Development Can someone make a tutorial for an Earthlike planet with many biomes?

Should I try to do this?

• You'll need more Java knowledge first

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • If you follow tutorials, you should be fine.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Dec 7, 2015
Something similar to the planet Fronos from the More Planets addon, but with only vanilla blocks?
My goal is to make a planet orbiting a red dwarf star where it's perpetually sunset and there is life and a breathable atmosphere, but with higher gravity than the overworld.
Can someone tell me what I'd need to do after I gain more knowledge of Java?
I already know a small bit about it and have worked with similar programming languages, but I was always lost without guidance. Also, I want to make a rocket that is needed to reach this planet, and I want it to have a custom model like the Galaxy Space rockets.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Please read what I wrote here:
http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/dev-help.4478/#post-34059
https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/2019#issuecomment-171766762

Don't wanna put you off, but you're asking for help to do one of the hardest things.
* creating good quality worldgen - meaning a world which is interesting to play in - is difficult and takes time and patience, because a lot of coding goes into creating the multiple features in a world
* it requires both coding skills and artwork skills (textures etc)
* you would need to be an expert coder in Java / C / C++ or a similar language and have college-level mathematics skills to make a worldgen from nothing
* AFAIK there is no tutorial for this online - at least, there is no tutorial which tells you in detail how to do the hard parts

If you have Minecraft + Forge sources in a development environment, you can study for yourself the worldgen code in vanilla Minecraft for the different biomes, and if you understand how that works then you can make your own. You could also look at the worldgen code in Galacticraft for Moon and Mars, which is simpler than vanilla because there is (currently) only one biome type.

You can also maybe look at how some of the add-on authors coded their worlds.

If you are serious about this request, I highly, highly recommend that instead of starting your own project, you pick one of the existing add-ons and help out on that.

Reactions: AGiLE-EaGLE1994
Dec 7, 2015
Please read what I wrote here:
http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/dev-help.4478/#post-34059
https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/2019#issuecomment-171766762

Don't wanna put you off, but you're asking for help to do one of the hardest things.
* creating good quality worldgen - meaning a world which is interesting to play in - is difficult and takes time and patience, because a lot of coding goes into creating the multiple features in a world
* it requires both coding skills and artwork skills (textures etc)
* you would need to be an expert coder in Java / C / C++ or a similar language and have college-level mathematics skills to make a worldgen from nothing
* AFAIK there is no tutorial for this online - at least, there is no tutorial which tells you in detail how to do the hard parts

If you have Minecraft + Forge sources in a development environment, you can study for yourself the worldgen code in vanilla Minecraft for the different biomes, and if you understand how that works then you can make your own. You could also look at the worldgen code in Galacticraft for Moon and Mars, which is simpler than vanilla because there is (currently) only one biome type.

You can also maybe look at how some of the add-on authors coded their worlds.

If you are serious about this request, I highly, highly recommend that instead of starting your own project, you pick one of the existing add-ons and help out on that.
It's more of a dream than anything. I know it would take skills that I probably don't have, but it's something I dream of doing.
I guess I could just ask SteveKung to make a planet and rocket for me.
I can't code very well, but I'm pretty good at making textures.
And that's the problem-- I can't code.
I think that if I do this, I'm going to wait until summer when I don't have to worry about college.
But thank you for being honest, Redfast. I probably wouldn't be capable of it without some serious learning or some serious help.
If I'd known that it was that complicated to do, I would have just not said anything. X'D

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Why don't you showcase some of the textures you have made? Post them up here, or on Imgur or somewhere.

If you have great ideas for a planet, you could also work jointly with a coder to see if it can be implemented. For a coder, it can be very satisfying to implement ideas which have already been thought out in detail and with care, so that you end up with a good result.

If coding worldgen was easy, micdoodle8 or I or other contributors to GC would already have coded all the planets in the Solar System, and some exo planets as well ... it's not that we don't want to!