Download Alternative

Whist34

Oct 24, 2014
I have been trying to download the files now for 6 hours. This is not the first time I have run into this problem. Seems to happen each time I try to update. Last time was about a month ago. I get the error that the connection was refused by the server - happens repeatedly until magically it goes away after a VERY VERY VERY long time.

There is a moderator's post which seems to indicate this is standard operating procedure.

I cannot honestly think of any reason to keep the files there unless the repeated attempts by users to download the files is simply generating a lot of ad revenue for the open source makers. Meanwhile users still don't have access to files.

This is very frustrating. You should not have to make attempts 3-4 hours apart simply to find when the servers are up and running.

There needs to be an alternative method to download the files, or the hosting site needs to be changed. There are many different alternatives to chose from: Adfly, Dropbox, Curse Gaming, etc.

Please consider this request to provide some alternative. By the fact there is a mod post about this issue indicates I am not the only one who would appreciate this change. I would also like to know if Paetron's also experience this download problem?

Thank you

Whist34

Oct 24, 2014
Thank you for hosting the files.

I still think there should be an "official" alternative site.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Now, did you actually read the post?
I did, I was thinking of editing my post to comment before you reply.
  • The files are hosted in a development server. Our developers generate the files which are uploaded there.
  • Adfly doesn't host files, it's a link redirecter with ads (and some fishy stuff) so a server is still necessary. And people hated adfly and we had tons of problems with it. Now we use GoogleAdsense, way safer.
  • Dropbox is a good alternative for low bandwidth. The problem is, if the downloads exceed the limit Dropbox suspends the link. Bad for Galacticraft.
  • Curse Gaming is the last-standing option. I personally don't have opinion about it, I know some people like it, others hate it.

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
and yes the temporary link is Dropbox, so it can only handle about 1000 downloads a day ... I'll keep an eye on it and if we are getting close to that, I'll find another solution...

Please bear with us while the normal download server gets fixed. Moaning about it does not help, every site in the world experiences some downtime sometimes, and unfortunately this weekend it's a holiday weekend in North America so not the best time to get people to fix stuff!