⚠ Important Galacticraft WorldGen Facelift

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
EzerArch: Nice, Genny is playing our mod, Galacticraft. :)

GenerikB: Are you one of the devs of Galacticraft?

EzerArch: Not a codder, Galacticraft forum admin and other stuff.

GenerikB: Oh cool. Uhum, I'll tell ya, as much as I would love Galacticraft a little more. It's been around forever, right? It needs a facelift. I must say it...

EzerArch: 7 years.

GenerikB: The whole needle-in-the-haystack trying to find a dungeons and really it's like going to find the same needle-in-the-haystack dungeon just to get the things to make another spaceship to go in the next planet which is doesn't have much of any thing on it. I'm not doing a poop on it, okay? I'm not doing a poop on it at all. What I'm saying it's been on the block a while. Y'know, everything needs a good... like, a lot has changed in Minecraft in those 7 years, you know what I'm saying? Feels like it can do more. More things could be (...) Anyway yeah, I think it's still a great space mod. Man, it can stand over all. Just my opinion. That's a humble content creator modpack developer etc etc. (...) I think Galacticraft is pretty awesome. I'd love to see a revamp. The bosses are cool and all of that stuff. I just love to see a little bit more *deep soothing voice*.

EzerArch: no probs, feedbacks are welcome.

(another watcher): What your saying is it's not hard enough

GenerikB: No! ... uhum, I just wish there was more in it. You get to the moon and spent all your time making rockets getting to other parts. And then, you like "Welcome to the moon!". In the moon at least it has a couple of villages. After that, man, umm really? 'Cus like... The amount of effort versus what you get. Like, imagine Galacticraft with... stuff like... mixed with how they've done in Twilight Forest between lands with tons of different blocks, animals and plants and...

EzerArch: more environment content?

GenerikB: Yeah, more environment content, I think that would be really really cool. Like, I enjoyed the Asteroid though. I thought that was unique and cool like with those space stations inside the asteroids (...)

(there are more chatting afterwards)
Link:

Then in the following days, I found a few people codding new stuff for Galacticraft on the GC Discord Server, specially new worldgen features. How convenient!

So I'd like to propose a modest plan to tweak our current world generation to:
  1. add more scenic/environment content;
  2. address some issues (e.g. the dungeon hunt, assuming it is an issue)
  3. something else as bonus?
Let's see what we have got, organize and what could be integrated/adapted in the mod.

If there is something ready to use, it can be included in GC3 Minecraft 1.12.2. Anything more advanced or with greater impact can be included in GC4 Minecraft 1.15.2.

****​
NOTE: There is no guarantee they will be added because it depends on it will impact the mod and the availability of developers to review and integrate the new features. The more organized/clearer (both code-wise and concept-wise), the greater is the likelihood for Radfast and Micdoodle to approve them.
****​

Current state: What each dimension features most

Moon

• Alien Villager
  • Moon Dungeon + boss
  • Meteors
  • 1 biome
  • Cheese Ore
Mars:
  • Mars Caves (+ sludge pools and poisonous vines)
  • Mars Dungeon+ boss
  • Slimeling (mob + eggs)
  • 1 biome
  • Desh Ore
Venus:
  • Acid Pocket + vapor spout
  • Venus Dungeon
  • Crashed probe
  • 3 biomes
  • Desh Ore
Asteroids:
  • Abandoned base
  • Hollow Asteroid "hidden garden"
  • Asteroid core
  • Ilmenite Ore

What could be added/changed:

Moon:

• 2 Biomes: Highland and Mare, instead of generic "moon".
    • Mare is a low height, plains biome with darker surface (basalt?) and other terrain features: wikipedia
    • Highland is a biome with hills : wikipedia
  • Abandoned Space Lander: a rare find on the surface, for loot.
  • Alien Villagers (for 1.15?): add professions: astronomer, engineer etc.
  • Dungeon Map: obtained by trading with an Astronomer Alien Village.
  • Something else?
Mars:
  • 4 Biomes: Plains, Basin, Hills and Ice Cap
    • Plains: normal terrain.
    • Basin: dried-up ocean, low hight, with ice and sand/gravel deposits.
    • Highland: tall mountains.
    • Ice Cap: terrain covered with snow.
  • New terrain features and structure:
    • Canyons
    • Canals
    • Monuments: structures lost in the landscape
    • Dried rivers:
      4Ia5kfcvXXSz22cdcNKI7eRZKMvU0hh3MBGx8y3h_Wo67yfZOU9NlpXZnxbFzd7ah8-z8-JOyA8g8AecH5GEZWbmV-rBOSPFHo3B1cQkigUHF3nV5h-v--HrQVfzO7mfg7WvNX8TDt75fxws_qQXSiLmaN30WczaH5HBpjIovfxfVecnKmpt_DNTvXod6Pmm1GjuPtZVVq7xGc2CDev-Qa4t3nvK1OWQsNl2P0a0j21PDZ5JGQMRkWalQBSxlBSqSjukWzVy0CjLmJ0wacoJxQYVUtO9PfgE5uMLRRzhOKLl_uc0acbICM3kSQv1yL_dSoVDz7tNNd9a93Tc7oJwatM2UTugUKnHTj9ncfvyYVuCvqJJhkf14-0h5MblJBsAOCD9YaQrwJ-jYaPbWR09q3A0lGBooWrUtT0go8BAo0CgD9OM0884w0AqktC-Xr08F6eDOvR4gvEGs0kjnkEVi8jm2bSz-afR1UCAIT5tLIhmN24tcpS6e0DBvU-MjziMLX-s8U1xCLg1Wd7A4bAbPVo9EzNbxWWNhVM0TxW2wgnuheheQCfOnu2wUm_oc5scRT53d4y_JIO_yya23jV71svCf7kKADiow4wMzEbYc37uf2pWvlSr7N6ssqLbb3u14kdLBoocEzM1pebc45Jk_tzTIMEbWwi1_35N_8aVD-V3moMcoj1DTBIkdmfPVsHE-RmtBqYkIEA5E3MuWlrpEOJMlbIcMkkFQoADa4CR1kBrq0gTSDUDbg=w1560-h878-no
      (illustrative image from my Mars Base)
  • New structure: Ghost Village
    • Backstory: a 3-headed-giant monster destroyed Mars civilization, leaving behind empty buildings, monuments and structures.
    • Contains: small huts, pyramid and The Creeper Face monument (in reference to Cydonia)
      SSBOpfOHM0GX10goZYwietsiE2gSLZh2XM8D410hFQaEw3Oh1g4eRYFSdeSDOhePYcuVlAKSTh20RArF4yDlAgQz3gBLo0B94LGk3R9-BWQtJRJaTLW6GAsyLpvH-Kd4SrkuurLgMqHsv2T-SDppm4HyFyL1eI5kOI51vtnf7xPwqMrs3fI1MkisA2uktb2WavTavHEJeCQI1nX_dE3socDyBiUIcnkgZcY50NiSvoxsqRm3DVV7OspwZXu3zogendLKnOCyCaHMWce-x6SqeK71_Vc3-H_MufH9lS39dFTv2d0rN3G8d17ZrpJsKe9uzi9PYzCJr4oL0ltAfuhbbfNKEl_lYZGU03RXQrg7M7k-Yhu1YCtJiEKkb_coDjicgjxk_sYzKjijLPD8Z5HvPZsB4bhIhASavsUAh4ZUcwfN56d5a4jO9SkdwKIgpH-impw3B7YXsitbTZF_fdPTGIucURN3Mwr1bVGaloJE70S7LVC63j5-Mc3J8jn5chocrJDTgxOl2t4rF6bW1miqhahWcUwC30Zy8QG8OvPqekG6d-NpVbohx0Ehom8uKND99sOlXgoUGt_K1-8qEEbb3xLN52CibkQuMjEcznd2YQ_L1G2ohSiqevxxD5U5kOxvmI4TfYvgmw64S0C3DqY58QWSHovLub4qPvb3R6kdY17xRHN-qwOogzzMWDRVcwGYcM5NKmcReUXXsee7pU9keDmW_A8rpbx6J-bRBpPeCvoC0k0j0OXZqQ=w1560-h878-no
      (illustrative image from my Mars Base)
Venus:
  • Vapor spout should be able to lift the player.
  • Something else? Venus is somewhat ok in features.
Asteroids:
(I didn't post the images from the Discord because I don't know if they want their screenshots here.)

Discussion

The discussion can take place here or on the Galacticraft Central Discord Server. This topic is mostly for documentation and to keep the track of discussions.

Last edited:

SebaSphere

Apr 21, 2017
Behind You
The changes of new worldgen options in terms of terrain do sound nice. One change I think could be welcome is a overall change on uniqueness of dungeons on each planets. I think it could be cool if dungeons had more variety in terms of rooms with twisting paths and decorations to make it interesting (something like a stronghold of sorts? I'd imagine a stronghold like moon dungeon would be a bit harder to code)

Maybe for example, in the room just leading up to a skeleton fight, there could be a redstone locked door (kind of like vanilla jungle temple redstone lock). ZMaybe a new mob or a few skeletons with the persistence tag could be just behind the boss room.

Just some ideas I have but if interested, I could probably give myself a go at a moon dungeon.

For structures in general, I think asking the discord in general would be useful to get contributors who would be willing to help build new structures for GC.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
For structures in general, I think asking the discord in general would be useful to get contributors who would be willing to help build new structures for GC.
I see there are some discussions rolling on Discord already. Just I think discussions tend to be buried in the chat.

I'll post some wgen screenshots later (if nobody objects --- at least @vos said I could).

EDIT:
It's official. They've found us:

SPOILER_unknown.png

Last edited:

AllyJamy

Sep 5, 2018
Hey, I had a bunch of ideas for the Mars terrain.

Mars plains: flat ish land with the small ish rocks strew around and the occasional crater
Martian plateau: large elevated area of land that gently slopes upward and covers a large area of elevation
Martian canyon: Canyons that can be can be very tall or wide that come out of the
Martian plateaus in some places martian hills: Slightly elevated terrain with lots of big and small craters and gentle hills
Martian Basin: Essentially a very large crater that would be in the martian hills biome
Martian river channel: essentially an equivalent to the river biome on earth. A dry river channel that can be very wide and flows out from plateaus and Martian hills
Basalt plains, essentially martian plains except a lot of the terrain and rocks would be black basalt
Martian ice caps: Snowy and hilly terrain with bits of bendy canyons inbetween.

I also conceptualised them: https://imgur.com/a/diw6CrV (24 pics)

AN6NriW.png

Martian volcano

lI0EJKO.png

Martian canyon

dzRmtHW.png

Martian hills

mbngD0H.png

Martian hills

9eMM143.png

Martian basin (large crater)

SiFr1AK.png

Basalt plains

RhG9fBz.png

Martian canyon (plateau on either side)

SCXYftB.png

Martian ice caps

M2YL9fe.png

Dry River channel

CGTrjev.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Hey @AllyJamy thanks for posting your screenshots from the Discord Server. The terrains are impressive!

I took the liberty of adding a few screenshots from your image album in your post for illustration. I hope you don't mind.

My comments:

1 - The Basalt Plains is a bit too noisy. What if the basalt parts were larger patches with small bits of surface blocks? Or perhaps leaving some large surfaces of exposed rock/basalt (like I did here or here on the lower right) could be less noisy or add variety since the whole Mars surface is covered with the same surface rock.

2 - What if we added Red Sand and Gravel in small patches where could be sediment deposits (following Venus deposits). Not sure about the Gravel since it's gray and can stand out too much.

I'm no minecraft modder myself, so I don't know how this would be implemented. But hope you'll consider!
Now you are.

Last edited:

C.L.

Jul 4, 2016
I'd love to see new biomes and terrain in galacticraft! Here are some other changes I'd like to see: The Mars and Venus atmospheres could use some tweaking. Sunrises/sunsets on Mars should be a cyan color. On Venus, the sun should rise in the west and set in the east, and the sunrise/sunset color should be blue.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Livestream "Let's talk about Galacticraft ideas and etc"

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/603536509 the Galacticraft talk starts at 17:45 (link). The sound isn't that great, either are my speaking skills, but I'm getting better at it. :) Most of the talking was improvised.

There's a moment I fall in a hole with my horse, you can skip 10 minutes. XD

Last edited:
Reactions: vlad_2030

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Pakratt on Galacticraft: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/603916970?t=03h23m30s

There's a thing that should be changed: the rocket schematic chance after beating the boss, sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't and then you have to look for another dungeon and fight the boss again and take risk of not getting the schematic and so on. You should not depend on luck to advance to the next tier.

The rocket schematic chance should be 100% at least for the 1st boss fight in each dim. If you beat the boss you ought to be rewarded with the schematic for the next rocket/tier.

Last edited: