Bigger Earth

Benoni

Oct 20, 2013
If you create a space station and you look beneath you, you see a small earth.. the thing is.. space stations are really low in orbit so the earth beneath you must be muchhhh bigger.. Just a suggestion.. -Benoni

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@Benoni, in real life the size of the Earth depends on how high your space station orbit is! From a high orbit (like a geostationary orbit - those are high), the Earth looks small.

In Galacticraft 3 we have gone for a "medium" size of the Overworld because that's what I think looks best taking into account its square shape. We also made it so if you move up or down in the Space Station dimension, the size of the Overworld will change - so build your space station down at y=40 and it will look larger...

@S_Hacker The square shape of the Overworld is here to stay. If you don't find squares and cubes funny, maybe you shouldn't be playing Minecraft?

It has been suggested on another thread that we add in some more effects though, to simulate that blue "edge of the atmosphere" effect and clouds.

Last edited:

Benoni

Oct 20, 2013
@Benoni, in real life the size of the Earth depends on how high your space station orbit is! From a high orbit (like a geostationary orbit - those are high), the Earth looks small.

In Galacticraft 3 we have gone for a "medium" size of the Overworld because that's what I think looks best taking into account its square shape. We also made it so if you move up or down in the Space Station dimension, the size of the Overworld will change - so build your space station down at y=40 and it will look larger...

The square shape of the Overworld is here to stay. If you don't find squares and cubes funny, maybe you shouldn't be playing Minecraft?

It has been suggested on another thread that we add in some more effects though, to simulate that blue "edge of the atmosphere" effect and clouds.
I was talking about a low orbit but since gc has a geostationary orbit i'll go with that. And i was not the one talking about the round earth nonsense. I too say that the earth should be square.

Benoni

Oct 20, 2013
I was talking about a low orbit but since gc has a geostationary orbit i'll go with that. And i was not the one talking about the round earth nonsense. I too say that the earth should be square.
On top of this it would be great if you could create a low orbit space station too?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I think in future there might be space station options around other planets too, so I'll keep in mind the idea of a "low orbit" station if that time comes.
And i was not the one talking about the round earth nonsense. I too say that the earth should be square.
Yes, sorry my comment was addressed to @S_Hacker - fixed now. :)

Reactions: Benoni

S_Hacker

Jan 19, 2014
Antarctica

@S_Hacker The square shape of the Overworld is here to stay. If you don't find squares and cubes funny, maybe you shouldn't be playing Minecraft?

Good point, the overworld should remain a cube.

But however, I think the overworld should have a bit more detail when viewed through a space station something like this, only looking more like the earth.

2850.jpg

Last edited:

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I think it looks fine just like in the picture, I mean the Overworld is nothing like Earth. But, it would like quite strange just being a blue cube with random splotches of green land.

Reactions: Benoni

S_Hacker

Jan 19, 2014
Antarctica
I think it looks fine just like in the picture, I mean the Overworld is nothing like Earth. But, it would like quite strange just being a blue cube with random splotches of green land.

Yeah but I said if it would look a little more like the earth as in the large continents instead of islands everywhere.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Yeah but I said if it would look a little more like the earth as in the large continents instead of islands everywhere.
My point was that Minecraft doesn't really have continents, which is why that fits, I just found it to be a slightly strange point of view of the Overworld for seeing it the first time.

True overworld kinda looks like the continent shattered or is still forming.

Steve goes into space lived on mars for 30 years and returns, but there are no islands just a few massive continents. Now steve must travel the world in search of his lost home.