Can't find help from the Wiki? Please let us know!

kru

May 6, 2014
Hey folks - just came across the wiki before the forum, so I've already tinkered a little bit with fixing typos, etc. just out of past habit when learning something new and giving something back in the process. Hope I'm not stepping on toes.

Firstly, the Getting Started Guide has been rather helpful so far. Given the guide has a 'coming soon' step, I threw out the question in its discussion page. As there's a fair amount of discussion here instead, I figured I'd cross-post -

URL: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Tutorials/Galacticraft_Getting_Started_Guide

What are some of the goals for this page's content? For example -

1. "Step Six" is listed as "coming soon" - is there a hint of what needs to be added for this? One suggestion could be solar? (silicon, lapis lazuli, basic wafer, solar module, solar panel, full panel, basic and then advanced solar panels).

2. The overall Space Program isn't presented. The Getting Started guide seems to aim for a space station on the moon on the first flight! Perhaps the first goal of the program could just be a successful launch and return to Earth?

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
The Getting Started guide seems to aim for a space station on the moon on the first flight! Perhaps the first goal of the program could just be a successful launch and return to Earth?
While this is a cool idea, I feel like the majority of people will probably set up a base on the Moon, or a Space Station before returning to Earth. While you may choose to conduct a test flight beforehand, remember that this isnt KSP, and you don't need to build knowledge on previous flights to get further in the next. Due to the fact that most people won't be conducting any test flights, it wouldn't really be fit to involve them in the steps on the Wiki. In the case that you would like to do that, please remember that the Wiki cant tell you how to do everything.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Hey folks - just came across the wiki before the forum, so I've already tinkered a little bit with fixing typos, etc. just out of past habit when learning something new and giving something back in the process. Hope I'm not stepping on toes...

You most certainly are stepping on no toes here. I started this thread just as a place to A)point people in the right direction if they are lost and B) receive input regarding any information that may be misleading or missing altogether. Anybody with the desire and knowledge to accurately contribute is most welcome to do so and it is, in fact, much appreciated. So long as the information is accurate, useful, and is presented in a way that generally conforms to the wiki format then by all means...

Oh and welcome!

kru

May 6, 2014
To paraphrase a US president: "We choose to go to the moon because it's hard fun!" :) I'll skip the test flights. ;)

With regards to "Step Six" -- I dropped in a quick summary of building a rocket, since that seemed like a natural progression. It seems an older tutorial exists below these steps, perhaps kept so we don't lose the earlier contribution; would it be worth trimming this secondary section (below step seven) of information that has been built into the steps above it? I'm hesitant to change it myself though...

kru

May 6, 2014
Fair point. How prevalent is GC v1? Is upgrading an issue? Usually you'd duplicate the wiki and leave v1 deprecated - still available for folks who haven't yet upgraded - and then tweak the v2 pages as the code is improved/recipes amended etc. It seems like care is being taken to ensure versions aren't left behind though - Is v1 still being developed in parallel or something?

If anything I've added on v2 isn't applicable to v1, I wouldn't know. :(

v3 is coming too I see. :) :)

EnderSpace

Oct 29, 2013
The Edges of Space
You change profile picture
Looking good
I post here because i try yo post profile but didnt work

Wait i didnt make this topic
I post this in didnt find help on wiki
Bevause SpaceUnicron change his profile picture

Last edited by a moderator:

EnderSpace

Oct 29, 2013
The Edges of Space
It was me. I had thought you were asking help because something didn't work or you couldn't post someone's profile, as it looked off-topic. Well, you could try again to post on his profile and see what error message pops up.
Oh it was you , i thought my account got hacked and i really scared
There is no error on his account thats the problem
٢٠١٤-٠٥-١٠-١٩-٣٥-٠٣.png

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
You change profile picture
Looking good
I post here because i try yo post profile but didnt work

Thank you very much! I wanted to have one single identity between this forum, twitch, YouTube, etc. (shameless plugs *cough* check my signature *cough*)

I had restricted who could post on my profile page due to a certain someone posting hateful content even after asking him not to. Since he was recently banned I opened it back up just now.

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
It's a great Wiki, one of the best ones out there and I really think it adds to the enjoyment of Galacticraft. Huge thanks to everyone that makes the effort to contribute to it and keep it up to date.

Personally, as a player, I really like the 'Template' feature of a mod wiki listing all the blocks and items. It is one of the best ways to know whether I have tried out all the features of a mod. So I would say, it's really no problem if the template becomes huge - as long as it is well organized...

Some other suggestions:

1. GC3 will add quite a lot of new blocks and items, as well as a few small changes to how existing things work. For a long time after GC3 is released we will also have players playing GC2 because GC2 is in several major modpacks. There will be scope for confusion! Some mods solve this by having separate wiki pages and indexes for each different version of the mod (Advanced Genetics) but I think for Galacticraft that would be hard to manage and if someone edits one version the changes wouldn't be reflected in the other. So I think maybe the best is to create a GC3 icon for the wiki and have a clear GC3 section on every page which needs it. Obviously some of the new pages will be GC3 only.

2. It will be good to have more information about how to use commands, including the GCInv command which is only documented in the comment I made here: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/commit/f0872ef9e832672d5b5e0343622d4ccff5e94dfd
If nobody else wants to add this information, I can do it at some point.

3. The 'Getting Started' guide http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Tutorials/Galacticraft_Getting_Started_Guide and every other tutorial needs to mention that players will 100% need certain items when they reach the Moon or Mars - including a Fuel Loader and something to power it, so that they can return to the Overworld again. (Also fuel, if there is not enough fuel left in the rocket after landing.)

Last edited:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I personally did not, but was linked to the sections that had the info by @radfast...DANG this guy is helpful!!
<3

Speaking of data and stuff, as things become more sophisticated, looks like we will need to create tables and templates to organize these or other kinds of data.

Personally, as a player, I really like the 'Template' feature of a mod wiki listing all the blocks and items. It is one of the best ways to know whether I have tried out all the features of a mod. So I would say, it's really no problem if the template becomes huge - as long as it is well organized...
I was thinking of the following solution: each subtemplate would have links to the other subtemplates and indexes, so nothing can be missed.

For example Blocks:

[Galacticraft - Blocks] <-- Header
[Natural: *links*
Ores: *links*
Machinery: *links*
Miscellaneous: *links*] <-- Body containing only Block articles
[Nav bar: Dimensions | Entities | Blocks | Items | Tutorials | Misc ] <-- Footer

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
<3

Speaking of data and stuff, as things become more sophisticated, looks like we will need to create tables and templates to organize these or other kinds of data.

Yeah I was figuring it would be easier to read and would simply look much cleaner if everything was laid out in table-form, but I'm not too familiar with addressing the format of things so I at least wanted to get the info on there so someone else could make it look nice (or at least until I maybe figure it out myself).

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Hey @Ezer'Arch. I'll try to find the answer to that. If there isn't an answer, then I could maybe code a tool to extract the images from Galacticraft itself, but would take me a few hours. Given the number of wikis for modded Minecraft, I guess there must be a tool already some place...