Any Thaumcraft players here? Your views needed...

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I've had a request to include Thaumcraft aspects for Galacticraft items.

I'm not a Thaumcraft player myself, but I understand the concept that all / most vanilla items have one or more out of Thaumcrafts 40+ aspects, so that if you throw the items into a crucible, you can make up a mixture of aspects, and if you get the mixture exactly right it will produce some new item.

I believe that Thaumcraft automatically figures out aspects of some crafted items, if it knows the aspects of all the items in the crafting recipe. Obviously that's not going to help with naturally occurring items in Galacticraft, for example Cheese Curd or Raw Desh. Nor will it help with many crafted Galacticraft items because Thaumcraft doesn't know aspects for the Compressed metals.

I'm thinking about adding in some aspects but before I do the work involved, I'd like some comments on:

* how useful will this be - how many players play Thaumcraft and Galacticraft together

* which items are crying out for aspects to be added - I'm thinking only basic materials and blocks and basic metals (tin copper aluminium ingots) and then many other things should "take care of themselves"

* any strong opinions on the aspects which certain items should have ... for example should anything have Alienis or is that really for Ender Pearls and related items?

This needs to be handled carefully because we don't want to open up a way for players to manufacture items involving - for example - Desh in a cauldron if the player has not reached Mars yet. Best way to handle that seems to be to set no aspect for Compressed Meteoric Iron, Compressed Desh or Compressed Titanium or their ingots, so that items involving those materials will have to always be made the Galacticraft way.

Last edited:

babybasher

Feb 13, 2015
I use thaumcraft, but am no where near an expert to comment. I'm still figuring it out, Only started it a couple of weeks ago. Awesome mod though!

I did notice it was a cake walk finding nodes on the moon, they are light up the area like a torch there :p

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Node generation on the moon should not be any more common than on the Overworld. If it's easier to find nodes, I guess that makes up for the lack of Silverwood trees :)

Jun 14, 2014
Yay! Personally I would love aspects for galacticraft. Mainly the machines, rockets, life support, and mobs though. Perhaps as far a new aspects goes maybe meteoric? I've played thaumcraft since thaumcraft 2 and so a lot of the galacticraft things would mostly fit under vanilla thaumcraft aspects.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Great stuff, Useablewings09 - any specific suggestions for some aspects things should have?

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Hmm, I have Galacticraft alongside Thaumcraft for quite a while now, and I was thinking about adding some aspects via Minetweaker. I wasn't quite sure what aspects to put on what items. I think I put Volatus and Iter onto the Rockets and Fames on the lunar cheese at least.

First, I wouldn't put Alienis on space rocks just because it's not from earth, that would make Alienis way too easy to get. But I think all the stone blocks should have Terra at least (like regular stones/dirt), any types of cobble also perditio.

Copper, Iron, Tin, their ores, ingots and blocks usually have aspects when they come from other mods, they should have the same regardless where they come from. Not sure about aluminum, though. I gave it Metallum+Volatus (because it's light).

For Meteoric Iron, Desh and Titanium/Ilmenite Ore, not sure. Definitely Metallum, but besides that? I don't even know what desh is supposed to be, so you could just add any other aspects you feel like fitting. Maybe Tenebrae because it's dark? For Titanium, maybe Tutamen. For Meteor Iron, ignis maybe?

Machines:
- Definitely Machina for everything
- Sensus for all Detectors, display screens and telemetry modules
- Potentia for everything energy-generating
- lux for solar collectors, arc lamps
- Aer for everything gas-related
- Ignis for the furnaces
- Permutatio for Terraformer, Refiniery, Water electrolyzer
- Vacuous for Oxygen Collector and the storage module
- Gelum for Cryogenic chamber
- Iter for Telepads
- Fabrico for everything which crafts (ingot compressor, circuit FABRICator)

Other stuff:
- Glowstone Torch: 1 Lux
- Astro Miner: at least Machina, Perfodio, about 10 of each?
- Rockets: Volatus, Iter, Machina, Ignis, the higher the tier the more
- Cargo Rocket: the same, plus Vacuous
- Alien Villager: Alienis, Humanus
- Slimeling: Bestia, Limus, Alienis
- Sludgeling: Limus, Victus, Alienis
- Dense Ice: Gelum, maybe some Ordo
- Crude Oil: Aqua, Potentia?
- Fuel: Aqua, Ignis, Potentia?
- Bacterial Sludge: Victus, Alienis, Limus, Aqua?
- Cavernous Vine: Herba, Venenum, maybe Alienis
- Cheese ore/curd/Block: Fames
- NASA Workbench: Fabrico

No idea:
- launch/fueling pads, cargo/fuel loaders/unloaders. Maybe just metallum
- cables/pipes/walkways
- airlocks
- Beam thingys

Also, I found this list with the vanilla aspects. It might be helpful:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-nmL5RXJ1hCiPhWiXJaemrLcztw6YK0sIhfmWbM0X78/edit

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thank you, that's helpful.

Copper, Iron, Tin, their ores, ingots and blocks usually have aspects when they come from other mods,

Please can you list for me what these are, or give me a link, as I do not know - like I said, I'm not a Thaumcraft player (though I have a lot of respect for it - like Witchery, it seems like a well thought out, consistent, complex mod with a lot of good content).

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Your list and that list you found are actually both very helpful indeed, thank you. I will think about whether I can do this as a standalone file or a config so that people can tweak it without needing MineTweaker.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Hmm, I'm not at a PC where I could look it up and I don't seem to be able to find the info on google, but if I remember it correctly, an iron ingot has about 4 metallum and nothing else, copper has 3 metallum and 1 permutatio, and tin 3 metallum and 1 vitreus

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
So, the rule for ingots seems to be, 4 points total, with 3 being metallum, and 1 something else, like Permutatio for Copper and Vitreus for Tin. Iron has just 4 Metallum

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Maybe rocket pads have 32 metallum 5 machina. I'll start making a list
Also Iter and Volatus. About 16 of each?

There is another issue with Thaumcraft/Galacticraft: Thaumcraft Golems suffocate in airless areas (like on the moon). Can this be fixed on Galacticraft's side?

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
BTW, to whoever has both Thaumcraft and Galacticraft, I heavily recommend ForbiddenMagic. It's blink focus is pretty much a magical grappling hook, and VERY useful on space stations