Airlocks

Cerebot

May 20, 2018
I was thinking that we could add new kinds of airlocks into the game. They could look like the Martian airlocks from the movie, and be placed by a single block, kinda like the astrominer base. The airlock pressurizing cycle could be fully automated, and once you get in the airlock and close the door, you have to wait until the cycle finishes. There could also be a 1/100000 chance of it exploding, to add a real life feel to it, and the explosion would originate in the airlock block you placed. If you guys can, you could automated chat messages, like ”pressure stable” or ”malfunction” to signify if it worked or if it's going to explode. I think this idea is super cool, so please try to add it. You've added so many cool new things in GC4, and this would be a cool addition in my mind.
Thanks for listening,
Cerebot .

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
I like Airlocks! I build them on my planet bases! I love to build so I will probably always make my own and I tend to make them large, like moon buggy size on some. I did make a "true" airlock and it worked well, I just got tired of waiting for it to cycle all the time so now they just "look" good. The logic and blocks are in game for you to make one now. Although some enhancements to some of the current blocks would make things much easier to build without having to use other mods or so much "vanilla" redstone, (like "falling clock" or inverting redstone signals). For instance, just having the Airlock Controller be able to open on redstone high or low would be a big one. Or being able to toggle redstone output from the O2 detector. I believe these are scheduled for the power overhaul that is upcoming. Unfortunately we need more developers, and modelers that can pitch in.

There has been some discussion with Dev's about adding "hatches" and other "doors" and they are planning to. Hopefully when they get some time to start working on them we can have a thread on hatch types, like very low inertia doors, sounds simple but not so IRL, a door that can be pushed/pulled in 0g... ie controllable momentum that doesn't want to kill/crush you. I think the biggest issue is Dev time plus lack of Models and Textures. Adding a block to the game is more work than most people think. Some of the Dev's have mentioned that if they had "Good" models they would add them, so if you can make some models/textures:)

To make an Airlock, build a "chamber" with an airlock on each end, set the airlock controllers to open on redstone & player range. Add an Oxygen Detector and split the output, send one directly from the detector to the "base" side airlock controller, on the other, invert it and send it to the vacuum side airlock controller, then use an Oxygen Sealer(or 2) or a Bubble Gen(be sure the O2 Detector is in bubble). Then flip a lever, wait for O2 pressurization/cycle. If you want to have outer airlock to unlock for multiplayer you have to make a remote "4 way" switch to toggle the gen/sealer on/off. You could use logic gates(my preference when available). You could also use pistons, but I don't like the noise or bulk of using them. You could always just use the illusion of an airlock, by having the them far enough apart so they can never open at the same time, and use "falling clocks" on redstone to force a delay in redstone signal to airlock open event to account for or simulate cycle time.

Here's an old version on one:
https://imgur.com/U0WDypO
I really like the blocks themselves too, and use them as doors on the overworld since I like to make big 3x3's. And who doesn't like star trek doors!!?

Cerebot

May 20, 2018
Ezer'Arch,
That's pretty cool! Can't wait to see it in the next update! (If you are implementing it)

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
How can you do it, with which mods?
Galacticraft. XD

Just build a 3x3x1 air lock frame with an air lock controller. Open the air lock controller window and check "Horizontal mode".

For the details (rims and whatever): I use Multipart and Carpenter's Blocks.

Cerebot

May 20, 2018
Ezer'Arch,
Oh, I thought you were talking about my idea from my article... XD...
Cerebot

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
There are quite a few things you can do with GC Blocks! You can checkout my GC builds album on imgur if you want, I've been starting to update it again, since I lost a ton of stuff in a hard drive crash and burn. So you may get some build ideas. I was playing minecraft for a while before I discovered Modded Minecraft, but I still tend to use vanilla mechanics, so almost everything I build is repeatable without having to rely on mods. If you know your modded stuff it's easy to replace the vanilla redstone, hoppers, glass item elevators etc.

https://qudshot.imgur.com/all

Reactions: Ezer'Arch