper cable (IC2). Experimental.
Fix shift-clicking in para-chests.
Should fix air locks placing seal in unintended boundaries
Fix a server error upon entering space dimension
Fixed dupe bug
Refinery won't automatically disable after refining one batch.
Fixed player getting stuck in blocks upon world load on moon/space stations.
Fix NPE if parachest is clicked too fast after being placed.
Fix oxygen pipe network updates and added colored pipe functionality back (actually this time).
Fix keybind names
Fix another parachest inventory crash.
Update Mekanism, adds colored pipe functionality back.
Fix what should (hopefully) be the last inventory bug.
Parachest spawns a bit quicker now.
Attempt a fix for MCPC+ parachest spawns
Fix a few major inventory bugs.
Update ru_RU.properties
Update en_US.properties
Fix crash upon saving parachest tile.
Add recipe display for buggy in Not Enough Items
Fixed Mekanism compatibility, but breaks colored oxygen pipe functionality. Probably temporary.
Completely overhauled localization. Mod can now be completely translated.
Add three more slots to the rocket inventory
Fixed items trying to grab textures that they don't need.
Update item names
Clean up code.
Many rocket/lander/para-chest inventory changes and fixes. Please test!
Added nullcheck when breaking Oxygen Pipes, fixes a rare NPE.
Update build number, whoops!
Add NEI recipes for all rocket inventory sizes.
Added Tier 2 Rocket Schematic without registering it (it won't work yet).
Better fix for player not being rendered while falling without a parachute.
Adjusted spaceship item renderer so it fits Tier 2 rocket in inventory slot properly.
Don't allow Tier 1 Rocket to travel to mars.
Update Basic Components. Fixes missing plate recipes.
Suffocation Cooldown and Suffocation Damage values are now configurable.
Oxygen Collectors now collect from all crops (including other mods).
Some more rocket inventory fixes.
Fix players not being rendered when no parachute is in slot.
Build trigger for MCPC+ debugging purposes.
Fix an error creating para-chest with no rocket inventory.
Stop generating space station rocket pad. Instead, always include it in the para-chest.
Fix a couple crashes
Remove unused code.
Moon brightness ranges more from day to night. Made Space Stations brighter.
Rewrote rocket types, and added more inventory options for rockets (18, 36, and 54 slots).
Rewrote networked rocket data. Uses packets instead of data watcher now.
Update Basic Components, fixes backwards compatibility.
Separated all mars textures into 1.5 format.
Tier 2 rocket can now use same item renderer as Tier 1. Added interface for items that will be held overhead.
Revert method of particle spawning
Some work on mars
Update english language file with new mars changes.
Clean up rocket smoke code a bit, also stop particles from spawning before ignition.
Fix oxygen seal not breaking after opening sealed area.
Update Basic Components again, couple more fixes.
Fix missing Fuel Loader and NASA Workbench recipes when Basic Components is the default dependency.
Updated Basic Components - Fixes missing GUI bug with other UE mods.
Fixed bug that prevented players from inviting others to their space stations. Read extended description for more info...
Added Cargo Loader and Unloader. Loads items to/from buggies, rockets, etc.
Fix Copper Wires not rendering properly.
Fixed spam of method names and descriptions while transforming classes.
Fix Aether II Compatibility (same Tile Entity IDs)
Hide Knowledge Book for now, since it doesn't do anything.
Fix sound for T2 Rocket
Add some new flame effects to T2 Rocket
Update ru_RU.properties
Attempt to fix a world gen crash affecting MCPC+ users.
Register capes in CoFH Core as well.
Capes should now work properly for donors. Sorry about the delay.
Remove ASM debug text
Fixed fake block being added to inventory after using pick block (middle mouse) in creative.
Fix "Found incorrect packet" message spam
Fix damage when blocks are added/broken/updated inside sealed area.
Rewrote oil using TeamFluidsClassic, should solve a lot of performance problems.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
@mrfusion121
It's been my experience with tekkit that you never upgrade. It never really works out. Maybe MicDoodle will give 1.5.2 some love. I cannot speak for him. This is not the first 1.5.2 request. You demand for Simplicity, Stability, and Latest and Greatest, are quite reasonable, IF you are paying for the product, and IF the product isn't in BETA. I appreciate how much MicDoodle , and whoever else has put into this mod so far. To show my appreciation I try and report bugs, and help in the forum as much as possible. I don't come in here and demand he double his workload, or call him unprofessional, or try to tell him that the choices he makes with his labor of love are the wrong ones. You only had to come in and kindly ask by stating your reasons. You need not get personal sir.

FYI You were the first angry antagonistic post.

Last edited:

Dunewolfz

He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
It's been my experience with tekkit that you never upgrade. It never really works out. Maybe MicDoodle will give 1.5.2 some love. I cannot speak for him. This is not the first 1.5.2 request. You demand for Simplicity, Stability, and Latest and Greatest, are quite reasonable, IF you are paying for the product, and IF the product isn't in BETA. I appreciate how much MicDoodle , and whoever else has put into this mod so far. To show my appreciation I try and report bugs, and help in the forum as much as possible. I don't come in here and demand he double his workload, or call him unprofessional, or try to tell him that the choices he makes with his labor of love are the wrong ones. You only had to come in and kindly ask by stating your reasons. You need not get personal sir.

FYI You were the first angry antagonistic post.
Who you talkin' to Willis?

mrfusion121

Aug 4, 2013
Angry, no. Antagonistic, perhaps. But I never demanded anything. I used the words 'want' and 'hope'.
I am grateful for such plugins/mods. They extend the life of Minecraft overall.
There, is that kind enuff?