Assembly and Research System

How do you feel about this suggestion?

• I dislike the thought of needing so many resources to go through the stages. Otherwise, great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Thoughts Posted in Comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 17, 2014
now when i read it again.. some recipes need worked out but.. THIS IDEA IS FUCKING AWESOME LIKE LIKE SUPPORT OOMMGGG :p (first time i thought removing nasa workbench etc)

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
For the research table I did, I included a branch for learning about celestial bodies themselves, so you knew what you needed to travel. This also leads to replacing the current GUI for travel with a better version of the Galaxy map.
---------
Also, if the R&D is in one table, then there should be a tab, or a spot, for blueprint(s).

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
(Original GUI Concept Done by SpaceViking)
hK5nlkJ.gif

I've added a spot at the bottom to name the rocket, seems very important to me. :)

aTJ127V.gif

I removed the extra info. so you could see better, made the green boxes for (cargo?) aligned. I also added a fourth tab for extra stuff, satellites, recon drones, that stuff.
DNwlYcG.gif

Here I added a spot to make your blueprints, by using (and fixing the arrow) from the first GUI shown with the blueprints. I also fixed the lines, so the tree could scroll down. Just simple changes to be more accurate. :)

Remember, The Original GUI was done by SpaceViking!

Last edited:

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I think these 3 GUIs are the basic idea of what it would be, SpaceViking. The R&D table could be 2 blocks wide, thus allowing actual space to develop, and research. Possibly another button could switch between the two, or clicking on a different table side would.

I just realized that you'd fit multiple things on one blueprint xD if you unlock 3 things at once. I still like the thought of using blueprints. Though, these new ones are MUCH better looking. (No offense, but . . . offense.)

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Any bystander and forum community feedback on the stuff would be appreciated, or questions that could make the GUIs better.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
now when i read it again.. some recipes need worked out but.. THIS IDEA IS FUCKING AWESOME LIKE LIKE SUPPORT OOMMGGG :p (first time i thought removing nasa workbench etc)
It's great to hear that a simple rereading changed your mind, my good sir! I was thinking it had to do with @micdoodle8's post. ^^'

Well, @MoltonMontro had said that NASA workbench would be still in the game since the beginning, as quoted below. You had said you were against it because.... erm... I forgot, let me see... oh, you deleted your posts! No problem, I'll respect your decision, mr. TheObsidianPower790. :)

THE NASA WORKBENCH - The same as before, it will continue to be used to make vehicles. It has its on node color on the Research Tree. (last edit: May 22 20014)

May 17, 2014
It's great to hear that a simple rereading changed your mind, my good sir! I was thinking it had to do with @micdoodle8's post. ^^'

Well, @MoltonMontro had said that NASA workbench would be still in the game since the beginning, as quoted below. You had said you were against it because.... erm... I forgot, let me see... oh, you deleted your posts! No problem, I'll respect your decision, mr. TheObsidianPower790. :)
I thought it got removed nasa workbench. i dont usually swear but every time i read this ideas. BEST FUCKIG IDEA EVER FOR GALACTICRAFT :D i hope mitch adds this soon :D . said from an very picky often non-suporting OCD person :p *brofist*

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
For the research table I did, I included a branch for learning about celestial bodies themselves, so you knew what you needed to travel. This also leads to replacing the current GUI for travel with a better version of the Galaxy map.

Yeah, that would be cool. It would be like an active checklist that always fills you in. Putting that map of the Solar system to more use would also be a good thing, since it's a pretty fancy feature. Potentially it could be a mission planner that makes sure you have the right equipment and upgrades before launch.

Additionally, the idea of sending lander probes (potentially a satellite+lander combo) to new worlds before actually stepping on them could be a part of gameplay. Either it could be a bonus for unlocking additional technologies in advance (like unlocking lunar rovers when landing a lunar probe), or it could be a necessity for learning about how to survive in a new hostile environment. Landing a probe in advance would also help new players familiarizing with GC's landing system and possibly even reduce loadtime for any future landing since the process would initiate chunks generation. It could also be a way of sending supplies in advance.

-snip-
I've added a spot at the bottom to name the rocket, seems very important to me. :)

Sure. Customization is fun and an officially planned feature. There could even be a 'Customize' button to switch between various part models and paint jobs.
- "You don't like the default lander design? Why not try out this more streamlined model with some flames on! And while at it, why not give the rocket some flames, too!"

Eitherway, I actually avoided putting the button 'Assemble' on the bottom-right so people would not risk missclick it when getting stuffs from the inventory. Missclicking the 'Customize' button wouldn't be as annoying though, so it would be okay having it down there I think.

Perhaps a button for disassemble could be practical, but I'm not sure about that at this point. One could just simply wreck the rocket with his bare hands.

-snip-
I removed the extra info. so you could see better, made the green boxes for (cargo?) aligned. I also added a fourth tab for extra stuff, satellites, recon drones, that stuff.

I'd imagine these are upgrade slots, just like in regular GC. Upgrades could alternatively be in a separate tab, perhaps. But yeah, unmanned probes would be in a category of its own.

You did remove that technology tab presumably used for unlocking new stuff with blueprints and previewing the current tech tree though. Was that intentional?

-snip-
Here I added a spot to make your blueprints, by using (and fixing the arrow) from the first GUI shown with the blueprints. I also fixed the lines, so the tree could scroll down. Just simple changes to be more accurate. :)

I can't complain. I'd imagine the tech tree can turn out to be pretty large in the future.

I think these 3 GUIs are the basic idea of what it would be, SpaceViking. The R&D table could be 2 blocks wide, thus allowing actual space to develop, and research. Possibly another button could switch between the two, or clicking on a different table side would.

I don't mind it being 2 blocks wide. The R&D GUI could be adjusted to have two separate tabs on the top categorized as 'Research' and 'Development'. It would be pretty nifty I think. 'Milestones' could be a small button somewhere else instead.

Though I've not entirely grasped the point of the so called Development Station. Is it like a tech bank and optional crafting table for hardware that doesn't need a NASA Workbench to be crafted?

I just realized that you'd fit multiple things on one blueprint xD if you unlock 3 things at once. I still like the thought of using blueprints. Though, these new ones are MUCH better looking. (No offense, but . . . offense.)

I didn't think of that. Maybe one would need to select a specific node by clicking on it and then press on a 'Print' button to make a physical copy? Though I do also like the idea of storing multiple technologies, possibly in a single book or something. In a way it could be a way of making a backup of your entire tech tree.

In a way I think blueprints makes things a bit inconvenient, but they are potentially useful for multiplayer games where technologies can be shared, traded or stolen. I also think it fits the theme of Minecraft well, which is gameplay-wise materialistic to the very core.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
This... is kinda super fantastically amazing.
:D

Sure. Customization is fun and an officially planned feature. There could even be a 'Customize' button to switch between various part models and paint jobs.
- "You don't like the default lander design? Why not try out this more streamlined model with some flames on! And while at it, why not give the rocket some flames, too!"
I thought about paint jobs, but then I just thought about the upcoming flag changes. Fully custom painting options, anyone?

Eitherway, I actually avoided putting the button 'Assemble' on the bottom-right so people would not risk missclick it when getting stuffs from the inventory. Missclicking the 'Customize' button wouldn't be as annoying though, so it would be okay having it down there I think.
I didn't think of that. If I did, it wouldn't have been about the possible trouble. I probs. would have moved assemble to the bottom. XD

Perhaps a button for disassemble could be practical, but I'm not sure about that at this point. One could just simply wreck the rocket with his bare hands.
Possibly, I'd be fine either way. I actually would probably just make a new rocket.

I'd imagine these are upgrade slots, just like in regular GC. Upgrades could alternatively be in a separate tab, perhaps. But yeah, unmanned probes would be in a category of its own.
I guess it might depend on the upgrade. Like, a satellite is it's own, but extra reinforcing wouldn't be. Maybe.

You did remove that technology tab presumably used for unlocking new stuff with blueprints and previewing the current tech tree though. Was that intentional?
It was, I hadn't figured out a good way to switch between both GUIs.

I can't complain. I'd imagine the tech tree can turn out to be pretty large in the future.
Yeah, the later tiers could go down lower. Plus, the bottom line you had was one pixel too low. It KILLED me.

I don't mind it being 2 blocks wide. The R&D GUI could be adjusted to have two separate tabs on the top categorized as 'Research' and 'Development'. It would be pretty nifty I think. 'Milestones' could be a small button somewhere else instead.
I was going to look at how the inventory GUI looks with CustomNPCs and GalactiCraft 2, since it adds extra buttons there.

Though I've not entirely grasped the point of the so called Development Station. Is it like a tech bank and optional crafting table for hardware that doesn't need a NASA Workbench to be crafted?
I think I thought of it to reduce crafting recipe conflicts, so non-vehicles and certain machines had a vanilla crafting table, but this would be the crafting table for everything else. Thus, very few conflicts. That was the main point I believe.

I didn't think of that. Maybe one would need to select a specific node by clicking on it and then press on a 'Print' button to make a physical copy? Though I do also like the idea of storing multiple technologies, possibly in a single book or something. In a way it could be a way of making a backup of your entire tech tree.
Books! A great idea!

In a way I think blueprints makes things a bit inconvenient, but they are potentially useful for multiplayer games where technologies can be shared, traded or stolen. I also think it fits the theme of Minecraft well, which is gameplay-wise materialistic to the very core.
That, and I like the idea of using blueprints already in GalactiCraft. It'd also be easy to re-implement on a different GUI.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
4 months to minecraft 1.8 + 2 months to forge for 1.8 + 3 months to GC4 update itself

About 9 months of waiting, yey! :D
If that is true, then I will love the speed of which it was released.

EDIT:

Also, I'll make a crafting recipe for the blueprint really quick. It shouldn't be difficult.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
By right clicking on a blueprint book, or blueprint paper, it should pull up a GUI of the design. Purely cosmetic, purely epic looking. :D