Adfocus forcing unnecessary download of their software

Maine

Jun 1, 2014
This is primarily addressed to micdoodle8 - Adfocus is getting really sleazy as of late, and I think you may want to consider moving to some other option.

At least on Mac, when using your Adfocus download links, it pops up a dialog that cannot be cancelled (only an OK button), stating "Please install to continue".

Clicking OK (there's no option to cancel - this is a modal dialog which blocks closing the page) will download the Genieo installer software. This is not a fake "install this" dialog like on Adfly (which also tries to get users to install the same thing) - it's a real dialog.

At this point, there is a dimmed "Skip" button which can be used to download.

Downloading the first of the latest 3 files also popped up yet another ad page.

Genieo is classified by most major antivirus/anti-malware as a Trojan/Spyware/Adware.

Last edited:

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
This is primarily addressed to micdoodle8 - Adfocus is getting really sleazy as of late, and I think you may want to consider moving to some other option.

At least on Mac, when using your Adfocus download links, it pops up a dialog that cannot be cancelled (only an OK button), stating "Please install to continue".

Clicking OK (there's no option to cancel - this is a modal dialog which blocks closing the page) will download the Genieo installer software. This is not a fake "install this" dialog like on Adfly (which also tries to get users to install the same thing) - it's a real dialog.

At this point, there is a dimmed "Skip" button which can be used to download.

Downloading the first of the latest 3 files also popped up yet another ad page.

Genieo is classified by most major antivirus/anti-malware as a Trojan/Spyware/Adware.
I get this problem, click OK, and go on. It doesn't initiate the download, only downloads the installer. You may also be clicking the fake download button that sometimes appears above the real one.

Maine

Jun 1, 2014
Unfortunately, Safari automatically downloads the GenieoInstaller and does not give an option to not download. Firefox will ask where to save and allows canceling. There is no option to change this on Safari.

Additionally, the Safari default config (which I turned off long ago) will automatically open the .dmg file.

Safari is a decent browser, and many Mac users will be using it. I even use it myself on my Mac, using Firefox for HTML5/JavaScript development (though on Windows I use Firefox for everything).

I know my way around HTML and JavaScript enough that this is not user error. Mac users with standard setups are being subjected to a forced download of adware to download Galacticraft.

Maine

Jun 1, 2014
Google Chrome has always worked wonderfully for me. I don't typically use it except when updating Galacticraft.

That's a workaround, not a solution, and something someone needs to know in advance. Posting it here doesn't help, and would you propose micdoodle8 add "Don't download with Safari" next to his download links?

Nothing anybody else but micdoodle8 can post here is anything more than a workaround, compromise, an excuse, or useless banter. It's up to micdoodle8 to acknowledge this issue, and choose to resolve it (or not).

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I would like to know what is stopping you from hitting the skip button after it forces you to download the installer, as once again, it's only the installer. Now, it does open the file, but there is a very noticeable cancel button that you may click, and won't stop you from hitting the skip button, as it is the installer itself it wants you to download before advancing. While this is not a perfect solution, not everything has a solution.

Edit: I also just tested this to be sure I was correct.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
That's a workaround, not a solution, and something someone needs to know in advance. Posting it here doesn't help, and would you propose micdoodle8 add "Don't download with Safari" next to his download links?

Nothing anybody else but micdoodle8 can post here is anything more than a workaround, compromise, an excuse, or useless banter. It's up to micdoodle8 to acknowledge this issue, and choose to resolve it (or not).

I understand that may not be the specific answer you're looking for, but I've seen many situations that specify a particular web browser be used (or at least to avoid others). I don't see why this should be much different and why there couldn't just be a note added to the "How To Install" instructions. I however am not saying this is the most practical fix (or workaround, as you said), but it does allow you to download it as painlessly as it had always been before.

Maine

Jun 1, 2014
Yes, I can delete the download and not open it. The issue is for other users, who may not be as wary.

However, with Safari, there is no way to prevent the GenieoInstaller from downloading before you can click "skip" to download Galacticraft files. You can't even close the tab without accepting the dialog, which in turn initiates the download.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Yes, I can delete the download and not open it. The issue is for other users, who may not be as wary.

However, with Safari, there is no way to prevent the GenieoInstaller from downloading before you can click "skip" to download Galacticraft files. You can't even close the tab without accepting the dialog, which in turn initiates the download.
This is known as a fake ad (I forgot the actual name, but looked at information over it a week ago), and isn't AdFocus's fault. And while this is on AdFocus, it also happens on AdFly and other downloading software have this. The ad is by a user, not AdFocus. While not everyone is as wary, there is nothing else you Micdoodle could do besides a Direct Download.

Maine

Jun 1, 2014
This is known as a fake ad (I forgot the actual name, but looked at information over it a week ago), and isn't AdFocus's fault. And while this is on AdFocus, it also happens on AdFly and other downloading software have this. The ad is by a user, not AdFocus. While not everyone is as wary, there is nothing else you Micdoodle could do besides a Direct Download.

If you mean "fake window" or "fake modal dialog", it's absolutely not a fake window/modal dialog.

Direct download is always an option, at least until an alternative site is found or Adfocus cleans things up (are they not vetting the ads?). That is, of course, at Micdoodle's discretion.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
If you mean "fake window" or "fake modal dialog", it's absolutely not a fake window/modal dialog.

Direct download is always an option, at least until an alternative site is found or Adfocus cleans things up (are they not vetting the ads?). That is, of course, at Micdoodle's discretion.
I mean ad, that also goes against the rules of AdFocus advertising, but that's off topic. (The advertisement showing up while the SKIP button loads isn't by the actual company, and is wanting you to download other virus-filled products.)

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com

I must apologize. I updated yesterday and I now see exactly what you're talking about. I thought you were describing typical Adfocus behavior, but it has changed. Even with Google Chrome.

Click the link, takes to me to Adfocus page, wait for skip button, the "fake window" appears before skip button appears, ignore or close window, skip button appears, click skip, instantly downloads "chrome player" or some bs like that. Click skip again (without closing window) and downloads Galacticraft file like normal. Does this for all three files.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I must apologize. I updated yesterday and I now see exactly what you're talking about. I thought you were describing typical Adfocus behavior, but it has changed. Even with Google Chrome.

Click the link, takes to me to Adfocus page, wait for skip button, the "fake window" appears before skip button appears, ignore or close window, skip button appears, click skip, instantly downloads "chrome player" or some bs like that. Click skip again (without closing window) and downloads Galacticraft file like normal. Does this for all three files.
After you do it repeatedly, it stops for a couple days. Quite annoying.