Different Tiers of Air-Locks

C.L.

Jul 4, 2016
We have just one boring type of airlock. I have ideas for upgraded airlocks, without taking away the current airlocks. You should be able to upgrade to more advanced types of airlocks.

• Tier 1- The current airlocks.
  • Tier 2- Smart airlocks: They can be set to auto-open when both sides are pressurized with breathable air (or lacking it), and auto-close when one side is no longer breathable. It auto-opens if those conditions are met, without being approached by players or activated by redstone.
    • This would be useful for space bases that are sectioned with these airlocks in such a way that when someone makes a breach in one section, the airlocks around that section close, keeping the rest of the base habitable.
  • Tier 3- Forcefield airlocks: Airlocks that generate a forcefield that keeps the air in. Can also automatically activate and deactivate the same way Tier 2 airlocks would, except it would have a forcefield instead of a solid barrier. It should be configurable to set the solidity of the forcefield, so small projectiles cannot pass through, but larger entities can pass through. It would probably have a scale of 1-5 to toggle the solidity between.
    • Useful for hangar bays and areas where you want to look at and go outside without having to make a compression chamber.

I really think that these should be added to the mod. Tell me what you think!

Last edited:

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
You can kind of do them now. You can use the oxygen sensor and a redstone "And gate" to trigger the door. I remember making them a long time ago and eventually abandoned them cause I just got tired of having to wait to enter/open the door, so I just made a short tunnel with airlocks on each end. I think I posted the design here a while ago, but can't remember exactly now.

Although there is no force field, a bubble gen doesn't need an airtight structure to provide the same effect.

Reactions: PhysicalNova

PhysicalNova

Jun 21, 2018
France
Of course ! the oxygen detectors ! I forgot about them... Yeah, with some redstone, you can be sure that a room is pressurized before opening an outside airlock.
The bubble generator works, but you'll still need to make rooms air tight if you have any sealers. (I don't remember since I don't use bubble generators, but I think they use quite a lot of oxygen, but you can hide the bubble... Thought it can be used to a good use.)

C.L.

Jul 4, 2016
It's an awesome idea ! Thought it might suit better in an addon... I really like your idea !
Thanks!
You can kind of do them now. You can use the oxygen sensor and a redstone "And gate" to trigger the door. I remember making them a long time ago and eventually abandoned them cause I just got tired of having to wait to enter/open the door, so I just made a short tunnel with airlocks on each end. I think I posted the design here a while ago, but can't remember exactly now.

Although there is no force field, a bubble gen doesn't need an airtight structure to provide the same effect.
That redstone would be more bulky and have to load more than if they were to add these new airlocks. The smart airlock would be a nice thing to add so that you won't have to use bulky redstone gates. These new airlocks should also respond more quickly and effectively than a redstone contraption would, while also being functional within a single airlock controller block.
Of course ! the oxygen detectors ! I forgot about them... Yeah, with some redstone, you can be sure that a room is pressurized before opening an outside airlock.
The bubble generator works, but you'll still need to make rooms air tight if you have any sealers. (I don't remember since I don't use bubble generators, but I think they use quite a lot of oxygen, but you can hide the bubble... Thought it can be used to a good use.)
What if you want to make a HUUGE port to look out of and go through? Bubble distributors don't make very big bubbles, but like you said, I think that it would have to be airtight, so a bubble in a hole in a wall might not work. I haven't tested it yet. A force field airlock that also has smart airlock capabilities would still be a great thing to add.

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
Air Locks can be pretty big:
5GAg6NE.png

I use EIO to cover the redstone(redstone conduit and painted conduit facades).
As far as HUUUGE well there is this:
S9i5xWH.png

Just add the glass to the list of "non-opaque blocks" in core.conf

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
As to "2 - Smart Airlocks", they would work like the current Airlock Controller, but with the following enhancements:
  1. A block called "Airlock Controller with Gauge" will check if there are air blocks on its unobstructed faces;
  2. There would be two conditions to choose from: Only open if:
    • All sides are full of air (inner airlock)
    • All sides are airless (outer airlock)
  3. While the condition is met, the airlock will open as normally programmed (by approaching, redstone, button, lever etc).
Less redstone contraptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: C.L.

C.L.

Jul 4, 2016
As to "2 - Smart Airlocks", they would work like the current Airlock Controller, but with the following enhancements:
  1. A block called "Airlock Controller with Gauge" will check if there are air blocks on its unobstructed faces;
  2. There would be two conditions to choose from: Only open if:
    • All sides are full of air (inner airlock)
    • All sides are airless (outer airlock)
  3. While the condition is met, the airlock will open as normally programmed (by approaching, redstone, button, lever etc).
Less redstone contraptions.
Thanks for explaining it to them! Just two problems: Tier 2 Airlock should be called Tier 2 Airlock Controller, and it needs to work to detect air if I wanna place it in the floor/wall/ceiling.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

C.L.

Jul 4, 2016
While the condition is met, the airlock will open as normally programmed (by approaching, redstone, button, lever etc).
Edit: The Tier 2 Airlock will be automatically opened without redstone/approaching when the condition is met. You don't have to approach or activate the smart airlock to open it, it just has to read breathable air or lack of it on both sides, and it auto-opens/closes accordingly.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
just has to read breathable air or lack of it on both sides, and it auto-opens/closes accordingly.
Oh that's a twist! It makes it stand out compared to the regular air lock. :D

BTW, I built an airlock which uses redstone and detectors as air gauge to enable/disable the air lock opening. It took up 5x5x4 space besides the door itself. o.o

Reactions: C.L.

C.L.

Jul 4, 2016
Also, the Tier 3 Airlock would emit a force-field that you can walk through by default. It keeps the air in, but allows for a clear opening without the need of a compression chamber. It inherits the same abilities as Tier 2, but with a force-field instead. The smart airlock feature can be toggled on/off. It can be adjusted to block small projectiles and mobs, only letting larger entities through. The solidity of the force-field can be adjusted from 1 to 5. The airlock frame around it would look similar to the linear light panels when it is on. At setting 5; only rockets and larger entities can pass through the field, while at setting 2; arrows, enderpearls, and small mobs like endermites, silverfish, and sludgelings will be blocked. The force-field should glow a light blue color in the area where entities are touching.