Canadarm...rocket pack alternative

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
I know several people have suggested making a rocket pack of sorts for EVA's on space stations, which I would thoroughly appreciate, but I have thought of another idea.

While I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, I think it would be pretty badass to have a Canadarm on a space station.

The arm itself could be something around 8 to ten blocks long when fully extended and have a joint in the middle. It would require at least one anchor/attachment block to attach to the station, but multiple attachment points could be implemented throughout the station to allow the arm to traverse to any point within reach of an anchor block using an end-over-end type of movement.

I also considered the use of a rail system for faster/simpler movement over longer distances, but this would obviously limit vertical movement.

Please offer your suggestions and criticism!

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
I really like the idea. The real Canadarm moves around the ISS using an "inch-worm" technique.

Exactly! I was actually going to refer to it as "inch worm" because I thought that it moved like that. I just over thought it and wasn't sure if people would know what I meant, but I digress. I wish I knew how to make a mod myself because I would spend every minute of down time working on it.