Gas Mining of Planets

Apr 3, 2015
An idea for the mod could be that if you build a space station or a satellite above a planet, you can mine for gases.
Such an idea could be.
Venus: you can mine sulfuric acid, which could be used to make and power battery's.
earth: collecting oxygen and nitrogen for supporting life and for ionic fuel.
Mars:This technically wouldn't be a gas but, harvesting radiation above mars, which could be used to generate power, and be compatible with mine chem to change elements.
Jupiter: mining for hydrogen to use as fuel and power generation, and mining for vaporized metals, which could be put into a gas compressor to turn it into a metal dust.
Saturn: same thing as Jupiter except you yield less gas, but you can mine the rings.
Uranus and Neptune: you can mine for nitrogen and methane in the largest abundance, to be used as rocket fuel and nitrogen for a ionic fuel, which would be a fuel consumed to travel to other solar systems.

Apr 3, 2015
There is more pressure on the planet than in the vacuum of space. so a vacuum block or item would not be required.

Apr 3, 2015
Another idea I had is that you can use a oxygen collector on a planet to harvest gases, and in space, you can use it to harvest radiation. In addition, to refine the gases, you could use a gas centrifuge, which, when provided with power, starts spinning and refines the gas, Which you can take the gas to a gas liqiufier, which will produce a liquid version to be used as a fuel, for electricity, or sent to a liquid solidifier, to make gas to be used for crafting or being smelted to produce metal.

Sorry for any bad grammar though, it was really long and spell correcter was driving me crazy.:mad:

Mar 8, 2015
Yes I think that could work, but the problem is the oxygen collector collects oxygen, the only way for it to work is to modify the oxygen collector functioning or make a new gas collector, and also you need to have a way to harvest gases.

Apr 3, 2015
Good idea. But a idea is if there is a gas collector block that can be crafted or a item that makes a oxygen collector collect a set gas.
Also thanks, didn't realize it.:p

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
Gas harvesting would be a very good idea. I think it should only be for the gas giants, as it would give them a purpose and the terrestrial planets can actually be landed on and mined for gasses there

Codym2405

Mar 3, 2015
Australia
When you attempt to 'land' on Jupiter, it should prompt you to spend resources (Like when making a space station) to land on the planet. When you land, you spawn on some kind of floating ship, which floats on Jupiter's gases via some new mechanism (gravitational rotation, rockets ect). You can upgrade it to have a gas liquefier to liquify atmospheric gases for use (Hydrogen, Hydrogen compounds and Helium) and then use them for whatever you want.