Change the current `fuel` system

Do you think the system to finding `oil` (fuel) should be changed?

• No, i need the exercise.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peanuter

Mar 11, 2013
The way that the Current oil is aquired is for want of a better word, ludicrous. The oil itself only generates in new forming blocks, which by itself is a very good idea - if you dont have to spend 3 hrs hunting it or come across it competely at random (8hrs search - nothing). It would make sense that the fuel itself would be found through normal routes (similar to finding the titanium) rather than the whole hit `n` miss scenario it currently is. I`d be interested to see others take on the `oil` situation and possible viable solutions. Also if someone could report back how long it took them to find their oil it may be worth noting.

Update:- after 8hrs 45mins i finally found some. Then 10mins later i found more....
Perhaps its more a frequency of spawning more than anything. However, solid fuel blocks would still make far more sense from a spawn/find point of view. Perhaps a fossilised fuel could be added as a new block with around a spawn rate of 1/2 of the current titanium ore spawn rate. Rather than focusing on Oil...

Its also worth noting that modern rockets are powered by 2 different sources - solid and liquid. So, although the oil suits nicely a solid form is not that far fetched. We already have the aluminium and iron added (which is 2 components of the 3 items required for solid fuel and only needs to be in powder form). The 3rd is ammonium perchlorate which could be the new block.

Thoughts please people...

Kye_Duo

Mar 11, 2013
well...I'd love for it to be able to use the oil from BuildCraft, that spawns a lot more, and its visible from the surface
mod compatibility is a big thing...fueling rockets via BC pipes would be cool too...though it'd prob require a redo of the launch pad
I know its alpha...but having it in from the beginning would make things easier down the road.

Skeletor

Mar 11, 2013
I would prefer compatibility patches between Industrial craft and Buildcraft for their oil and titanium. And possibly whatever other resources they will have in common with this mod.

peanuter

Mar 11, 2013
Compatibility ultimately would be great, although for the moment while the mod is still in the Alpha stage its probably best to finish/fine tune certain portions before this is accomplished. I`d love to see the compatibility between the oil from galacticraft and buildcraft/indust craft. A very good compromise on the oil problem has been mentioned in the first post, make it so that its visable from the surface. In that way lot`s wouldnt have problems finding it and also when compatibility is made (if possible) then it makes everything merge together both mod wise and the `finding` issue.

Kye_Duo

Mar 11, 2013
I thought that is what forge was meant to do, make mod compatibility easy with its ore/liquid dictionary if that was used any other type of oil would work.

Dunewolfz

He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
Here's some points of view on this:
  1. Walking far promotes exploration and, if you're playing legit, could add to the realism of the mod.
  2. The "oil only generating in new chunks" is Minecraft's fault. The fuel is fine.
  3. The refined oil is not enough, considering that the Rocket propellant used by NASA is a mixture of Kerosene, Ethanol, and other explosive materials. This needs to be recognized.
  4. Perhaps a block could be added which drains the crude oil from bones dropped by Skeletons, which in turn would be refined. A tad more on the unrealistic side, but still.
  5. Oil could also spawn rarely in the form of surface pools. Making oil a bit easier to find.
On my world, which I've had since Beta 1.7, it took me about an hour and a half to find oil, just stayed at level 20 steadily mining away.
I, for one, don't really want to have GC have a dependency on too many industrialization-oriented mods, they just stray too far from "plant potatos and harvest" Minecraft. This mod is my one exception, since I love space like a brother :3.
The "solid fuel" you're referring to is a composite propellant, and 90% of those are made with very specific chemical compounds which would take forever to logically produce in Minecraft. In addition to the things you listed you'd need:
  • A catalyst
  • A fuel source, preferably Manganese or Aluminum.
  • You'd also need a lower-energy oxiderizer to react with the higher-energy fuel, such as:
    • HTPB
    • PBAN
    • (there's another one but I can't remember what it is...)
So yeah, you got part of it right, Aluminum and NH4CIO4.
My main studies in college are astronomy and aeronautics, so I know what I'm talking about. lol

peanuter

Mar 11, 2013
You mentioned that we would need a oxidiser - thats what ammonium perchlorate is. The fuel source already exists - which is aluminium (although in powder form which would have to be added). The iron (which is in game but again needs to be in powder form) is used as the catalyst.

Effectively using the 2 existing blocks in game (iron and aluminium) it would mean adding 1 new block - ammonium perchlorate.

once these 3 ingredients are combined all that is required is a spark for reaction (flint and steel).

I agree with you about the exploration part, but ultimately (and yes i play genuinely) considering the timeframe i think that even if no changes were made to the generation system more needs to be present.

mining at level 20 for 1.5 hrs (as mentioned) is hardly exploring.....

The best solution that i can see from all the formentioned is for the current system to be made visable on the surface. This would keep the `exploration` aspect of it and also keep the oil system as is. This would effectively address the main problem everyone is facing - location and time.

Alround - great suggestions so far from all =)

Kye_Duo

Mar 11, 2013
you don't have to make this dependent on another mod, just create a new crafting block and let it use aluminum/iron ingots if IC2 isn't installed and require the dust if it is. You can just say the block powderizes the ingots before it makes the fuel if IC2 isn't installed

as far as the binder, being MC we can use slime. :p

hmm...seems we can already use BC oil in the refinery, though trying to use the portable oil extractor on BC oil deposits crashes the game...just have to use buckets of oil...though maybe it crashed because I didn't have an empty container in my invi...

Dunewolfz

He-who-has-no-morals-or-sense-of-logic.
Feb 23, 2013
Kalos Region
www.itanimulli.com
You still need a catalyst and a true oxidizer. Ammonium Perchlorate can do thing, but it is much more ideal to use something along the lines of *googling* Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene... geez that takes forever to type.

flashman111

Feb 12, 2013
Use buildcraft with the mod. It spawns oil just like dunewolfz said it and it works with the galacticraft refinery

Kye_Duo

Mar 11, 2013
You still need a catalyst and a true oxidizer. Ammonium Perchlorate can do thing, but it is much more ideal to use something along the lines of *googling* Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene... geez that takes forever to type.
yes, but look up the SRB the shuttle used, it was ammonium perchlorate, iron oxide, powdered aluminum, a polymer based binding agent and an epoxy curing agent

Dalton Rhine

Mar 11, 2013
i just want to go into the cosmos without running around for 16hrs (how long it took to find the oil) and still not having enough for 2 trips

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
Ya ammonium perchlorate is what is used for the Solid Rocket Boosters (SRB) of any space shuttle, and it takes up over like 60%, if I remember right, whereas the actual fuel only takes up 16% or something like that. And if you're going into there, you need to add electrolysis, so you can make hydrogen and oxygen gas (although, you could just link the freezer I will mention to an oxygen collector). You could then pump the gas in through the tubes into a liquefier, to turn it into its liquid state. Which you could THEN pump into the fuel tank which you will place into a slot on the rocket GUI. Or you could manually bucket it into the fuel tank's own GUI when you place it down as a block. (Would have to make it so it saves how much fuel it has.)

Kye_Duo

Mar 11, 2013
lets not make it too crazy on the complexity. we don't need to turn this into real rocket science

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
I concur with that, was just saying if we actually want to get that realistic.