Food Decomposer

cricket354

Apr 3, 2015
So, I was doing some research for a story that I was writing a while back, and the main character had the ability to do alchemy, and I wanted him to get a sustainable food source from it. I found that food, except for the minerals and some proteins in it, it entirely composed of hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon. So, I think that in the later tiers, maybe on one of the moons of Jupiter, there should be materials to create a machine that turns food into minerals.

Minerals would be turned into whatever they're used for in the body, so from calcium and phosphorus you could get bones, for example. But the real beauty of it is that from that farm of yours you could supply a small amount of the oxygen needed for life, but the rest, and the carbon, could be synthesized into carbon dioxide, which along with the hydrogen, would allow you to turn sunlight shining on your space station and your excess food into fuel, so you could provide enough fuel to bring back resources you can't get in orbit, like redstone and diamonds. It would be useful in later gameplay as you go farther out. And, iron, copper, and silicon can be found in food as well, though in much smaller amounts.

What do all you fine people think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 8, 2015
I think it could be useful but would you think that food is important, and what if you're running on low materials during on a exploration and you have low food that could be a problem

cricket354

Apr 3, 2015
I think it could be useful but would you think that food is important, and what if you're running on low materials during on a exploration and you have low food that could be a problem

Yeah, but this whole thing works on the idea of you having some sort of permanent base in which you have a farm. Said farm would get you your food for the process, but it would need energy. The methane synthesizer works like chlorophyll, so why not copy another natural process in the form of digestion?

cricket354

Apr 3, 2015
That looks impossible though in other words very complicated

It works kind of like digestion, just like the methane synthesizer uses similar processes to chlorophyll to synthesizer methane, where chlorophyll makes sugar. Both make a substance with chemical energy, but one is more geared towards technology, providing rocket fuel instead of using the energy to sustain the reaction. The food decomposer is geared towards technology, providing resources different from the one put in to be used to sustain life, but in a different way than digestion. Same end goal, different ways of achieving it, slightly different end products, and perhaps one is better than the other.

waterlubber

May 30, 2015
Kerbin
In other words, your decomposing and electrolyzing the food. I like the idea. Then again...soylent green.

To save you from starvation, maybe add a machine that takes the minerals from your blood and turns it into food
This is impossible, your literally taking the food you just ate out only to eat it again.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
There's already something in the game which turns carbon dioxide, minerals and water into food. It's called wheat. Pumpkins, melons and cane also do this.

We do plan at some future time to have tough water and oxygen requirements for growing any types of plants in space dimensions. Exact details have not yet been announced, but there's some discussion here http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Game_Balance#Hard_Mode

We might also some time look at adding hydroponics, something like this:
marsfarm.jpg

Mar 8, 2015
There's already something in the game which turns carbon dioxide, minerals and water into food. It's called wheat. Pumpkins, melons and cane also do this.

We do plan at some future time to have tough water and oxygen requirements for growing any types of plants in space dimensions. Exact details have not yet been announced, but there's some discussion here http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Game_Balance#Hard_Mode

We might also some time look at adding hydroponics, something like this:
marsfarm.jpg
That could work, but do you that could take time?

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
That could work, but do you that could take time?
I could imagine hydroponics being easier to implement than difficult requirements for regular wheat. In the end, it would be just a block which consumes water and energy and outputs oxygen. I think creating pretty models for it would be more work than writing the code.

For the model, I would suggest something like in the photo, but with glass around the plants, for realism's sake. Even if plants grow in vacuum in GalactiCraft, and it would make oxygen collection easier. OR, maybe a variant without the glass, which doubles as a weak oxygen distributor or sealer

Mar 8, 2015
I could imagine hydroponics being easier to implement than difficult requirements for regular wheat. In the end, it would be just a block which consumes water and energy and outputs oxygen. I think creating pretty models for it would be more work than writing the code.

For the model, I would suggest something like in the photo, but with glass around the plants, for realism's sake. Even if plants grow in vacuum in GalactiCraft, and it would make oxygen collection easier. OR, maybe a variant without the glass, which doubles as a weak oxygen distributor or sealer
Like a greenhouse block, or something like that