Air production through electrolysis

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
As the title says, and I mentioned in another thread. It would be cool to be able to create air by electrolyzing water. The output of the machine would be two Hydrogen units and one Oxygen unit for every unit of water. Hydrogen could be stored and used as a fuel, and the oxygen stored and used to feed Oxygen sealers, distributors, compressors, or also stored in various tanks.

Rocket fuel could be created by combining a certain amount of liquid Hydrogen (that's Hydrogen that's cooled and under pressure or in minecraft just under pressure (IE in a tank)), normal fuel (refined from oil), and a little liquid oxygen as an oxidizer.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
It's a concept I'd love to have properly implemented. Electrolytic separators are featured in Mekanism as a way of producing oxygen and/or hydrogen. However, they are kind of cumbersome and lacking in functionality. The most notable drawback is the inability in outputting both hydrogen and oxygen at once, which means you have to set the separator to actively dump one gas in favor of the other.

Since spacecrafts in real life are producing oxygen through electrolysis, I think Galacticraft should feature electrolytic separators on its own. Those are actually really useful for cramped space stations as well as newly established off-world colonies.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
It's a concept I'd love to have properly implemented. Electrolytic separators are featured in Mekanism as a way of producing oxygen and/or hydrogen. However, they are kind of cumbersome and lacking in functionality. The most notable drawback is the inability in outputting both hydrogen and oxygen at once, which means you have to set the separator to actively dump one gas in favor of the other.

Since spacecrafts in real life are producing oxygen through electrolysis, I think Galacticraft should feature electrolytic separators on its own. Those are actually really useful for cramped space stations as well as newly established off-world colonies.

Rocket Fuel also uses oxygen as an oxydizer, so some oxygen and some hydrogen should be part of the recipe for fuel for the rockets.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
I like this. Better than having a bunch of oxygen wires making a base ugly since they have to be linked everywhere to fill all rooms with oxygen. Using this idea, the rooms only need to have a single barrier of water to be able to produce oxygen.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I like this. Better than having a bunch of oxygen wires making a base ugly since they have to be linked everywhere to fill all rooms with oxygen. Using this idea, the rooms only need to have a single barrier of water to be able to produce oxygen.

That's not exactly how I imagined it, but I guess it can be a possibility. I was imagining more of a techier looking oxygen production room. Some huge bubbling tanks, Water being pumped in and two pipes pumping out the product gases.

OpelSpeedster

Sep 29, 2013
That's not exactly how I imagined it, but I guess it can be a possibility. I was imagining more of a techier looking oxygen production room. Some huge bubbling tanks, Water being pumped in and two pipes pumping out the product gases.

Yeah, that sounds more interesting.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Yeah, that sounds more interesting.

Not that you're idea wasn't good. I guess you could still have smaller set ups in each room just like how now you can have a few trees and plants in each room. The water electrolysis is supposed to be higher tech than collecting it from trees. Not necessarily getting rid of all the oxygen piping. unless sealers are made to also be able to accept oxygen tanks.

Last edited:

glOOmyART

Sep 4, 2013
i tried that in galacticraft 1 with the electrolytic separator from mekanism but it didn't work... it seems that those were two different kinds of oxygen...

Aug 26, 2013
And you could make huge electrolysis chambers that produce the oxygen for your base/space station, and tons of hydrogen too. You could collect the H2 from the machines and transport them to Earth, and pump it into huge balloons of H2. The Earth's atmosphere contains lots of O2, and the 1:2 rate of O2 and H2 makes a gas mix that I don't know how you call in english, but it is 'bang gas' in Hungaryan. Of yourse if you would light the H2 balloons that would make a nice blast. BOOOOM!!!!!!

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
And you could make huge electrolysis chambers that produce the oxygen for your base/space station, and tons of hydrogen too. You could collect the H2 from the machines and transport them to Earth, and pump it into huge balloons of H2. The Earth's atmosphere contains lots of O2, and the 1:2 rate of O2 and H2 makes a gas mix that I don't know how you call in english, but it is 'bang gas' in Hungaryan. Of yourse if you would light the H2 balloons that would make a nice blast. BOOOOM!!!!!!

In real life NASA Rockets use hydrogren (compressed and cooled into liquid form) as fuel. That smoke you see from a NASA launch isn't smoke, it's Steam.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/technology/hydrogen/hydrogen_fuel_of_choice.html

Donzaffi

Sep 28, 2013
In a Kingdom far far away
In all languages I know its called the same, so I think in english too ;)

I love the idea with electrolyses, so you have a low tech technology (the collectors) and a high tier tech like the coal generators and the advanced solar panels. And a more spacey feeling,

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Oh yes, we would need a hydrogen gas storage- wait a minute...
Surely we could rename all the oxygen stuff to gas storage, and use that for oxygen and hydrogen?

Don't have to rename anything really. I have no problem having it be an option that's unlocked when certain other mods are installed. Kinda like the old versions of GC had different space station components when you had TE installed.

Don't have to rename anything really. I have no problem having it be an option that's unlocked when certain other mods are installed. Kinda like the old versions of GC had different space station components when you had TE installed.
I mean using oxygen storage modules as general gas storage modules. And for pipes etc. In fact, couldn't an oxygen pipe carry water!?