Galacticraft Crashing on Forge Client side

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
You have an entity ID conflict with another mod. Either delete the other mod, or you can maybe fix it by changing IDs in configs. Go to .minecraft/config/Galacticraft/core.conf and search for this line.
Code:
 I:idEntityEvolvedSkeletonBoss=170
Change the number 170 to something else (less than 256) until it works.

chezpaul

Oct 23, 2014
Thanks for helping out... Only problem is that Galacticraft never gets to launch so it never creates a core.conf file.
Any other way to get around this ?

Or how could I find which other mod has ID 170 ?
In config folder ? Open each config file ?

chezpaul

Oct 23, 2014
I found a mob beach villager from Oceancraft that has an ID of 170.
Can I just change the ID to anything less than 256 ?
Would I have to change anything else anywher else ?

chezpaul

Oct 23, 2014
Okay I found 10 identical ID's between 170 and 180 and changes core.conf ID's and mars.conf ID's.
Seems to launch now.
On a side question, does adding mods add lag ?
This is the last mod I decided to add but I'm not sure the kids will be able to go that deep.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thanks for the info about OceanCraft, I'll mention that in future if anyone experiences a similar problem.
Great that you have it working OK.

Does adding mods add lag? Hard to answer!
  • Everything in the game adds some lag, 2 zombies makes more lag than 1 zombie, etc.
  • If you are running a server for let's say 10 players or less, and you have a reasonably fast CPU and no network issues, then in normal playing conditions lag shouldn't be a problem, like nothing anyone should notice - the server should normally be able to maintain 19-20 ticks per second (tps)
  • Some things inevitably produce lag - worldgen is one. So on a well managed server you will try to pre-generate all the parts of the overworld that players can easily reach, before the players come online. (It's a balance: pre-generating the world unnecessarily will make your server take more disk space than it needs to.)
  • Mobs and machines each make a small amount of lag, but you shouldn't notice it unless you have hundreds of them. For example, if a player made a base with 200 electrical generators and a complex item routing system with a lot of pipes, and items in the pipes all the time, that might make for some lag.
  • Anything in large numbers makes for lag - it could be a broken Buildcraft pipe on a quarry spewing hundreds of blocks into the world, it could be an out of control mob breeding program
  • Electrical systems make different amounts of lag depending on the mod and how it's programmed: in 1.6.4 and before, Universal Electricity (and Mekanism) were fairly bad lagwise for large electrical networks (e.g. 100 generators connected to 100 batteries via the same set of wires would make a whole server "feel" slow). Thermal Expansion was fairly bad, IC2 pretty good. We did a lot of work in Galacticraft in 1.6.4 to make it one of the good ones, and that has continued into 1.7.2 / 1.7.10. I can't comment on the 1.7.10 versions of other mods.
  • Sometimes programming bugs, or just bad programming style, in specific mods can make for bad lag, even crash a server, when certain things happen. ICBM mod is an example, its largest explosions will typically make a lag spike or bring down a server. In general I would hope that if server owners bring these issues to the attention of mod authors they will try to find a fix for it.
Galacticraft has a current lag issue in the Asteroids dimension only, we are working hard to find a fix. That's no reason not to set up a Galacticraft server now. But you should be willing to update the mod sometimes, to get the latest fixes. Sometimes updates can be server only, but if the version number changes (e.g. if GC 3.0.5.228 becomes GC 3.0.6.230) then the clients will need to update to 3.0.6.xxx as well.

chezpaul

Oct 23, 2014
No problem. It seems to work fine now that I did those changes. I don't think they will be flying anything soon anyway. haha. ;-)
Is there a way to be emailed when an update comes through ?

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Major update releases will be announced on mine or micdoodle8's Twitter (@radfast, @micdoodle8)
Any release making a substantial gameplay change is usually mentioned here: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/galacticraft-3-release-notes.4372/
For daily builds & every bugfix release, you would need to watch this Github issue: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/791 or just keep an eye on the Jenkins (link through the "Changelog" button here http://micdoodle8.com/mods/galacticraft/downloads)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Hmm, that's actually quite a good idea, an email list for Galacticraft server owners only.

The best might be to have a relevant forum thread with update news that server owners can "watch", I guess the forum allows you to watch one thread only?

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
I think that you can watch any number of forums you want?

However, if there is 10 posts per day, it is too much. So if you are interested in news, you will find out. :))))