Better Gravity System

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
Before even thinking about posting this thread, I did a few days of combing the forums to see if this was already mentioned, I know artificial gravity has already been suggested over, and over again but I was thinking... why don't we fix natural gravity first?

First things first, mobs. Yes mobs, the ones that 'live'(aka spawn) on a certain planet or moon and jump as high as you and move as fast as you... when your the alien that just landed whos use to another planets gravity. Not sure about everyone else but that's always irked me a bit, "How are these native lifeforms able to move as if they were raised on the homeworld while in this enviroment?" would fly through my head countless times so I thought up a solution and possible alternatives.

First is gravity itself, we all know gravity is based on dimension and is a hard coded value but what if it was a NBT number for each entity that when compared to a dimensions base value will apply gravitys effect based on the percentage outcome? We all know modders can add values for mod features to the player data and certain mods can add them to other entities so it's not too far of a stretch... shoot, to my knowledge galacticraft already does so for retrieving and storing the oxygen data when a player has full oxygen gear on so it's not that far of a stretch.

Mobs that spawn on a planet will spawn with their gravity value already set for that planets natural levels, that way they move and jump just as the mobs of the overworld do on the overworld... no more mobs defying their homeworlds gravitational field. This can have good effects for the mods future as well by opening other possibilities like a possible implementation of artificial gravity.

Now as stated before, I know artifical gravity has been suggested numerous times but I couldn't find anything like the temporary and realistic solution we can use until a more permanent solution can be added later... the problem is it relies on the gravity per entity idea. As we know planets have gravity, it can be higher or lower then 'earth'(aka the overworld in this case) so what's stoping us from wearing a weighted belt or some other object for those planets/moons with lower gravity? It can be made with stone materials for planets like Mars that have similar gravity to the overworld and metal for ones that have a really low gravity like the moon and it would set that players gravity value to be the same as the overworlds while in those low gravity enviroments.

The entity specific gravity system will allow easier implemented future artificial gravity by haveing a tile entity that enforces a certain gravity value on all nearby entities, thus having them apply to whatever gravity it's set to. Maybe even take it a step farther and allow for less gravity as well as higher gravity, so a player can build a zero G chamber on the overworld and they will use the value that tile entity is set to when they go near it... just don't exit the fields range while high in the air with that setup :p

A value for 'direction' might also be possible but im not sure, if it is then we can have a "true" gravity setup later on but since im not sure I can't really go into details just yet...

This gravity system would also be a good idea for animals imported to another planet. Remember how I mentioned mobs that spawned on that planet are more 'use' to that gravity and thus move like players do on the overworld?
The first generation(the imported ones) will move like you since they originally spawned on the overworld and are more use to that gravity but say, you breed them on that planet? The babies just technically spawned on that planet and will most likely age up there so their base gravity value will naturally be set for that planet and they would move just like a native creature! Basically adaption if you want to look at it that way, the babies were born and grew up there so they are naturally use to that gravity. No more animals jumping a fence sounds amazing to me xD

Players wouldn't get off free either for balancing purposes, in low gravity enviroments a player would easily jump the native ground bound mobs so what if a player spends too much time on that planet and their gravity value slowly 'adapts' over time? With out exercise to keep your player fit for the overworlds gravity field you would slowly notice your jumps getting lower and speed decreasing overtime... until you walk on that planet as normally as you would the overworld.

The consequences of not exercising would not only be adaption to that lower gravity but slower movement speed in enviroments with higher gravity, for example: A player builds a Mars base and spends a long time there with no exercise and they now are adapted to that gravity but then they go back to the overworld, when they land they would get a slowness debuff for quite a while until they work that gravity value back up to overworld levels. This type of system would add another realistic aspect of space travel as well as helping out us players that started living in space indefinatly and acctually want to have 'normal' gravity on their new homeworld, the slow and slightly noticable adaption(slowly losing jump height and speed) to such an ends would be the extra icing on the cake in this instance.

Another example is when entering a higher gravity enviroment the slowness debuff applies itself, the higher the gravity the worse the debuff level but at a trade off it would be possible for players to train their bodies and keep that physical training with exercise on a regular basis. Anyone here whos seen dragonball z will know about the gravity room, it's basically the same principle to be blunt. The higher you train yourself the better suited you will be to high gravity enviroments, this can even have the added bonus of a higher jump and more attack damage overtime the more fit you are or the higher gravity enviroment your used too.

The cons of not training for a manned mission to a really high gravity planet would be catastrophic in real life and just as bad in this gravity system, if gravity is way to high when compared to the players current physical adaption value then death will be the result as per the standard. One example is spending loads of time on a really low gravity moon or space station with no exercise and then going back to the overworld without doing some prep exercise before hand... we all know how that would end, either the player would be so slow they wouldn't be able to move or they would be crushed by the overworlds gravity.

It's a two way street essentially, if your going to explore space you need to keep you physical shape up to par with what your use to on the overworld or your muscles will weaken/strengthen to match your enviroment over time.

Pretty sure this is too long so ill leave it there for now, not sure if I explained it as well as I could have so if you got any questions feel free to ask me

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
You are not the first one to suggest muscle weakening due to low gravity, but I admit I don't see the point of that. To me it sounds just like a reason against doing stuff on moon or mars. I would argue that mining and fighting zombies all the time is exercise enough.

Weighted belt or a gravitational field generators sound like good ideas, though. Mods adjusting to gravity might be a nice touch, too.

An upgrade to the weighted belt could be an gravity manipulation belt, which could also provide the opposite effect, aka normal movement and jump height in strong gravity. Hm, thinking about that, you could consider your suggested effects of gravity on your body to be something you would need those belts to protect yourself against, just like you would need thermal insulation.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
There used to be a mod that added grav-plating, which I used in most of my stations. I don't know if the mod has been updated or is now basically abandon-ware, which a lot of mods seem to become pretty quickly.

InsanityPie

Jun 18, 2014
Im nowhere but also everywhere
You are not the first one to suggest muscle weakening due to low gravity, but I admit I don't see the point of that. To me it sounds just like a reason against doing stuff on moon or mars. I would argue that mining and fighting zombies all the time is exercise enough.

Weighted belt or a gravitational field generators sound like good ideas, though. Mods adjusting to gravity might be a nice touch, too.

An upgrade to the weighted belt could be an gravity manipulation belt, which could also provide the opposite effect, aka normal movement and jump height in strong gravity. Hm, thinking about that, you could consider your suggested effects of gravity on your body to be something you would need those belts to protect yourself against, just like you would need thermal insulation.
That's pretty much what I was going for in a nutshell, I know weakening body has been suggested before but it's not only weakening you need to worry about since there ARE planets with a higher gravity then earth out there... you would need to worry about the gravitational forces of such worlds, your idea of a anti-grav upgrade for the weighted belt would acctually be a great addition for obvious reasons. The only thing thing that I think would need to be tweaked is the addition of it needing power, maybe it can have higher tiers like rocket and each tier has a higher protection value and more energy storage?

An example is a low tier one protecting you from Mars gravity effects and letting you walk normally there when on but only slightly protecting you from the moon, you would need a higher tier for full moon protection since the gravity is too light of a range for a low tier anti-grav belt to ward off. It would need to be obtainable after the finishing the asteroid belt since it seems fitting to do so

Anyways, I wasn't really trying to suggest gravity features as much as I was trying to explain how such a value system would work if coded in but I kinda got ahead of myself at the end of writing the OP ^^'

There used to be a mod that added grav-plating, which I used in most of my stations. I don't know if the mod has been updated or is now basically abandon-ware, which a lot of mods seem to become pretty quickly.
The only gravity mod I can really remember was gravitycraft and that got abandoned a LONG time ago... was an epic mod too ;-;
Haven't heard of the one you described but I bet it's dead, ive been looking for gravity mods since the day gravitycraft died but haven't seen none besides starminer and that's not 'true' gravity sadly