Bigger trees in low gravity

Aug 26, 2013
My simple assumption is: that there is about 82% lower gravity on the Minecraft Moon (1/6% in real life), I dont know how it effects in the game, but you jump 300% high, and the trees should grow 300% higher in theory too. In minecraft, one tree's average height is 7 block, so A simple tree grew on Moon should be 21blocks high. Before this suggestion, there weren't any Moon projects what planted trees on Moon, so I can not be sure in this value. The sure is that trees really grow higher in lower gravity. The same on Mars and other planets. ( lower trees in higher gravity like Jupiter) I hope you would like it.

Last edited:

Dinammar

Aug 31, 2013
London, United Kingdom
My simple assumption is: that there is about 82% lower gravity on the Minecraft Moon (1/6% in real life), I dont know how it effects in the game, but you jump 300% high, and the trees should grow 300% higher in theory too. In minecraft, one tree's average height is 7 block, so A simple tree grew on Moon should be 21blocks high. Before this suggestion, there weren't any Moon projects what planted trees on Moon, so I can not be sure in this value. The sure is that trees really grow higher in lower gravity. The same on Mars and other planets. ( lower trees in higher gravity like Jupiter) I hope you would like it.
How can trees grow without oxygen anyways?!
More important: How can a tree grow on gas?! You can't grow a tree on something you can't even land on aka it doesn't have a surface (Gas Giants)

Donzaffi

Sep 28, 2013
In a Kingdom far far away
I don't want to say that this is a bad idea, but as far as I know oom the moon only one kind of tree can grow, ( My jungle trees never growed there) so I say if there is only a value to change, why not but else if this is too much coding is hard work for little effort

Smiles

Nov 3, 2013
I on the other hand, think that this is a pretty good idea, but it's weird to think of this due to the fact that they cant actually grow on other planets, but still, I kind of like the idea, maybe not the entire full 300% but at least a increase from the overworlds average tree length, and one thing I've wondered about, why cant you seal of a room, and plant trees in it and have a self sustaining supply of air?

Donzaffi

Sep 28, 2013
In a Kingdom far far away
I on the other hand, think that this is a pretty good idea, but it's weird to think of this due to the fact that they cant actually grow on other planets, but still, I kind of like the idea, maybe not the entire full 300% but at least a increase from the overworlds average tree length, and one thing I've wondered about, why cant you seal of a room, and plant trees in it and have a self sustaining supply of air?

because its to easy ^^

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth

The suggestion assumes you'd be growing it in a closed space like a base or space station, so arguments that "Trees can't grow on the moon" is moot. Yes they can. Obviously not the vacuum though.

The assumption being that plants under lesser gravity will grow taller, but also skinnier. Plants subjected to higher gravity grow shorter and stubbier. I believe they studied this on several shuttle missions, or maybe it was on MIR.

I think it's doable. It would reek havoc on people trying to use trees to collect oxygen though. They'd have to build bigger rooms, but I don't think it's too bad of an issue.

EDIT:

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2009/08/the-effects-of-gravity-on-plant-growth-and-development/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_biology
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/121207-plants-grow-space-station-science/

Aug 26, 2013
How can trees grow without oxygen anyways?!
More important: How can a tree grow on gas?! You can't grow a tree on something you can't even land on aka it doesn't have a surface (Gas Giants)
At both cases I build a glass sphere with soil at its bottom. That looks like nice.