Link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/588707758?t=08h15m50sEzerArch: Nice, Genny is playing our mod, Galacticraft.
GenerikB: Are you one of the devs of Galacticraft?
EzerArch: Not a codder, Galacticraft forum admin and other stuff.
GenerikB: Oh cool. Uhum, I'll tell ya, as much as I would love Galacticraft a little more. It's been around forever, right? It needs a facelift. I must say it...
EzerArch: 7 years.
GenerikB: The whole needle-in-the-haystack trying to find a dungeons and really it's like going to find the same needle-in-the-haystack dungeon just to get the things to make another spaceship to go in the next planet which is doesn't have much of any thing on it. I'm not doing a poop on it, okay? I'm not doing a poop on it at all. What I'm saying it's been on the block a while. Y'know, everything needs a good... like, a lot has changed in Minecraft in those 7 years, you know what I'm saying? Feels like it can do more. More things could be (...) Anyway yeah, I think it's still a great space mod. Man, it can stand over all. Just my opinion. That's a humble content creator modpack developer etc etc. (...) I think Galacticraft is pretty awesome. I'd love to see a revamp. The bosses are cool and all of that stuff. I just love to see a little bit more *deep soothing voice*.
EzerArch: no probs, feedbacks are welcome.
(another watcher): What your saying is it's not hard enough
GenerikB: No! ... uhum, I just wish there was more in it. You get to the moon and spent all your time making rockets getting to other parts. And then, you like "Welcome to the moon!". In the moon at least it has a couple of villages. After that, man, umm really? 'Cus like... The amount of effort versus what you get. Like, imagine Galacticraft with... stuff like... mixed with how they've done in Twilight Forest between lands with tons of different blocks, animals and plants and...
EzerArch: more environment content?
GenerikB: Yeah, more environment content, I think that would be really really cool. Like, I enjoyed the Asteroid though. I thought that was unique and cool like with those space stations inside the asteroids (...)
(there are more chatting afterwards)
Then in the following days, I found a few people codding new stuff for Galacticraft on the GC Discord Server, specially new worldgen features. How convenient!
So I'd like to propose a modest plan to tweak our current world generation to:
- add more scenic/environment content;
- address some issues (e.g. the dungeon hunt, assuming it is an issue)
- something else as bonus?
If there is something ready to use, it can be included in GC3 Minecraft 1.12.2. Anything more advanced or with greater impact can be included in GC4 Minecraft 1.15.2.
****NOTE: There is no guarantee they will be added because it depends on it will impact the mod and the availability of developers to review and integrate the new features. The more organized/clearer (both code-wise and concept-wise), the greater is the likelihood for Radfast and Micdoodle to approve them.
Current state: What each dimension features most
- Alien Villager
- Moon Dungeon + boss
- 1 biome
- Cheese Ore
- Mars Caves (+ sludge pools and poisonous vines)
- Mars Dungeon+ boss
- Slimeling (mob + eggs)
- 1 biome
- Desh Ore
- Acid Pocket + vapor spout
- Venus Dungeon
- Crashed probe
- 3 biomes
- Desh Ore
- Abandoned base
- Hollow Asteroid "hidden garden"
- Asteroid core
- Ilmenite Ore
What could be added/changed:
- 2 Biomes: Highland and Mare, instead of generic "moon".
- Abandoned Space Lander: a rare find on the surface, for loot.
- Alien Villagers (for 1.15?): add professions: astronomer, engineer etc.
- Dungeon Map: obtained by trading with an Astronomer Alien Village.
- Something else?
- 4 Biomes: Plains, Basin, Hills and Ice Cap
- Plains: normal terrain.
- Basin: dried-up ocean, low hight, with ice and sand/gravel deposits.
- Highland: tall mountains.
- Ice Cap: terrain covered with snow.
- New terrain features and structure:
- Monuments: structures lost in the landscape
- Dried rivers:
- New structure: Ghost Village
- Vapor spout should be able to lift the player.
- Something else? Venus is somewhat ok in features.
The discussion can take place here or on the Galacticraft Central Discord Server. This topic is mostly for documentation and to keep the track of discussions.