Can mining Fluid Tank with Silk Touch?

_CreeperDust_

Feb 7, 2016
use canisters
i think he means that the tanks could keep the amount of fluid in them when broken with silk touch, which would be a very nice feature. I would also like that to happen with oxygen storage modules and energy modules :p

Tesik

Jul 25, 2015
Yes, I got what he'd meant, but such a feature might break the, in my opinion, well balanced resource requirements.

7eggert

Apr 20, 2018
As the contents of the machines will have to be earned anyway, and given the option to just use enderio virtually unlimited energy from an expensive capacitor, I'd favor having the option to drop equipped/filled machines/tanks. Currently I'm using a 500 000 mB Thermal Foundation tank to drain 16 000 mB GC tanks …

If you feel that having to keep them in place (I'm currently at the asteroid space stations, the cargo loader might be what you're thinking of), this could be a config option and/or a per-machine option (the cargo loader would unset the flag on being drained). Machines being especially inbalanced might e.g. require you to drain their energy using batteries. So a refinery would be portable, the big energy clusters(?) would not.

I don't think this is a priority though - after having the other mods and having spent weeks on having unlimited energy. If it's easy to code and you need to relax while coding not-your current-problem, we might get lucky. :)

PS, tanks and machines with content/configuration should be reset-able to their defaults by placing them in the crafting grid.

PS2, I just read that it's already implemented to not drop items from the cargo loader.

Last edited:

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
I'm on the side of calling this a bug. Cause if it has more than 2 buckets of fluid in it and you break the tank it leave a fluid source block behind and imho it should continue to hold it's inventory since I can't think of any tank that doesn't anymore.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I don't think this is a priority though - after having the other mods and having spent weeks on having unlimited energy. If it's easy to code and you need to relax while coding not-your current-problem, we might get lucky. :)

It's intended behaviour. There is no Galacticraft item in the game like "Fluid tank containing x000 mB of y fluid". Of course it could be done with NBT data, like how rockets hold their fuel if you drop them. But I am not sure that we want to do that.

Some reasons for not doing it:
  • vanilla chests and other vanilla blocks drop their contents on being broken
  • generally I find it too OP if a block containing other blocks or items can be carried in inventory (example: Thermal Expansion chests) - it defeats the object of Backpacks and Luggage and Slimeling Inventory Bags and other mods which expand the player carrying capacity by a small amount. (Yes I know that items enough to fill an entire building of chests can be transported in a handful of chips if you have Applied Energistics 2 - again that is ridiculously OP, although very convenient when you have a lot of items.)
  • fluids are supposed to be difficult to transport in vanilla, with buckets not stacking
  • generally we aim to be closer to the philosophy of vanilla Minecraft, not the mods like Thermal Expansion or EnderIO or Applied Energistics 2 which make things too easy
  • at some point to "relax" from coding other stuff, I plan to increase the capacity of canisters to hold either 2000mB or 4000mB - for their cost, canisters need to be better than buckets, of course their main feature is that they can hold partial loads and they can carry cryogenic liquids
  • we might also implement planned features where "loose" buckets of fluids cannot be carried in rockets without risking accidents :)
  • these things are more interesting, for me, than making tanks retain their contents - both micdoodle8 and me like accidents and will be very happy for Galacticraft to have more ways for stuff to go wrong and blow itself up...
  • at the end of the day most people are playing with multiple mods, and so players can just use tanks from another mod if they want this functionality
  • really I would actually like to disable the inventory versions of the other mods tanks from being able to carry the Galacticraft fluids which don't have corresponding buckets, e.g. cryogenic liquids, because I think these liquids ought to require special handling ... but I probably can't do that without Forge changes and a lot of co-operation between mods.

7eggert

Apr 20, 2018
If you're looking for that: Thermal Foundation/Expansion does have a magmatic florb, intended for hot fluids, so there should be a way to have an associated temperature. Also it's energized glowstone is a fluid flowing upwards.

I don't mind having to drain a tank before breaking it, but if there is valuable fluid in a machine, I'd like to be able extract it.