Airless dimensions should use the space station Sun graphic

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Totally aesthetics.

The space station dimension uses the white Sun graphic (\assets\galacticraftcore\textures\gui\planets\orbitalsun.png), instead of the yellowish Sun from vanilla Minecraft. I think this makes sense, since space station dimension is airless and there's no atmosphere to "color-shift" the Sun to red or yellow.

I suggest that the Moon and the Asteroids dimensions should use/have the same white sun from the station dimension.

The white sun:
B-McxLbIUAAtWif.png:large

The yellow sun on the Moon:
800px-Moon.png

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I totally agree.

That eclipse thing - wow, we should definitely have some more aesthetics for that too.

Planet aesthetics is the current focus of development, please bear with me as things will go a little slowly for the next few weeks.

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
I agree, the lack of atmosphere should have more of an effect. Also, the lack of atmosphere should also change temperature on the planet, not making it stable and going from very high to very low. The mars sun looks very suitable to the planet, and this effort into atmosphere design should go into other planets

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Once someone posted this https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/2251 on GitHub, I'm just bumping this topic to add detail.

My idea now would be:
  • Overworld sky: uses vanilla sun graphic. Let MCPatcher/Optifine take care of it if one wants to customize
  • Moon, Sub-orbital/Space Station dims: uses orbital sun graphic (galacticraftcore\textures\gui\planets\orbitalsun.png) in dimensions with no atmosphere. Its default color is white, and its hue color* and size can be manipulated via WorldProvider_.java. * - Preferably the color should be always the same throughout the dimensions of a solar system.
  • Planet dims: uses an atmospheric sun graphic (to be created), made specifically to blend with planets' skies. Its default color is white, and its hue color and size can be manipulated via WorldProvider_.java.

Last edited:

ZeChipmunkDr

Aug 8, 2014
Mexico
Extra suggestion for "realism" would be making the Makanism, and IC2 Windmills, not work on places like the Moon, Asteroids, and Space Station. Since they are all airless, there is no air to move the mill, so it doesn't work. Also, if a large enough Air tight building with enough Sealers is made, it can make the Windmills work in the airless dimensions, but with maybe half the efficiency, or something like that.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Extra suggestion for "realism" would be making the Makanism, and IC2 Windmills, not work on places like the Moon, Asteroids, and Space Station.
This topic is about how the Sun should look in every dimension's sky, so I started it with "Totally aesthetics" as 1st paragraph.

What you're suggesting deserves a topic of its own.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Hmm, this sounds like something addon makers should take care of, too. Or at least I should, with my SkyProviderDynamic. I suppose tinting a white PNG to appropriate colours should be possible

Reactions: Ezer'Arch