Asteroid Mining

mattb66

Feb 25, 2013
United States
Warning: Contains GC3 Spoilers
If you don't wish to know anything about this update until it comes out, read at your own risk!
If you've been keeping up with the news and stuff, you're fine.​

Anyway, so with the new dimension coming out I was thinking about a machine that could be used for asteroid mining. Obviously a "capture mission" that is envisioned for the future could not be implemented in Minecraft, so why not a drive-able machine that acts as a drill? It would be something like the solar panel/nasa workbench block where you place it down and it needs space, and then you could right click and sort of "enter" it. It would have a drill that mines blocks that could be configurable in the gui.

For example, if you place this thing down on an asteroid and entered the drill, a gui could pop up which enables you to select which blocks it would mine. Probably surface, sub-surface, and the stone block or whatever as well as ores. This could be useful if you wanted to take off the surface and sub-surface blocks to get to the core, or if you wanted to hollow out the center to make a base.

I don't know what it would look like or how far it could reach and stuff like that. I figured this could be the Asteroid version of the moon buggy/cargo rocket for the other two dimensions and the schematic could be found in dungeons of course.

Please let me know what you think or if this is impossible/stupid/pointless in the comments.

Jul 13, 2014
that's a good idea. only when you have a lot of this(that are automated), you don't need to do nothing, not? and that delete the fun of mining. but you can also don't use that, not? so that's a good idea.

mattb66

Feb 25, 2013
United States
that's a good idea. only when you have a lot of this(that are automated), you don't need to do nothing, not? and that delete the fun of mining. but you can also don't use that, not? so that's a good idea.

Yeah I was really trying to think of a way to mine asteroids at a large scale. It would be quicker and easier than mining, but of course you still can.

Jul 13, 2014
Yeah I was really trying to think of a way to mine asteroids at a large scale. It would be quicker and easier than mining, but of course you still can.
I agree! Mining on a large scale is very useful. I can use it for a part of the world and I can mine in the remained part, so I have fun and a lot of materials!