Galacticraft space station dimensions - a thread for server admins

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Recent Galacticraft versions (since 1001) offer server admins the option to set some "static dimensions" in the config. This is intended to help with some of the tougher-to-solve dimension issues with other mods and Bukkit plugins.

So, by default, space stations are dynamically loaded dimensions - the dimension only exists on the server when a player is actually in the space station. Some other mods, and Bukkit plugins can't figure that out (including the basics like Factions /f home and Essentials /home or /tpa commands ... but strangely /back seems to be ok with it).

There is a Bukkit / MCPC+ config option to keep the Galacticraft dimensions loaded all the time. To enable it, your bukkit.yml should contain something like this:
Older versions (1.5.2):
Code:
world-settings:
  default:
  keeploaded-environment-normal: true
  keeploaded-environment-nether: true
  keeploaded-environment-the_end: true
  keeploaded-environment-twilightforest: false
  keeploaded-environment-gccorespacestation: true
  keeploaded-environment-gcmoon: true
Newer versions (1.6.4 and later):
Code:
world-environment-settings:
  normal:
    keep-world-loaded: true
  nether:
    keep-world-loaded: true
  the_end:
    keep-world-loaded: false
  gccorespacestation:
  gcmoon:
    enabled: true
  gcmars:
    enabled: true
Note, like every .yml file, you must be super careful to use spaces and not TAB characters for your indents. But I guess all server admins know that :)
Note also that if "keep-world-loaded" is set to false, then it doesn't keep the dimension in memory all the time, but you can still set "enabled" to true which should allow the dimension at least to be registered so that teleportation works. (See more notes on teleportation in my post below - there is a Galacticraft respawn setting which is also relevant.)

If it's mods not plugins which are the issue, or your server doesn't use Bukkit or you don't want to keep all the space stations loaded but only some of them, another option is to register the space stations as "static dimensions" in Galacticraft's config. Either edit the core.conf file, or the Galacticraft command /gckeeploaded lets admins specify a dimension number which you want to add to the static list, from within the game.

By default the core.conf should contain this:
Code:
####################
# dimensions
####################

dimensions {
# IDs to load at startup, and keep loaded until server stops. Can be added via /gckeeploaded
I:"Static Loaded Dimensions" <
>
I:idDimensionOverworldOrbit=-27

# Static Space Station ID
I:idDimensionOverworldOrbitStatic=-26
}

You can add static dimensions to the list between < and >, each dimension number on its own line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezer'Arch

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
The latest 2.0.13 builds of Galacticraft, since 2.0.13.1068, also offer the option for server owners to disable space station creation completely.

To keep some space station fun but with maximum dimension stability, one idea could be to whitelist the server, have your server staff create one or two "public" space stations, set those as static dimensions, then disable space station creation.

(Players who want to make their own space station can, I guess, build out to another spot in the "public" space station dimension and start a space station there, same as they would if they want to build far out in The End. Or if the player can't be bothered to build out, admins can create a building spot for them anywhere in space using the /up 1 trick.)

Reactions: TheWhiteTyger

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Another useful command to know: admins can use /dimensiontp MYNAME as a quick way to get to the space stations.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
If you have multiple Galacticraft servers linked with BungeeCord, you may want to take a look at this thread: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/possible-to-stop-space-station-creation.4017/

The issues described by Nitro there should be fixed in builds 2.0.13.1067 and later, though note that those must be installed client-side so you may need to ensure that all players on your server have that build. It would definitely be wise for modpacks to be based on that build.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
To delete a space station from the server, you need to do three things:
1. Delete the DIMSPACESTATION_# folder from the /world folder
2. Remove the corresponding spacestation_#.dat from the /world/data folder
3. For the player who owned the space station (name is in the spacestation_#.dat file), edit the player .dat file and set "spaceStationDimensionID" to -1

You do not need to renumber the dimensions of the other space stations, it is OK if there are gaps.
Item 3 is needed only if you want to allow that player the option of creating a new space station in future.

(Note: not tested with other mods which do inter-dimensional teleports, for example, Waypoints, Enhanced Portals 2, or Mekanism. If those mods store teleport data some other place than in the DIMSPACESTATION_# folder then you might need to edit that mod data also, to delete teleports in the deleted dimension.)

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Another relevant config setting:

Code:
  # By default, you will respawn on galacticraft dimensions if you die. If you set this to true, you will respawn back on earth.
  B:"Force Overworld Spawn"=false

If this is set to true, you will likely find that Bukkit teleportation (for example, /home /tp /warp - and even /back) does not work to take players to Galacticraft dimensions. The reason for the issue is that Essentials, which operates all those commands, makes use of the vanilla respawn code to do its teleporting. It's possible that different Bukkit plugins, or different teleport methods (for example mods like Enhanced Portals 2) will still work ok even if that respawn setting is set to true.

The intended effect is that setting this to true will prevent players from setting their bed home on Galacticraft dimensions - or more accurately, they can put a bed down and sleep in it, but it won't be the place they respawn at. It also prevents spawning at the default world spawn location in Galacticraft dimensions. It's there to help out players in single player who get "stuck" in a Galacticraft dimension, for example a player who flies to the Moon but doesn't have enough fuel to make it back again, or he forgot to bring a fuel loader. Set this config to true, and the player will be brought back to the Overworld next time he dies.

This setting is "false" by default. I'm not sure why you would ever want it "true" on a server unless you specifically want to prevent players from teleporting to space dimensions on your server (maybe you want to make it hard-mode for players so each one has to make his own rocket?)

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Galacticraft does not currently offer any way for admins to list all the space station names and their dimension numbers, the only way is to make a list manually by looking in the /world/data folder and opening up each spacestation#.dat file using a tool like NBTExplorer, to see its name and which player created it. (We should maybe add a command for server admins to do this ... added to my todo list.)

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
THIS! This is the page of information I needed to find! Thank you @radfast! now I can attempt to try to solve this stuff myself.

There is a Bukkit config option to keep the Galacticraft dimensions loaded all the time. To enable it, your bukkit.yml should contain something like this:

Note, like every .yml file, you must be super careful to use spaces and not TAB characters for your indents. But I guess all server admins know that :)

See there in lies my Primary problem, I have a blank yml config file because I haven't been able to figure out what all permissions i want my users to have, so for the moment everyone is an operator just so people can play. (Another reason I started a thread requesting a skilled bukkit admin to ask questions to.)
The task I am charged with today is to make this file and set static dimensions. Will let you know how things work out!

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
What page can we grab the very latest updated release of GC?I know it's on "Jenkins" but where exactly so I can book mark it?

I try to rely on the home page, but I have never managed to find the actual page to get higher versions. (I.E. GC 2.0.13.1063 is the current version listed on home page, which is what we have, but I have read that we should at least have 2.0.13.1068 or higher for the features we need and the clients and server need this bare minimum version to help fix everything we need because we are about to go onto BungeeCord and expand our servers.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
http://ci.micdoodle8.com/job/Galacticraft/changes

That will always have the latest, at the top of the page - it also summarises the changes so you can figure out whether it's worth the download or not (and also maybe avoid downloading something which is temporary or experimental - we do sometimes temporary things in the latest build for a brief period before something is fixed properly, or a fix for something breaks something else).

For the actual download, click the latest numbered version's link at the top of the 'Build History' list on the left hand side.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@EnderSpace that's not on topic. I will not go into further discussion with anyone on this thread about any lag issues in Galacticraft.

If anyone wants to report something lagging in Galacticraft, please start a new thread and please provide hard evidence, not just "the server feels a bit slower after I installed Galacticraft".

Very briefly, several tools exist for server owners to identify what exactly is causing lag.
1) There is a timings profiler built in to Bukkit (and a website aikar.co to decode the merged timings).
2) There is a mod called TickProfiler - not very accurate, but simple to use and it identifies the laggy chunks.
3) There is a separate Java program called warmroast which you run alongside Minecraft which gives super-accurate readings.
4) There are general Java CPU profilers.
Google the words I used here and you will find these tools, and websites and forum posts explaining how to use them. I will not answer questions about how to use these standard tools in any server admin's kit, or where to download them.

(Ezer'Arch or other mods, to keep this thread on its original topic - that's to say, space station dimensions on servers - please can I request that you delete / move any more off-topic posts after this.)

Reactions: MoltonMontro

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
Another relevant config setting:

Code:
  # By default, you will respawn on galacticraft dimensions if you die. If you set this to true, you will respawn back on earth.
  B:"Force Overworld Spawn"=false

If this is set to true, you might find that Bukkit teleportation (for example, /home) does not work to Galacticraft dimensions - to be honest I'm not sure and I'm not going to set up a Bukkit server just to test this, but maybe someone who has tested this can confirm.

Certainly, setting this to true will prevent players from setting their bed home on Galacticraft dimensions - or more accurately, they can put a bed down and sleep in it but it won't be the place they respawn at.

I can test this for you and report back sometime today or tomorrow. We have this exact setup so I will letcha know.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
(Ezer'Arch or other mods, to keep this thread on its original topic - that's to say, space station dimensions on servers - please can I request that you delete / move any more off-topic posts after this.)
Sure!

Additionally, I'm moving this thread to Support where I think it suits better, and pin it. If a server admin is having problem I believe they will look for help rather in the Support section than in General. You can ask to revert if you want.

EDIT:
An idea: the wiki could have some articles about configs, setups, servers and any technical info relevant for running the mod.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
In Galacticraft 3, the MicdoodleCore component does a basic version check at startup looking for problems such as mismatched MicdoodleCore and GalacticraftCore versions. The check is filename based, so it is not recommended to change the names of the .jars. The check throws up a dialog box if it finds anything wrong.

This dialog box can be a pain for server owners because you might be starting the server remotely on a host or automatically using McMyAdmin or something. You shouldn't see the dialog box if your versions are correct though.

But if you need to bypass the version check for any reason, just rename the MicdoodleCore jar to some name which does not have the letters "micdoodlecore" in it, and that will bypass it. "miccore" or "GalacticraftMiccore" would be fine names. We don't want every player doing this - so don't do it in modpacks or you will incur our wrath - but it's ok on a server for the reasons given.

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
In Galacticraft 3, the MicdoodleCore component does a basic version check at startup looking for problems such as mismatched MicdoodleCore and GalacticraftCore versions. The check is filename based, so it is not recommended to change the names of the .jars. The check throws up a dialog box if it finds anything wrong.

This dialog box can be a pain for server owners because you might be starting the server remotely on a host or automatically using McMyAdmin or something. You shouldn't see the dialog box if your versions are correct though.

But if you need to bypass the version check for any reason, just rename the MicdoodleCore jar to some name which does not have the letters "micdoodlecore" in it, and that will bypass it. "miccore" or "GalacticraftMiccore" would be fine names. We don't want every player doing this - so don't do it in modpacks or you will incur our wrath - but it's ok on a server for the reasons given.

Thanks for this, as we are moving to try out the BETA versions of GC on a 1.7.10 server system. (Which as I type, I am installing and getting going now.)

If I run into any immediate problems I will know what to fall back on first for troubleshooting, Thanks for all these great tips radfast, this is surely an admin's resting haven for GC related shtuffs.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
That's the idea! Always make sure to use the latest GC3 as we are going through rapid change. The latest should appear at the top of this list, click its number in the index on the left-hand side to get to the download.
http://ci.micdoodle8.com/job/Galacticraft-1.7/changes

The largest known issues currently:
* in GC3 BETA, there is not yet any way for a player to take a rocket to a space station made by another player - the only way to reach the other player's space station would be using teleporters from another mod or a /tpa command
* no Thermal Expansion support yet
* reported incompatibilities with Extra Utilities, Metallurgy and Pam's HarvestCraft
* it's hard to walk around, jump, and land on a Space Station (this is intended behaviour but there are some rough edges to sort out)

Mekanism support will likely be added later today or tomorrow.