Assembly and Research System

How do you feel about this suggestion?

• I dislike the thought of needing so many resources to go through the stages. Otherwise, great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Thoughts Posted in Comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
*WARNING : All Readers, Please Read Through All The Pages Below To See The Current Status of the Suggestion*

Note; My project of making a complete chart ended abruptly when access to the (highly unstable) builds of GC3 Dev ended. Thus, it may seem a bit lacking.

THE RESEARCH TABLE - The Research Table would make it so players would have to spend time, and research points to unlock new recipes, and machines. While taking time away and causing delays in travel, players could do something more productive while researching, such as carrying on Vanilla tasks. This would be unlocked at the start, and the first "NODE" would be unlocked, the START NODE. After research is complete, the node is entered in a queue, until paper and ink sacs are placed so the research can be transferred to paper and taken to the next step in development. There are a few inventory spaces in the table for the notes to "hangout" at until moved. Also, tabs could be used to show only certain types of nodes, Overworld/General, All, Mars, Moon, NASA Workbench, etc. The pixel art of the name of the table is below.
research_table.png

THE BLUEPRINT BENCH - After research, players must gather up the notes, and take it to the Blueprint Bench. The blueprints would take blank blueprints, ink sacs, and time to make. They are then placed in a small inventory space until moved once more, this time to the final stage.

THE DEVELOPMENT STATION - The final stage in development, the Development Station. It's as simple as taking a blueprint here, hitting the unlock button like on Galacticraft-1.6.4-2.0.12.1010, thus then unlocking the machine to be built at the station, or a recipe unlocked that the machines can build. This would have several tabs to help reduce messiness.

THE NASA WORKBENCH - The same as before, it will continue to be used to make vehicles. It has its on node color on the Research Tree.

NODES - Nodes are the term for each square on the research table. The colors on them represent the "dimension," and the image represents what it will unlock. There are also 3 types of node forms. Unlocked, Researched, and Locked. Locked is mostly black, unlocked is grey, and researched as full color. The name of the node is shown at unlocked and researched. ??? for locked. Information becomes available at researched, while only prerequisites are shown on Unlocked. The colors and forms are below.
Overworld Node Background.png Moon Node Background.png Mars Node Background.png
Node Locked.png Node Unlocked.png Node Learned.png

BLANK BLUEPRINT - Paper, lapis lazuli, and an ink sac make the blank blueprint, used to move your notes to paper at the cost of time!

RESEARCH POINTS - Research Points would be obtained by achievements and by making the machines for the first time. It could also accumulate over time of game-play, but would likely annoy people to have to wait longer.

THE RESEARCH TREE - You may notice it is incomplete, because of my abrupt end to working on it. This tree shows the basics of what the actual tree would resemble.
Node Research Chart.png

CONFIG - In the config, this could be turned off, or give players all the nodes. When playing for the first time, a file would generate storing information of unlocked nodes for each world. This way, it could check whenever a player gets on and could also be changed by the player if an error, or greed, occurs.

Last edited:

radyjko

May 7, 2014
Glassteria
Ok, i think it's good, but you should visit some planets our sun system even if your system will be introduced. In other solar systems 90% your idea, only some so OP and awsome technology need old schematics.

Did you play thaumcraft 4?

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Ok, i think it's good, but you should visit some planets our sun system even if your system will be introduced. In other solar systems 90% your idea, only some so OP and awsome technology need old schematics.

Did you play thaumcraft 4?
Nope, I don't use ThaumCraft.

I had trouble understanding your post. Our sun system, meaning solar system or star system? The Sun is the name of our star. Also, maybe I wasn't specific enough on how the nodes worked. Prerequisites, and requirements for nodes. Requirements would include getting certain achievements, or going to certain places before unlocking them. Mars nodes would always require you going to that place once, along with other things.

radyjko

May 7, 2014
Glassteria
Awwwww I knew you won't understand me. My awsome english :(

Anyway
Sun system = sun and its planets
Solar system = other stars and their planets.

I mean that you can find some more advanced blueprints on planets in other star systems technologies.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Awwwww I knew you won't understand me. My awsome english :(

Anyway
Sun system = sun and its planets
Solar system = other stars and their planets.

I mean that you can find some more advanced blueprints on planets in other star systems technologies.
Oh, like using the original blueprint collection for other solar systems. I was thinking more in the . . . solar system . . . where the nodes would be invisible until you went to that planet/moon/celestial body. =3 Some of the research things I did before the quitting on it was that you would have to research about planets. The second branch, with only one node, is for General Astronomy. :D

radyjko

May 7, 2014
Glassteria
Oh... I did it... again. ;_;
You can find blueprint ready to develop. You don't need to do research about that (and you can't do that) Everything you must do is insert blueprint into development station and unlock it. Nodes for that research are avalible, but hidden.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Oh... I did it... again. ;_;
You can find blueprint ready to develop. You don't need to do research about that (and you can't do that) Everything you must do is insert blueprint into development station and unlock it. Nodes for that research are avalible, but hidden.
I said that. XD
Oh, like using the original blueprint collection for other solar systems.:D

Reactions: radyjko

radyjko

May 7, 2014
Glassteria
So that mean... I don't understand you! :D

Also develop station could store basic information and recipes of stuff you researched. Something like guide for beginners.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
So that mean... I don't understand you! :D

Also develop station could store basic information and recipes of stuff you researched. Something like guide for beginners.
It would have the rough images on the slots and not allow the wrong items to be placed in said slots. Though, we do have a wiki available and NEI, or TMI, or those other mods that can show recipes, can always help out!

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I've been wondering myself how an R&D system could potentially work in GC, and this looks like a good start. Could be a very interesting topic of discussion.

I think research points could possibly eliminate the dependence on tier X blueprints found as dungeon exclusive loot. It sounds more practical to have it taken over by an achievement based system that rewards the player with a balanced amount of research points to be invested on currently available projects.

I shall consider some ideas of my own.

Reactions: MoltonMontro

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I've been wondering myself how an R&D system could potentially work in GC, and this looks like a good start. Could be a very interesting topic of discussion.

I think research points could possibly eliminate the dependence on tier X blueprints found as dungeon exclusive loot. It sounds more practical to have it taken over by an achievement based system that rewards the player with a balanced amount of research points to be invested on currently available projects.

I shall consider some ideas of my own.
I've had a spot for an achievement suggestion in my Signature for a while now, I recommend using some actual achievement pictures to help people imagine it. :)

Thanks for the support. :D

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Alright, I've made a simple concept GUI as food for thought:

emtdmnl.png

In this version is:
Green = researched
Yellow = unlocked
Red = unavailable (due to required technology hasn't been researched)
Black/Dark grey = Locked

Each node is representing a program. By bringing the mouse cursor over a node it will display details about the program. Tiers are organized into separate zones which are unlocked when a world has been "conquered". The technology tree is scrolled horizontally.

Perhaps separate technology trees could be organized into categories (note the "Rocketry" and "EVA" tabs) depending on if it would prove to be favorable.

I'd imagine multiple players could share their progress as long as they are using a common research table.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
What if there were some nodes that could be unlocked by one node or another, so you aren't forced to go down both trees if you didn't want/need to. This would only happen in areas where it would make sense, possibly towards the end of trees where it splits in to something new, but related.

Also, great images. 32x32?

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
What if there were some nodes that could be unlocked by one node or another, so you aren't forced to go down both trees if you didn't want/need to. This would only happen in areas where it would make sense, possibly towards the end of trees where it splits in to something new, but related.

That's pretty much my main concern about it. I'll preferably go for the most user-friendly approach, which would probably be one single large tech-tree organized in a similar manner to the achievement menu. Space is kind of limited though, but innovation isn't fortunately.

Also, great images. 32x32?

The frames are ripped from Minecraft's achievements menu, which are 22x22. The thing I did with them was some recoloring and drew a few simple icon for them.

Anyhow, thinking about assembling the rockets. Normally the whole rockets are assembled and then carried manually by the player all the way to the launchpad. But how about the concept of having modules of the rockets build and then brought to the launchpad for assembly through some automated build-up process?

Here's a basic example on how a Moon rocket could look like during pre-assembly:

W99wWiw.png

On top is the Command/Service Module, or simply known as the CSM. Aside from from getting the crew into lunar orbit it's also your ride home.

The next thing packed behind fairings beneath the CSM is the Lander Module. While primarily meant to soft land you on the Moon, it will also have an ascent stage capable of bringing you back to lunar orbit for rendezvous with the CSM. I'm not speaking for or against any actual docking scenes at this point though.

In order to lift this stuff you will need a rocket, obviously. Boosters are simply defined by tier. This concept is also assuming stacking multiple boosters into multi-stage rockets (which I hope will eventually become a reality in GC).

A single tier 1 rocket is sufficient for taking a CSM into space. But for any additional modules you'll need to complement the rocket with additional booster stages, which would probably be based on a simple weight to lift equation. In the picture's context it's 1 booster for the CSM, and 1 booster for the Lander Module. The 3rd additional rocket slot could maybe appear as side-mounted boosters, which could possibly be needed for real heavy-lifting missions like bringing a spacestation module into orbit, or possibly even for a direct-ascent Moon landing (bringing the CSM directly on the Moon) as an alternative to the historical Lunar Orbit Rendezvous approach.

Higher tier payload would multiply in weight, but so will higher tier booster do in lift capacity. Assuming a tier 2 booster has twice the lift capacity over a tier 1, you'd effectively only need one tier 2 booster to get a tier 1 capsule and lander to the Moon.

Admittedly does this seem quite ambition and perhaps even just a pipedream.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
What's the third payload slot for? Special attachments for planets/moons/celestial bodies where landing could prove dangerous or difficult?

I'm not sure myself. I guess one use could also pack space station module when out on interplanetary travels. So upon arriving to a new planet you'd be able to deploy an orbital HQ right away.

Otherwise I don't think your idea is too bad either. One could always bring a lander probe for surface reconnaissance or an automated satellite that could enable a local minimap for the players who have access to it.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I do have some ideas for the NASA Workbench. Since modules are going to be multi-tiered, perhaps each respective module type could be categorized into tabs?

R5Kba0f.gif

In this example there's one tab respectively for boosters, capsules, and landers. There's also a technology tab to the far right for inputting new blueprints and perhaps also checking the current technology tree. New tabs may be gradually added as new technologies are unlocked. The "Back" and "Next" button is for switching tier.

I'm not sure how module upgrade should be managed.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Depending on the "dimension," some upgrades/modules should be required. Meanwhile, others can work as a cosmetic, or to just improve your survival chances, such as chests or an orbital HQ, like you suggested.