Extra Planets Tips & Secrets

chezpaul

Oct 23, 2014
NOTICE: "This mod updates pretty often (which is really cool), but sometimes the recipes change here and there, so don't take this advice as constant."

I am using version 0.8.5 of Extra Planets with Minecraft 1.10.2 running Forge 2511.

I'm a long fan of the Galacticraft and Extra Planets mods. As much as you can find anything and everything you would want about Galacticraft on the web, it's a little bit harder to find information about Extra Planets.

So I thought I would have a thread here where we can post what we know from the mod and help each other out.

First I'll post where to find the ores:
Code:
Palladium: Jupiter
Tungsten: Pluto
Platinum: Kepler 22b
Uranium: Ceres
Zinc: Neptune
Nickel: Jupiter
Magnesium: Saturn
Lead: Deimos & Phobos
Crystal Stone: Uranus
Carbon: Mercury & Venus
Dark Iron: Eris
Ilmenite(Titanium): Asteroids
Desh: Mars

Next, where to find the schematics to each Rocket:
Code:
Tier 2: Moon (also Moon buggy & Mars Rover)
Venus: Shield Controller & Venus Rover Schematics
Tier 3: Mars (also Astro Miner and Cargo Rocket Schematics)
Tier 4: Mercury (also Geiger Counter)
Tier 5: Jupiter
Tier 6: Saturn
Tier 7: Uranus
Tier 8: Neptune
Tier 9: Pluto
Tier 10: Eris
Tier 10 Electric Rocket: Eris

The hardest thing about this mod (so far for me (I'm on Tier 4 Rockets)) is dealing with the Radiation levels. Radiation starts on Mercury I think. It's present on Mercury and Ceres and Jupiter and it's moons and I'm guessing all planets after these have it too. There are 3 ways to bring your radiation down (as of 0.8.6). You can sleep for 5% off, or you can build a Anti Radiation drink for 50% off or build a Basic Decontamination Unit for 10% off (0.8.6 only).

Now sleeping is easy but you can only do it so often and you will never be able to do anything in space if you rely on this. The Basic Decontamination Unit just came out (Jan 1st 2018) but it seems like you can only charge it by inserting 1M worth of RF batteries (for now). So that's a lot of batteries in and out until you reach that charge. So I would recommend to find all the ingredients in order to make the Anti Radiation Drink.

So you will need 5 things for that:

- Potash found on Mercury (limited amounts)
- Mercury Ore found on Mercury (limited amounts)
- Crystalize Water found on Ceres (easily) (bring a fluid tank or two)
- Infected Water found on Mercury (easy but further apart)
- Build the machines needed (The only hard ingot to get is the Extra Planet Uranium ingot (IC2 or Thermal Foundation Uranium won't work) (The Uranium you need can be found on Ceres but is extremely rare)

I will right away tell you that there isn't much use in running around the planets mining the proper ways. You just won't have time. You need so much potash just to make one bottle of Anti Rad that I would recommend using a quarry to get all the ores you need from each planet. And keep moving that Quarry around. When I was mining the minecraft way, I would get 5 or 6 blocks of potash before I had to leave the planet because of Radiation. Then you can't go back on the planet for another few days until you sleep off your radiation. Plus, if you don't have a magic mod with which you can do a light spell, good luck lighting up all these planet caves.

Once you have found all the proper items you will then need to build these machines:

- Basic Crystallizer (input Liquid Crystalized Water, output Iodized Salt)
- Basic Purifier (input Infected Water and Iodized Salt, output Clean Water)
- Basic Smasher (input Potash, output Potash Shards)
- Basic Solar Evaporation (input SUN (has to be outside) & Potash Shards, outputs Potassium)
- Basic Chemical Injector (inputs Iodized Salt & Potassium, outputs Potassium Iodine)

In order to make just one Anti Radiation bottle, you need 6 Potassium Iodine. That's a lot. I have it all automated and usually get 10 Anti Rad bottles made from a 120 by 120 Quarry searching for Potash on Mercury.

So yes, you will often need to go to Mercury if you want to survive this mod. So make a nice base there. As an example, I've been at it for over 4 months without any cheats and I'm still only at Tier 4.

Right now I'm searching for the Tier 5 Schematics on Jupiter. I'm one week into it with Anti Rad bottles, using 5 or 6 at a time and I haven't found a single dungeon yet.

Anyway, I'm done for now. Feel free to add your 2 cents.

EDIT: I was just told that if you have a sealed oxygen habitat with a bubble then the Radiation will stop when in this habitat. Very cool incentive in building a base.

Also, I recommend the use of the Stargate Mod. It allows you to travel from planet to planet so much faster, add to that this little Opencomputer gem program (made by Nex4rius) which dials in the portals for you.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: MJRLegends

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
And keep moving that Quarry around. When I was mining the minecraft way, I would get 5 or 6 blocks of potash before I had to leave the planet because of Radiation

Astro Miners + Cargo Rockets?

Reactions: MJRLegends

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I meant when you are not in the dimension that the Astro Miner is.
Oh, that's a different thing. Astro Miners aren't chunk loaders, see:

https://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Astro_Miner#Known_issues (Known issues and Future upgrades)

So you'll need to place chunk loaders from another mod. Galacticraft has chunk loaders (e.g. Launch Controllers), but they aren't meant to load large areas for a secondary use.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
In Galacticraft 4, AstroMiners are "self-chunk loaders" so long as their owner is online on the server.

This means the AstroMiner will keep moving and will temporarily load the chunk where it is currently at (and the one it will next move into). Which chunk that is, will keep changing as the AstroMiner moves around.

https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/commit/8c5ff20d79e0d27f4700957b2cdfe73bb38d6363 - I don't know which build this is but maybe you can figure out from the date.

I think the AstroMiner should even load the chunk where its base is, because when it is docking that is the direction it is headed. That means that it can dock and re-charge. This will eventually fail when the dock has no energy (for example because the power generation systems of the base are in a different chunk from the chunk where the dock is) - then I think the AstroMiner will stay docked with no power, until the whole local region gets chunk-loaded and power generation can start again.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Since that change, I think it should be impossible to "lose" an AstroMiner. You can always Recall it to its base. (Its path back to base can be blocked, but in that case the base tells you where it is at, with the Delta X, Delta Y, Delta Z.)

Wiki really needs a solid update for GC4 features...

chezpaul

Oct 23, 2014
I am running v. 4 so it should work.
I did have an Astro Miner in the asteroid belts but it disappeared and never came back. I have no clue where it is. I can recall it but it doesn't come back. ;-)

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I am running v. 4 so it should work.
I can recall it but it doesn't come back. ;-)
I sometimes wonder if it is not possible to track down an entity that is far away stuck in an unloaded chunk. I agree that the entity can't be traced if it's not in the live memory of the game, but still it's saved somewhere, "sleeping", in the world file, unless it fell in the void by evil forces. :D

Reactions: chezpaul

7eggert

Apr 20, 2018
You can boost the chunk range to the max, then recall it. That's how I found one astro miner … but I could not recall it since there now is a second one.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
hmm seems like I need to do more on Astro Miners then. We don't want players to be losing these very costly machines.

Current intended behaviour is:
  1. the Astro Miner is alive and working if its player is online (in any dimension*)
  2. visiting the Astro Miner's base should tell you where it is, the Delta X, Y, Z coordinates should tell you
  3. the Recall button should always work
  4. the Astro Miner goes dormant (not moving and unbreakable) if its player is offline
(* Some dimensions like Space Stations do not stay loaded if there is no player present, if the whole dimension unloads then the Astro Miner can't keep working)

There are problems with 1, 2 and 3 on Sponge servers, as usual when we try to do anything complicated Sponge is a PITA.

Apart from Sponge servers, if it's not working currently as intended it would help me to have more info. I mean, does it work correctly at first but then after a while something breaks it (e.g. player death or player teleporting using another mod?)

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

7eggert

Apr 20, 2018
Some quick info: I'm using MC 1.10.2 with rftools-dimensions and voxelmap for teleportation, enderio transceivers to have energy.. I don't think that matters.

When logged off from on overworld and loading minecraft again, the astro miner in the asteroids didn't seem to do anything. The first time it seemed lost, so I got a second one, destroyed the base, built it again, /gcastrominer reset and put in the replacement miner. It got blocked by protected area while following it in creative / spectator mode. So I stayed in the base and boosted my range when it stopped moving - that helped. Then I boosted some more … and the second one appeared again.

Meanwhile I found out that /gckeeploaded in the asteroid dimension would promise to keep it loaded.

Later I reloaded MC again, the astro miner did not do anything until I went to the asteroids.

Just now both managed to return and got both docked, they blocked each other from starting again. The recall button was inactive.

Maybe if there are more than one astro miner, the second one can be put into the inventory after unloading; then activate the extra one that was previously freezed. That way it would be self-healing.

Also: I didn't try the recall button yet, so this is for completeness: I'd expect a mechanism to turn mining on and off. If it's off, I expect the miner to stay docked.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018
I should also inform you that optifine is a mod that isn't just a fps booster, but also adds many enhancements. Dynamic lighting is one of them and allows you to light rooms, even if the torch is in your hand.

cestmir

Jun 18, 2018
Good post, I've always liked ExtraPlanets for its content but the lack of a wiki has been, well, a little annoying...

I think it'd be a great idea if we create a wiki of some sort.

fizz

Jul 6, 2018
I'm playing solo on Modern Skyblock 3 Departed

Mekanism's Digital Miner is a great bet on mining these resources~
you can specify what to mine, and with anchor upgrade, chunk loading is built in

my DM was set y:0~100 x:+-32, mining in a single spot without moving it around,
resulting : 1900~ Mercury Ore, 1650~ Carbon Ore, 1000~ Potash

and with a proper Mek setup, both Mercury and Carbon can be x5'ed

fizz

Jul 6, 2018
on a related note, i know it's kinda cheesy but...

there's this machine from Industrial Foregoing called Ore Dictionary Converter and, well, you can guess the rest, lol~

shyvha

Aug 8, 2018
Hi. Thx for these usefull tips. Another one : if EU2 is installed on server, RF Wireless transmitter works to supply power to the decontamination chamber.