Airlocks/Sealed Rooms

Kamakani

Jul 15, 2013
Just curious if anyone else has done any testing on airlocks and sealed rooms. I've done quite a bit of testing on room dimensions for sealed rooms. The limit for a perfectly symmetrical rectangular room is 15x15x3 with the sealer embedded in the floor in the direct center of the room. If you increase the room height, or the walls in any direction by even 1 block (entire wall or ceiling, not just 1 block :p), then the sealer can no longer seal the room.

I then tested by creating a 30x15x3 room with 2 sealers spaced evenly apart, directly in the center of each of the 15 x 15 areas, and they could not seal the room.

I also began testing out Airlock doors. Airlock doors work great, and I intend to put them in all of my overworld bases too. However, if you have 2 sealed rooms next to eachother, you can no longer open an airlock door. I then created an airlock room. small cube room with an airlock door on each side connecting sealed rooms together, but when passing between the rooms through the airlock room, you lose health.

Am I doing something wrong?

Minecraft Version = 1.5.2

Forge Version = 7.8.1.738

Galacticraft Version = a0.1.36.410

Kamakani

Jul 15, 2013
The airlock is a door that will seal a room if you're on another planet, the moon for instance. You use the airlock door to seal the air in if you have the room sealed using an oxygen sealer. That way you can stay in the room without having your oxygen gear on. If you then have an Oxygen Compressor, you can refill your airtanks while in the room.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
In most normal situations an airlock room is required. I small room that makes you shut one airlock before you open another. Airlocks I don't believe are meant to be like front doors.

Kamakani

Jul 15, 2013
You can actually create a sealed room on the moon and put an airlock on the side and the airlock works fine, the room seals when the door is closed, and unseals when it is open. What I was attempting was to seal multiple rooms connected together. Doing so requires you to separate the rooms with a wall or multiple walls, using an airlock door is the only way. yet when attempting to pass through the door into another room, the door becomes glitched and emits a recurring sound, the sound of the door opening, continuously until the power to the door is cut, or a door block is broken.

EDIT: Creating an Airlock room between two rooms is something I tested as well. Yet when you do that, the airlock room becomes sealed and you encounter the same situation with the door becoming "Jammed" open and the recurring sound glitch happening. Which means, the Airlock is currently coded to be used like a front door, since they only seem to work if there is no sealed room on one side.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
I always envision an airlock as a sealed room in itself. IE if you wanted to go on a space walk you would open the airlock door to the airlock room. Close the door behind you. Open the airlock door to space. That way you don't depressurize the whole ship / spacestation / moonbase. I'm interested to hear from micdoodle on how he envisioned it to work.

I believe there was another topic around here somewhere on how to do this automatically.

Kamakani

Jul 15, 2013
I totally agree. That's how I wanted to set my base up. The problem is, you can't seal rooms without an airlock door. And since there is apparently a block limit to the room size that Oxygen Sealers can seal, and multiple Oxygen Sealers don't seem to be able to seal a larger room, I've been having to put Airlock doors between rooms. But in putting in airlock doors, they become glitched and continuously run the door open/close sound.

Here I'll give an example of the tests I've done.

I first tested room height. The Oxygen Sealer wasn't able to seal a room larger than 15 x 15 x 4 if the sealer was sitting on the floor. If put in the floor, the Oxygen Sealer can no longer seal that room, the room height had to be dropped by one to 15 x 15 x 3. I then attempted to increase the room size to see if 2 Oxygen Sealers could seal a larger room. After setting up a 30 x 15 x 3 room, I confirmed that 2 Oxygen Sealers set in the direct center of each 15 x 15 area could not seal the entire room. I added 2 more Oxygen Sealers with no positive results.

That was when I decided to add Airlock rooms between each room, which turned out to be the only way to seal each room. A small 3 x 5 x 3 (L x W x H) room connecting the two rooms together worked, but then I ran into the problem that if I seal both rooms and alternate the doors, the airlock room becomes sealed as well, and the Airlock door glitch occurs again.

Would appreciate if someone else would test to see if it is just my game that's doing this, or if someone else gets other results, or has found a work around. Having the doors break because there are two sealed rooms next to it seems a little odd. I wouldn't have an issue with the doors staying open between multiple sealed rooms if it didn't run that glitched sound on a loop.

EDIT: oh and I already have a button system using RedLogic gates and red wire that alternates the two doors on the airlock with the push of a button, and a button on each side of the airlock and inside the airlock, so the doors can be alternated from inside or outside, if that's what you were referring to.

Kamakani

Jul 15, 2013
Yes, Galacticraft 410, and red logic 55.4.1. haven't checked for updates on any of my mods yet.

Kamakani

Jul 15, 2013
ah. well I won't be upgrading to 1.6 any time soon so, sucks for me. Thanks for the info OanarchY.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
Air lock will now replace any air blocks with seal, not just check for ID zero. (commit: eb7de034c61d9b8fde770ce7b5b79a62e7b7fa8f) — mitchpetrie29 / detail

Fix oxygen distributor NPE. (commit: 59627bf3b0f1376d3732f12e8946b21bafc7ed25) — mitchpetrie29 / detail

Some big changes to how power and oxygen is handled. (commit: fe5296b8d4a8b395e57c28b8fbed091bd6770a50) — mitchpetrie29 / detail

This may not just be an Airlock issue. There have been quite a few changes to how oxygen is calculated.

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
The last is known its changed, but i didnt know about the other changes.:)
Thanks for the info.;)

Last edited: