Farming on Mars

Benoni

Oct 20, 2013
It would be cool if you could hoe the ground of Mars you wouldn't need to bring dirt with you or other things from Earth. You'll only need to bring water and a hoe. I think it is a cool idea. What do you think?

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
It would be cool if you could hoe the ground of Mars you wouldn't need to bring dirt with you or other things from Earth.
It's a cool idea. And it's already implemented, so you don't need to bring dirt and water. You need to use the Terraformer (see here) to convert unfertile soil into grass land.

Direct link to the video: Terraforming Mars
or:
(skip to 3:13 for the terraformer)

Last edited:
Reactions: MoltonMontro

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
It's a cool idea. And it's already implemented, so you don't need to bring dirt and water. You need to use the Terraformer (see here) to convert unfertile soil into grass land.

or:

Yes there is the Terraformer, but you still need to bring supplies in order for that to work. So it is already implemented, but still kind of isn't. I don't really know what the surface of Mars is made of, but I'm not sure it is capable of directly supporting plant life in its current state. But that always goes back to the arguement that it is just a game so anything could happen. Howerver, even though anything could happen, that doesn't mean that everything should be that easy. I personally think that it should stay the way it is and that you need to bring the materials to make it capable of supporting life, whether by directly placing dirt blocks or using the Terraformer.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Yes there is the Terraformer, but you still need to bring supplies in order for that to work.
My fault. I was pretty imprecise. You still need to bring some supply, but at least the system semi-automatically "replaces" the soil. Otherwise you'd need to replace manually by removing or covering the superficial layer with good soil.

Reactions: Benoni

Benoni

Oct 20, 2013
My fault. I was pretty imprecise. You still need to bring some supply, but at least the system semi-automatically "replaces" the soil. Otherwise you'd need to replace manually by removing or covering the superficial layer with good soil.
seems fair.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013

or:
Your videos are funny xD Good show off. Haven't really used the terraformer that much.

Last edited:

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
I like it the way it currently is. Terraformer makes sense on mars, where as the moon was (In theory) once part of the Earth and therefore its soil is somewhat capable of being fertilized much more easily. So for all those people out there who think that its just a game and it doesn't need to be realistic, my argument to you is that micdoodle has allready implemented mostly realistic thing (for minecraft standard) and I think he should keep making it realistic.

Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
it's just a game and it doesn't need to be realistic
You can fit anything in the "it's just a game" argument, it's like a Joker card. One could propose that if you ride a rocket into the ocean you will spawn inside a Zombie stomach... cool? no? hey, this is just a game, it doesn't need to be realistic. Then we come to a conclusion that we need to draw a line between what makes sense and what does not. Micdoodle8 already did it:

About:
Galacticraft allows you to explore the solar system in your own spaceship.
http://micdoodle8.com/mods/galacticraft

Galacticraft has a real-world background, but it's not bound to it. You pick up real-life elements to work in favor of the game and its proposal. People usually go wild in the suggestions and proposes all kind of nonsense, potato-walk or reality-nazi stuff, it is just part of the fun; but who decides what will be included in the game is the project leader. Therefore, there is no need to be upset when other doesn't agree with you, nor do you need to force your argument upon others just because you believe you are right.

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif

Last edited:

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
You can fit anything in the "it's just a game" argument, it's like a Joker card. One could propose that if you ride a rocket into the ocean you will spawn inside a Zombie stomach... cool? no? hey, this is just a game, it doesn't need to be realistic. Then we come to a conclusion that we need to draw a line between what makes sense and what does not. Micdoodle8 already did it:

http://micdoodle8.com/mods/galacticraft

Galacticraft has a real-world background, but it's not bound to it. You pick up real-life elements to work in favor of the game and its proposal. People usually go wild in the suggestions and proposes all kind of nonsense, potato-walk or reality-nazi stuff, it is just part of the fun; but who decides what will be included in the game is the project leader. Therefore, there is no need to be upset when other doesn't agree with you, nor do you need to force your argument upon others just because you believe you are right.

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif
Lol, funny gif. Anyway, what I was trying to state in my post was that IN MY OPPINION i think it should be realistic. Thats all I was trying to say, I was trying to force my opinion upon you. And again, that gif is utterly hilarious

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Anyway, what I was trying to state in my post was that IN MY OPPINION i think it should be realistic. Thats all I was trying to say, I was trying to force my opinion upon you.
Oops, that's the downside of using generic "you". I didn't want to mean you were trying to force opinions upon people. ^^'

In the 2nd paragraph, I wasn't meaning "you" the person whom I am talking to, but the impersonal "you" which can be read as "one", "whoever/whomever" or "it". Sorry if I caused misunderstandings.

Personally I prefer some realism since I'm playing a game that proposes a space program through the solar system, so I would like to experience some elements from real-life but not scientific accuracy (expectation > reality). For example, I'd like to find Martian-made canals and pyramids on Mars just because of all fantasy and speculation about the planet even though those structures are nonexistent in real life.

Last edited:

Zachecho

Dec 2, 2013
Not really, mars contains dusts and a rocky surface i don't really see how you could grow plants on its soil