Different Tiers of Air-Locks

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by C.L., Jun 20, 2019.

1. C.L.

C.L. Member

We have just one boring type of airlock. I have ideas for upgraded airlocks, without taking away the current airlocks. You should be able to upgrade to more advanced types of airlocks.

• Tier 1- The current airlocks.
    • Tier 2- Smart airlocks: They can be set to auto-open when both sides are pressurized with breathable air, and auto-close when one side is no longer breathable. This would be useful for space bases that are sectioned with these airlocks in such a way that when someone makes a breach in one section, the airlocks around that section close, keeping the rest of the base habitable.
    • Tier 3- Forcefield airlocks: Airlocks that generate a forcefield that keeps the air in. Useful for hangar bays and areas where you want to look at and go outside without having to make a compression chamber. Can also automatically activate and deactivate the same way Tier 2 airlocks would, except it would have a forcefield instead of a solid barrier.

I really think that these should be added to the mod. Tell me what you think!

2. PhysicalNova

PhysicalNova Member

It's an awesome idea ! Thought it might suit better in an addon... I really like your idea !

3. QuadShot

QuadShot Member

You can kind of do them now. You can use the oxygen sensor and a redstone "And gate" to trigger the door. I remember making them a long time ago and eventually abandoned them cause I just got tired of having to wait to enter/open the door, so I just made a short tunnel with airlocks on each end. I think I posted the design here a while ago, but can't remember exactly now.

Although there is no force field, a bubble gen doesn't need an airtight structure to provide the same effect.

PhysicalNova likes this.
  4. PhysicalNova

PhysicalNova Member

Of course ! the oxygen detectors ! I forgot about them... Yeah, with some redstone, you can be sure that a room is pressurized before opening an outside airlock.
    The bubble generator works, but you'll still need to make rooms air tight if you have any sealers. (I don't remember since I don't use bubble generators, but I think they use quite a lot of oxygen, but you can hide the bubble... Thought it can be used to a good use.)

5. C.L.

C.L. Member

Thanks!
    That redstone would be more bulky and have to load more than if they were to add these new airlocks. The smart airlock would be a nice thing to add so that you won't have to use bulky redstone gates. These new airlocks should also respond more quickly and effectively than a redstone contraption would, while also being functional within a single airlock controller block.
    What if you want to make a HUUGE port to look out of and go through? Bubble distributors don't make very big bubbles, but like you said, I think that it would have to be airtight, so a bubble in a hole in a wall might not work. I haven't tested it yet. A force field airlock that also has smart airlock capabilities would still be a great thing to add.

6. C.L.

C.L. Member

If anyone makes this into an addon, I would be happy to play it!

7. QuadShot

QuadShot Member

Air Locks can be pretty big:
    [​IMG]

I use EIO to cover the redstone(redstone conduit and painted conduit facades).
    As far as HUUUGE well there is this:
    [​IMG]
    Just add the glass to the list of "non-opaque blocks" in core.conf

Agentx49 likes this.