Addon [1.7.10] Amun-Ra 0.4.8 - Now with Motherships [NO LONGER SUPPORTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Progress is slow, sorry :(
I still have to work and all, sometimes after fixing a lot of shitty code at work I'm not really in the mood to continue coding at home. I have quite a bit of holidays in december, though, I hope I manage to make motherships work in the most basic version then at least

It should work for any mod-added celestial bodies. A mothership can orbit anything except space stations and other motherships, even if you can't land there. In that case you just die if you fall down. It might look wrong if you try to orbit an asteroid belt, and the sky will probably look different from a mothership than from a space station, since I use a dynamic sky renderer instead of any custom-made sky renderer for that specific orbit.

vos

May 31, 2015
how big will motherships be and do we need any special block to build them like engine or thrusters?

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
There shouldn't be any limit to the size. It's basically the same thing as the space stations. And yes, you need engines and a control terminal. Right now, the engines are made up of one "jet" block and several "boosters". You can place up to 10 boosters in a row, then put a jet at one end, so that you end up with a thruster up to 11 blocks in length. The more boosters, the more thrust it generates. The thrust has to be higher than the mass of the whole ship (GC has code for calculating the mass of a space station, I'm just doing the same thing).
The terminal just opens the celestial selecton screen, where you can select where you want to relocate the mothership to. It will display the distance in AU and the expected travel time. You will probably have to check the thrusters for fuel manually, though, I think adding that in the console would be too complicated.

What's missing now is the ability to actually put fuel into engines, and for them to actually use it, and also some GUI stuff. Or rather, quite a bit of GUI stuff >.<

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
No, I'm fine, I think. The GUI stuff should be mostly OK now. Some screenshots:

2016-12-14_00.45.08.png
On the left is an engine, in the middle the control console. If you right-click the console, you get something like this:
2016-12-14_00.45.34.png
You totally could get to Neptune with this setup. The displayed travel time is in minecraft units, with one hour corresponding to 1 RL seconds, 24 hours corresponding to one overworld day, etc.
Now, if you want to get somewhere further...
2016-12-14_00.45.45.png
...you would need a somewhat faster ship.
I just added a failsafe option that would prevent you from even trying to initiate a transit if it were to take longer than one day (24000 ticks).

(Maybe relevant info: to calculate the distance between stars in AUs, I take the distance between the getMapPosition();s of the solar systems and multiply it with 12.3. Not sure why, but I calculated that a long time ago and was thinking that it's a good value. Maybe I should decrease it somewhat, after all...)

vos

May 31, 2015
does it calculate in game time or real life time?
and the rest of what you said i dont understand

also would be cool to see a video :)

Last edited by a moderator:

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
does it calculate in game time or real life time?
and the rest of what you said i dont understand
It's in-game time. An in-game year is "only" 5 real life days.
And what didn't you understand?

Dunno about the video. I'm not even sure how I would record one.

vos

May 31, 2015
(Maybe relevant info: to calculate the distance between stars in AUs, I take the distance between the getMapPosition();s of the solar systems and multiply it with 12.3. Not sure why, but I calculated that a long time ago and was thinking that it's a good value. Maybe I should decrease it somewhat, after all...)
thats what i dont understand and with recording you can use obs or fraps

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
That's mostly something for other mod developers. But, AU = Astronomic Unit = the average distance between earth and sun.
13 kAU is still quite close, Proxima Centauri is actually more like 268 kAU from the sun in reality...

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
I haven't added any real crafting recipes yet, lol. But I think it would be a good idea. I think you should have to "finish" regular GalactiCraft before you are able to fly to the next solar system.

Alternatively, I could make it so that at first, you only get a mothership which can only move around within the solar system. But if I do this before you can go to the asteroids, it would make the Tier 3 rocket obsolete, since you would be able to go there with your mothership instead. Or would it be okay, since it would be just an alternative way of getting there?

I was also thinking of you having to use actual rockets to build mothership engines, so that you will still have to build them.

Any opinions?

vos

May 31, 2015
i like the idea of traveling with mother ships to other solar systembecause it makes sense it would take years to get there
but with using rockets to make engine no maybe a schematic you can get in asteroids?

there will be no boss in asteroids and you can find different mothership parts.
with the parts you can craft engine and upgrade it

AugiteSoul

May 15, 2016
Suggestions:

-Abandoned Spaceships in Asteroids. Find some supplies (metals, food, and fuel from the thrusters) and salvage them.
-Remote Missions. Make orbit a small ship near a gas giant (attach it storage, holding empty canisters or tanks from other mods) to harvest a variying quantity of planet's gas. Get Nitrogen on Jupiter (idk), Methane on Saturn/Uranus and Atmospheric Gases on Neptune and any other. (please add a config for setting what gases you get on what planet)
-Otherworldly Creatures. GONNA BE COMPLICATED. Those are like celestial bodies, except that the chance of seeing one is 15% per visit on the celestial screen (linked to server). Their size is always 100x100x10 blocks. Made of living material which is unbreakable. Kill the 4 giant tentacles then kill the core (entities; each tentacle has 100HP and the core has 500HP). The core drops a Otherworldly Bag(picks up items in a list, in the config file). Right-click on a EMPTY chest and it'll have random items of the list. If you fully kill the creature, you have 30 seconds to get out using a Recall Card (look below!), if not, you'll fall on the nearest celestial body. The gravity is very weak (better bring a grapple!) but there is oxygen here.
-Ship/Station/Base/Rocket binding. If you're lost, near to death, or killed a OC, right-click it to get to a Bind Point! First, craft a Bind Point. (no idea on recipe) Then, place it down, anywhere. Requires energy (500 gJ for one recall, buffer holds 50000 gJ) No one other than the one who placed it can use it. Second, make a Recall Card. (still, no recipe idea...) Charge it to be able to use it (5 gJ for one use, buffer holds 500gJ) . Third, Right-click your Bind Point. You'll be able to teleport to it anytime, if the two are charged. You can also attach a point to a rocket, and you'll ride it!

That's all, finally.

vos

May 31, 2015
wow nice idea i like idea of where you can get gas from other planets with a ship

but first lets get the ships to work

Reactions: AugiteSoul

vos

May 31, 2015
When Galacticraft 1.8 fully comes out will it be hard to update the mod with the motherships?

Zergmazter

Feb 1, 2016
This addon idea is really interesting. I really loved your idea about enemy mother ships. There is an alien vs predator modpack from one of the avp devs that spawns gigantic mother ships and other spaceships inside your minecraft world. If mod compatibility/support goes well with your addon, I can see this addon becoming one of those 'must have' addons for space exploration packs. You'd spend many mc days trying to conquer one of those mother ships.

You got my attention from now on. You have very ambitious ideas and I like it.

Oh and by the way what is this addon's version? 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10?

Last edited:
Reactions: dimion123

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Someone wanted a video?

It's not perfect, I only noticed that I broke the engine GUI somewhat while filming, but was too lazy to redo the video.

edit:
When Galacticraft 1.8 fully comes out will it be hard to update the mod with the motherships?
I have no idea. Maybe? I haven't looked at Forge in 1.8 at all.

Suggestions:

-Abandoned Spaceships in Asteroids. Find some supplies (metals, food, and fuel from the thrusters) and salvage them.
I was thinking of something like that already. That would be a generated structure in an asteroid belt. We'll see if I manage to do this.

-Remote Missions. Make orbit a small ship near a gas giant (attach it storage, holding empty canisters or tanks from other mods) to harvest a variying quantity of planet's gas. Get Nitrogen on Jupiter (idk), Methane on Saturn/Uranus and Atmospheric Gases on Neptune and any other. (please add a config for setting what gases you get on what planet)
Sounds possible per se. I can imagine some sort of a "probe launcher" block which can be activated if you are in an orbit, and then it does stuff for you. The question is whenever I would manage to make it look "nice", with an actual probe taking off and stuff (technically, the block would be just generating the resources out of nothing)

-Otherworldly Creatures. GONNA BE COMPLICATED. Those are like celestial bodies, except that the chance of seeing one is 15% per visit on the celestial screen (linked to server). Their size is always 100x100x10 blocks. Made of living material which is unbreakable. Kill the 4 giant tentacles then kill the core (entities; each tentacle has 100HP and the core has 500HP). The core drops a Otherworldly Bag(picks up items in a list, in the config file). Right-click on a EMPTY chest and it'll have random items of the list. If you fully kill the creature, you have 30 seconds to get out using a Recall Card (look below!), if not, you'll fall on the nearest celestial body. The gravity is very weak (better bring a grapple!) but there is oxygen here.

Hmm. Maybe? I myself had the idea that at some point, you could build a beacon of sorts which would summon a hostile mothership into the orbit around whereever you currently are as a sort of boss fight. You would have to board it, destroy it, then rush back to your rocket or jump off before it deorbits. If I manage to do that per se, I suppose instead of "Hostile mothership full of aliens" I could also generate it in the form of "huge multiblock alien creature"

-Ship/Station/Base/Rocket binding. If you're lost, near to death, or killed a OC, right-click it to get to a Bind Point! First, craft a Bind Point. (no idea on recipe) Then, place it down, anywhere. Requires energy (500 gJ for one recall, buffer holds 50000 gJ) No one other than the one who placed it can use it. Second, make a Recall Card. (still, no recipe idea...) Charge it to be able to use it (5 gJ for one use, buffer holds 500gJ) . Third, Right-click your Bind Point. You'll be able to teleport to it anytime, if the two are charged. You can also attach a point to a rocket, and you'll ride it!

That's all, finally.
mh, not sure about this one. I have been considering some sort of a startrek-like teleporter, but I think being able to recall from anywhere is quite overpowered. I was thinking more like: you build a teleporter on your ship, go down to a planet, and, while on the surface and not underground, you can use a remote to beam yourself up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.