Beam Separator ( Spreaders )

Omar

Jun 17, 2015
I find it really annoying that you can't output to more than one destination using beams
So, Why not make Beam Separators ( or Spreaders ) to allow you to output the beam to the separator
and it separates the rays to go to every reachable destination
That would make it alot better
Hope you do that in the next update

Reactions: cricket354

ean521

Jun 17, 2015
I as well would be happy to see this implemented, perhaps with the "Beam Spreaders" only allowing one input, making them the opposite of the Beam Reflectors. Beam Reflectors could be renamed to "Beam Concentrators," for they take multiple inputs and have one output.

Omar

Jun 17, 2015
@ean521 that's actually a great idea
But if a percent of the energy that passes through the " Beam Separator " and " Beam Concentrator " is lost during transmission, It would make it better
And just make the " Beam Reflector " have 1 input and 1 output but it delivers all the energy without any loss

That would be a Lot of fun to try to deliver the energy to all destinations with the least amount of energy lost, right :D

ean521

Jun 17, 2015
@ean521 that's actually a great idea
But if a percent of the energy that passes through the " Beam Separator " and " Beam Concentrator " is lost during transmission, It would make it better
And just make the " Beam Reflector " have 1 input and 1 output but it delivers all the energy without any loss

That would be a Lot of fun to try to deliver the energy to all destinations with the least amount of energy lost, right :D

Perhaps the "Beam Separator" would divide the energy equally among its output destinations while the "Beam Concentrator" outputs the sum of its inputs. That way it would make logical sense, and no energy is lost without reason.

Omar

Jun 17, 2015
Perhaps the "Beam Separator" would divide the energy equally among its output destinations while the "Beam Concentrator" outputs the sum of its inputs. That way it would make logical sense, and no energy is lost without reason.
If you want it to be realistic there must be an energy loss
That's what happens with electricity IRL

ihazbravo

Jun 15, 2015
I like this idea. I don't have any suggestions for it though. I think that the energy should remain the same, just spread equally.

Omar

Jun 17, 2015
I like this idea. I don't have any suggestions for it though. I think that the energy should remain the same, just spread equally.
It won't be a huge loss though
Besides that would give them the ability to add tiers for them like 1st : basic beam 2nd : advanced beam 3rd : elite beam 4th : ultimate ( like mekanism's cables )
where each tier would be able to transfer more energy and losses less energy

ihazbravo

Jun 15, 2015
It won't be a huge loss though
Besides that would give them the ability to add tiers for them like 1st : basic beam 2nd : advanced beam 3rd : elite beam 4th : ultimate ( like mekanism's cables )
where each tier would be able to transfer more energy and losses less energy

Hmmm ...

cricket354

Apr 3, 2015
If you want it to be realistic there must be an energy loss
That's what happens with electricity IRL

Yes, but these are lasers, which as long as they are not passing through an atmosphere, would have no energy loss. So, only if you could take breath would they have energy loss.

Chronos7

May 13, 2015
Yes, but these are lasers, which as long as they are not passing through an atmosphere, would have no energy loss. So, only if you could take breath would they have energy loss.
It would be like the light rail in futurama.

ean521

Jun 17, 2015

@Omar

I would say that aluminum wire in Galacticraft doesn't lose any energy (I think, right?), though if it were realistic, there would be some energy loss. I feel that it would make sense for the beams to be the same even in an atmosphere, especially with them being much more expensive than aluminum wire. It would also make it easier to reckon how much energy is getting to certain machines with a system of beam spreaders and concentrators.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
Energy loss should be configurable, atmospheric, and no tier system imho. Either way this would enable a "power lines" kind of distribution. I don't like that I can't do that.

tywilburn16

Sep 15, 2015

this may just be me, but shouldnt the split-beams actually carry how much the machine needs? Like it you have, 2 T1 machines and a T2 machine, more power should go to the T2 because they need more powers (if thats how they work anyway) and the leftover energy is divided between the 2 T1 machines.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
Beams should behave like wires. They'd deliver all the energy a machine wants as long as it can provide it. I'd like beams to serve as wireless power delivery that is better than wired in some way. This idea would add what I believe is the best thing about using wired.

My vote is for a single input only and a one or two output for a splitter. I'd connect all of my generators to a beam, reflect it around, then split it when a machine needs powered.

Also suggest a range upgrade on beams. Maybe 2x what they already are. More encouragement to the player, offsetting cost.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I agree this is needed, thank you for the suggestion.

If somebody who knows Blender (or similar) feels like creating a model for this, that will help this get into the game way quicker. You should use the existing Beam Reflector as a starting point when making the model. I don't mind if this ends up looking fairly similar to a Beam Reflector - it's better if it has at least a family resemblence. My suggestion is the top should be differently shaped so that players can know which is which.