Atmosphere-dependent furnaces

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Now I admit I never tried using furnaces on the Moon or so, but in GC's code, I haven't seen anything which would prevent them from working. So I would suggest adding an item swapping mechanics similar to the torches for the vanilla furnace, which then doesn't work without oxygen.

As a bonus, it could work differently in a methane atmosphere, where regular fuel doesn't work, instead other stuff does. Not sure what, though. Oxygen canisters come to mind, not sure what other blocks/items could be assumed to contain enough oxygen to react with methane...

Reactions: Vigilantecow

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
We could have another version of the furnace, where you can put an Oxygen canister in a slot to feed the fire perhaps?

Last edited:

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
I don't see the point in that, after all, we have an energy-based furnace. It's just something that could be added for realism's sake.

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
I don't see the point in that, after all, we have an energy-based furnace. It's just something that could be added for realism's sake.
That's true, but it might come in handy when you're on the moon for your first few times.

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
I have an idea for this, say a player uses a vanilla furnace on Mars. Now we all know there isn't enough oxygen to burn fire on Mars so the item swapping thing will apply for vanilla furnaces but say we make a furnace out of Mars cobble? Then what the galacticraft team can do is add furnace varients for certain planets stone types that, while they work in that planets atmosphere, they would take different fuel sources to 'burn' depending on the planets gas compositions but won't work on other planets without a similar atmospheric make up(Item swap them).

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Makes sense.

The only potential issue of it: The furnace would require the same method used for vanilla torches. Galacticraft would check if a vanilla furnace (block or item) in the world and then replace it with a variant of its own which the mod can handle. It's a pain in the neck, we got many bug reports about torches.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
I like the gas idea more, though other mods would make an oxygen requirement seem laughable. Perhaps a different angle instead, such as what atmosphere they're in effects speed/efficiency, and giving it a different gas (such as nitrogen) allows higher temperatures and negates the loss. The moon is a vacuum so smelting could take a very long time (or for a hardcore-realism mode not work at all.) Where adding oxygen would either fix this or boost the furnace past vanilla. Different gases produce different effects based on thermal transfer. Methane and other "fuel gas" types should greatly accelerate time and efficiency, but possibly with an overheat problem where the insides melt. Replacing the furnace fixes this, or for hardcore you'd have to anvil repair it (if possible.)