Galacticraft Simple Questions

gustavo

Nov 4, 2014
Hello guys,

First of all, great mod, i´ve been playing for 1 year now, updating with you guys... great work so far. I got some questions thou, please folks, keep in mind they are direct to the mod creators, thank you.

1) I press M now and i see the Solar System map, with Venus, the Asteroid belt, the Gas giants and their moons and stuff, so i say 'wow' now galacticraft will add all the planets and moons of our solar system, on each update they will eventually come out... ok i love it, but there is a catch, 4-Space mod did this already, and with good results (i made a space base on Venus and the planet is galacticraft worth, no doubt at all.) so my question here is this:

Did the Galacticraft merge with 4-Space? or you guys will just re-make Venus all over again? if so, why ?

2) From this bodies, all will be add? :
Venus, Io, Europa, Ganimedes, Pluto, Triton, Titan, Enceladus

Because in my opinion those are the major ones in terms of 'stuff' you can put on them.
Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune cannot be visited on foot since they got no crust (their only solid part, if any, would be deep on their interior, with insane gravity)

3) there is this other mod i never played but i saw nice videos, i thinks its called WarpDrive Mod, does what it says, warping like star trek to other places, on a ship you build with blocks, like on archmedes ship mod, not a bad idea too for a far future... but i really really think you guys should make all major solar bodies before jump to exoplanets and nebulas.

I can offer my help as a texturer, astronomy info and game stuff, i can also discuss there if you guys want too,
again congratulations for the work so far... keep up the good job !

gustavo

Nov 4, 2014
not true... there is dungeons, schematics to make tier 3 rocket, all you need on Venus, and plenty stuff like venusian batery... anyway this matter less to me, what i want to know is the future of GC as i said, i dont care if they merge or not, but the fact remain that 4-space Venus is GC worth make no mistake, all im saying is that GC crew can safe time using 4-space mod stuff, its simple. Its not a critic, its a sugestion only, and a question ;)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thank you for the compliments.

WarpDrive is not in 1.7.10.

See the Suggestions area of the forum for plenty of discussion of what could be added in future:
http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.p...-ideas-read-this-before-posting-an-idea.3677/

We have not previously incorporated any add-ons, because none has been absolutely consistent with our own ideas for the mod. In future we will definitely need a lot more planets - if you count how many moons Jupiter has, that becomes rather important! But I am not interested in adding planets unless they have marked differences from other planets. We don't want a lot of near-identical dimensions just with different numbers for gravity, brightness or stone tint.

One of the magical things about Minecraft is it makes a computer-generated world ("procedurally generated") which is so good - despite its blockiness - that players can easily "suspend disbelief". I mean, while you are playing, it feels like you are standing at the top of a cliff, flying over a forest, standing on a beach watching a sunset, sailing across an ocean desperate to find an island, lost in an icy waste etc etc. Extreme Hills (or the 'Canyon' biome in Extra Biomes) is so steep it's a pain to walk through, you have to find your way across obstacles and you start to long for a Plains or River biome. A Forest biome is a bit the same - you are running along and there's another damn tree in your way. The Jungle feels lush. The Swamp feels yucky (again especially with Extra Biomes adding mud and quicksand etc). The Mushroom biome feels weird. So by magic, this computer game is able to make the player feel emotions about the terrain, even though it is procedurally (mathematically) generated out of blocks.

That's a pretty smart thing. And we want that feeling to persist into our space dimensions in Galacticraft.

I think Galacticraft has done that really, really well on the Moon (which was before I joined the team). It really feels to me how the Moon should feel, the gravity is exactly right, the craters are perfect. And it's correct that there is not too much to see on the Moon - the first astronauts to go there described it as "magnificent desolation". As I've posted elsewhere on the forum recently, Mars and Asteroids can still be improved. Mars is getting there in Galacticraft 3 thanks to the beautiful new skybox, but terrain still needs some love.

To keep things interesting, I also think that each new planet really needs at least one new mob - and preferably two.

There's really not much point in somebody making a new planet unless they have a full understanding of what I posted above. University-level mathematics (or an equivalent level of understanding) would also be an advantage, as the procedural terrain generation in Minecraft uses fairly advanced mathematics in the noisegen functions.

As all the excellent people who have actually tried making a planet as an add-on in Galacticraft have discovered, it is somewhat difficult to make a good one. Realistically it takes minimum 1 month of work per planet. I don't want to discourage anyone, but it is probably not the best job for a Java beginner, or a Minecraft modding novice. I'm actually being kind in saying that: if you look through the Add-ons area of the forum, you can see more abandoned projects than completed ones. People start out all excited because they have a great idea for a planet, but then they get down to actually doing it, and find out it is hard. I think that must be very discouraging for a learning programmer. It would be better to start with an easier project, and have the satisfaction of finishing it and making something good and playable.

I understand that the community wants to help us make new planets in Galacticraft. I suggest the best approach would be all to support the small number of guys who have already made some real progress with Add-ons. Someone should update 4-Space to 1.7.10. And instead of two people making half a new planet, they should both join up and help each other make one finished, polished product. It's also much easier (and more fun) working together on something like that, and who knows, people can make friends! The guys who have made some progress on this know who each other are - you can see each other posting on the forum - so I really urge people to take this teamwork approach.

People who don't know how to code, but are great texture artists, can also be a huge help - but it needs to be something worked on together, the coder and the artist need to agree on what is needed.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@gustavo if you are from Brazil (?) you could also maybe talk to Ezer'Arch (forum Moderator and author of the Portuguese translation of Galacticraft) about helping him with the translation of the pt_BR.lang files, as I think they have a few recent things which still need translating.

Matthew A

Nov 9, 2014
Wisconsin USA
mattparks.net
Someone should update 4-Space to 1.7.10. And instead of two people making half a new planet, they should both join up and help each other make one finished, polished product. It's also much easier (and more fun) working together on something like that, and who knows, people can make friends! The guys who have made some progress on this know who each other are - you can see each other posting on the forum - so I really urge people to take this teamwork approach.
Me and MCCommander are doing 1.7.10, I try my best to make the most realistic planets I can while not sacrificing gameplay or making it impossible to go there.

BlesseNtumble

Content developer
Galaxy Space
Space Ambient
Nov 1, 2014
α Centauri Bb
Me and MCCommander are doing 1.7.10, I try my best to make the most realistic planets I can while not sacrificing gameplay or making it impossible to go there.
Explain how you have replaced the standard for its planet?
Or how to make the possibility of a flight to Venus.