An Exploreable Space Enviroment

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sai'Raikin, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Sai'Raikin

Sai'Raikin Member

I was wondering if it could be possible to have space as a dimension, so you could fly where you wanted? Like, you leave the atmosphere and you enter the Space dimension. You have a interplanetary map in your ship so you could see where your current position is and where your objective is. Also, it would tell you of incoming comet and meteor threats.

I think that would be cool! I don't know about other people.

Hope you consider my idea!

-Sai

2. ClayCarmine1205

um for me just no to mind boggling.

3. goldfang35

goldfang35 Member

I've read quite a few posts about this being implemented, I too have posted supporting this idea as instead of a menu appearing you'd just get shot into space and start wandering. I think that having a map is boring though i think it would be quite fun to get lost in space and not know when a meteor, junk or anything having a chance to just hit you at ten's of thousands of miles per hour.

czarj02dwarf likes this.
  4. ClayCarmine1205

I would support this if it wasn't planetary travel (ie. you could walk to the next planet with out any rockets or anything.) If that was not able to happen I would support this.

5. tyrantelf

tyrantelf Administrator

Some of the problems your going to run into with this are things like changing gravity, oxygen availability, etc. without changing to a different "dimension".
    Is it possible? probably. Is it probable? probably not. I can't speak for micdoodle, but I don't think it would be worth the effort, at least at this stage.

czarj02dwarf, Qeztotz and CPL-Coconut like this.
  6. ClayCarmine1205

ok it is sticking with me that it'll end up you can walk to planets and you have a good point tyrantelf. :)

7. Marc

Marc Member

You can't walk in space.

8. CPL-Coconut

CPL-Coconut Member

To be fair, you have to consider rendering and lag. The amount of lag from implementing this idea would just be immense, my computer would have a lag-fest/tantrum of epic proportions.

Qeztotz likes this.
  9. ClayCarmine1205

so you couldnt walk in it id be ok with that

10. Sai'Raikin

Sai'Raikin Member

Why does everyone say being able to walk to other planets? Thats such a dumb idea.....

11. Dunewolfz

Dunewolfz He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
    Staff Member

Because walking on other planets makes sense, there's a little thing called gravity to hold you to the ground. Besides, you have a free-floating space dimension, the Space Station dimension is infinite, so just fly your ship around there as you please.

12. ClayCarmine1205

ok if you ad a ship into it id be better with that would space just be empty and not have anything in it or could you be able to get to the other planets that would make me be ok with it.

13. goldfang35

goldfang35 Member

I dont think you get the point why would you fly around in space for nothing, the reason for this post is to say that people want to actually fly to planets on a spaceship not just a place to fly. And also about the walk to planets stuff why not just make it so if you walk to a planet you die once you enter due to hitting the atmosphere or falling from high place

14. Dunewolfz

Dunewolfz He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
    Staff Member

One word; lag.

15. tyrantelf

tyrantelf Administrator

^ Some suggestions are good, but just aren't worth the resources it takes to implement them. The mod has to run on almost any computer, or it wouldn't be worth developing. You could do a lot of things, but most computers just couldn't handle them.

16. ClayCarmine1205

You have a good point but I was not with the idea that you did not nead a space ship to get to other planets.
    also as Dunewolfz said lag.

17. TheAssasin21

TheAssasin21 Member

my computer can't handle that!

18. goldfang35

goldfang35 Member

what about using a system like flans mod where you can add more stuff to the mod and some of those would be owner made adding space travel, black holes, yady yada, you get the point so that weaker computers can still enjoy galacticraft lag free but if you have a better computer you can add addons.

19. ClayCarmine1205

there is a section for addons.