Dust Storms?

PatriotAtwood

Nov 11, 2013
Hey, I was playing some Galacticraft today and just had an idea, what if Mars had dust storms that operated similarly to vanilla Minecraft snow. I think it would just be cool to see some weather on the other worlds.

Reactions: Galakor_z93

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
I just had to look up whether dust storms actually occur on Mars (which they very much do) because I think that would be a really cool dynamic to add. Apparently they can form relatively quickly and can last for weeks. It would be cool in a challenging sort of way if it makes it difficult to see very far and the dust would block out sunlight preventing solar panels from performing as well. To offset the added challenge it could at least maybe despawn any mobs that are outside?

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I just had to look up whether dust storms actually occur on Mars (which they very much do) because I think that would be a really cool dynamic to add. Apparently they can form relatively quickly and can last for weeks. It would be cool in a challenging sort of way if it makes it difficult to see very far and the dust would block out sunlight preventing solar panels from performing as well. To offset the added challenge it could at least maybe despawn any mobs that are outside?

I wouldn't want it to be too hard. Nothing like it damaging your base or killing players stuck in one. Maybe just something like a reddish snowstorm that rolls in. It would be slightly denser than vanilla snowstorms (that means more "snow flakes") that travels diagonally (because of wind) if that's even possible. Or maybe a reddish haze that makes things hard to see especially at a distance.

It could even create those titles like snow does except they'd be red. There's a mod that makes those snow tiles change into snow slabs and eventually into a snow block to make it seem like the snow is piling up as it snows. Maybe something like that could be done with dust from a dust storm.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriotAtwood

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't want it to be too hard. Nothing like it damaging your base or killing players stuck in one. Maybe just something like a reddish snowstorm that rolls in. It would be slightly denser than vanilla snowstorms (that means more "snow flakes") that travels diagonally (because of wind) if that's even possible. Or maybe a reddish haze that makes things hard to see especially at a distance.

That's pretty much exactly how I imagine it. It wouldn't cause any damage whatsoever, just the inconvenience of poor visibility and reduced sunlight resulting in decreased solar power output. Apparently the real dust storms only consist of very fine dust that doesn't really harm probes or equipment that has been sent there anyway, they just can't generate enough power from their solar panels.

Reactions: PatriotAtwood

Donzaffi

Sep 28, 2013
In a Kingdom far far away
That's pretty much exactly how I imagine it. It wouldn't cause any damage whatsoever, just the inconvenience of poor visibility and reduced sunlight resulting in decreased solar power output. Apparently the real dust storms only consist of very fine dust that doesn't really harm probes or equipment that has been sent there anyway, they just can't generate enough power from their solar panels.

It can cause Potion effect blind or what do you think

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth

Well it harms them in the sense that it gets into things and makes it hard for thinks like arms and wheels to move properly. Apparently it also sticks to solar panels. I guess all that dust whirling around gets a static charge.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Well it harms them in the sense that it gets into things and makes it hard for thinks like arms and wheels to move properly. Apparently it also sticks to solar panels. I guess all that dust whirling around gets a static charge.

Ah, that makes sense. Well at least it wouldn't cause any sort of impact damage like destroying your machines or breaking the window of your base or anything like that.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Ah, that makes sense. Well at least it wouldn't cause any sort of impact damage like destroying your machines or breaking the window of your base or anything like that.

Yeah at most it would pile up like snow in vanilla does and maybe get on top of your solar collectors.

Maybe it should do damage to a player if you're on hard or hardcore mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
If it's something that the player can't overcome for once or can't get around, I don't agree, because it would add micromanagement: player would have to stop what he was doing to repair solar panels every day that would have dust storm and the like. It's unavoidable unless you remove the equipments outside and shelter them.

I'm for dust storm damaging armors and suits. The marcian dust is like smashed glass, that is, the sand grains are very sharp and pointy and can erode the suits in the bends. The armor and the suits would lose durability *if* the player is not properly sheltered, even if the player decides to expose to a sand dust, he could be able to repair the overalls. If the player is not using a protection, he could get 1 damage point every 2 or 3 seconds. No mask = blindness.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
If it's something that the player can't overcome for once or can't get around, I don't agree, because it would add micromanagement: player would have to stop what he was doing to repair solar panels every day that would have dust storm and the like. It's unavoidable unless you remove the equipments outside and shelter them.

I'm for dust storm damaging armors and suits. The marcian dust is like smashed glass, that is, the sand grains are very sharp and pointy and can erode the suits in the bends. The armor and the suits would lose durability *if* the player is not properly sheltered, even if the player decides to expose to a sand dust, he could be able to repair the overalls. If the player is not using a protection, he could get 1 damage point every 2 or 3 seconds. No mask = blindness.

Well it would damage solar panels the same way snow does. I wouldn't be against players having to shelter their solars the same way they have to do it in snowy biomes.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Well it would damage solar panels the same way snow does. I wouldn't be against players having to shelter their solars the same way they have to do it in snowy biomes.
Yes, but in this case the player chose to build in a snowy biome, so he has no excuse since (most of us?) everyone knows that it snows in cold biomes... (derp... knows, snows, duh echophony) ... and snowfalls cause snow to make deposits.

I think dust storm could be treated as rain, it darkens the sky, limits the view, dust particles instead of water drops; the bad ones could lower the light level for hostile mobs to spawn during the day. Mars could also get a cold biome (Marcian Snowcaps?) where it snows and makes snow deposits, if the player doesn't mind to clean the solar panels he can pick this place.

As you can see I'm trying to use the overworld weather system as a reference for Mars. For science. :)

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
Yes, but in this case the player chose to build in a snowy biome, so he has no excuse since (most of us?) everyone knows that it snows in cold biomes... (derp... knows, snows, duh echophony) ... and snowfalls cause snow to make deposits.

Well a player also chooses to build a base on Mars. If they don't know, they'd eventually learn that there are dust storms on Mars.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
After being inspired by a certain post, it brought me into thinking about the epic dust storms on Mars. At its peak they're global and may last for entire months, which meanwhile will have the surface shrouded in darkness.
Mother of God! I very much like the idea of dust storms on Mars already. The ability to see them in such a way as this makes me very excite. I think this also points back to the idea of using telescopes to be able to see conditions like this and others.

I've made some experiences with dust storms. I tried to use Blindness but it was so all-or-nothing, it didn't work well, all you can see is a black wall around you. Limiting the view distance is enough. Click on the images for larger size:

Daytime:

Nighttime - this one is pretty nasty and spooky:

Dawn:

(repost from : http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/a-base-on-mars.1382/page-2#post-28835)

Reactions: Space Viking

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I've made some experiences with dust storms. I tried to use Blindness but it was so all-or-nothing, it didn't work well, all you can see is a black wall around you. Limiting the view distance is enough. Click on the images for larger size:

-pics-

For dust particles, one idea could be retexturing rain or snow flakes. Still looking good though.

Just like in real-life, I've also been thinking maybe dust storms wouldn't reach really high mountain formations akin to Olympus Mons.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
For dust particles, one idea could be retexturing rain or snow flakes. Still looking good though.

Just like in real-life, I've also been thinking maybe dust storms wouldn't reach really high mountain formations akin to Olympus Mons.

How cool would that look if you were standing on top of a tall hill or mountain looking down at an ocean of red dust cloud with a few mountain peaks piercing through.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
My turn trying making dust storms:

By editing the snow fall texture, I could create... a swarm of rust mosquitoes?

I imagine you Ezer might be interested in the texture: http://i.imgur.com/t2T5Pe4.png
Simply rename it to "snow.png" and toss it into the environment folder.

How cool would that look if you were standing on top of a tall hill or mountain looking down at an ocean of red dust cloud with a few mountain peaks piercing through.

I was thinking the lower part of the skybox could become rust red all the way to the skyline, which would be a well pronounced feature when on high altitude locations. I didn't think about a volumetric fog effect of some sort though, but it would certainly be a really cool effect.

I'm not sure how such an effect could be done, but in theory it shouldn't be more complicated than how regular Minecraft clouds functions, but multi-layered and using a color matching the dust storm. In between this layer of clouds could be the transition zone for the actual fog.

Reactions: AcapitalA

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
My turn trying making dust storms:

By editing the snow fall texture, I could create... a swarm of rust mosquitoes?

I imagine you Ezer might be interested in the texture: http://i.imgur.com/t2T5Pe4.png
Simply rename it to "snow.png" and toss it into the environment folder.

I was thinking the lower part of the skybox could become rust red all the way to the skyline, which would be a well pronounced feature when on high altitude locations. I didn't think about a volumetric fog effect of some sort though, but it would certainly be a really cool effect.

I'm not sure how such an effect could be done, but in theory it shouldn't be more complicated than how regular Minecraft clouds functions, but multi-layered and using a color matching the dust storm. In between this layer of clouds could be the transition zone for the actual fog.
Nice, it would be more epic if the snowflakes were replaced with some rusty steel bars going straight in one direction. (visually, of course)