GC with Tekkit Main / Big Dig / Voltz crashing due to parachests.

Zilacon

Aug 26, 2013
Hello i am the owner of APOC Gaming we run 7 servers and 3 of them are technic modpacks that have Galacticraft installed.

On all 3 servers despite being the latest update on technic on all of them have the same problem.

Whenever a parachest falls from the sky it practically crashes the server whenever anyone gets near it. And will continue to crash it until the region file is deleted or the mod is removed and the chest is purged from the server.

Here is my crash log: http://pastie.org/8272830

If there is a way to turn off parachests all together please tell me that would solve all my problems.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
If you're running technic, I'm assuming they haven't moved past 1.5.2. If this is true we haven't seen any love for Galacticraft past GC version 410. I'm not sure what MicDoodle plans to do about old minecraft.

Zilacon

Aug 26, 2013
If you're running technic, I'm assuming they haven't moved past 1.5.2. If this is true we haven't seen any love for Galacticraft past GC version 410. I'm not sure what MicDoodle plans to do about old minecraft.
Even so if there is just some way to stop parachests that would solve everything.
Cause in some configurations you can set the ID to 0 and it will not load the item into the server or use it.

Zilacon

Aug 26, 2013
Gotcha looking for a workaround. Have you looked into the config file?
I have, and there is no option to disable them, or even disable the space stations or the moon, should be options for this.
I even tried setting the ID to 0 and -## because some configs work with this and disable that item if you do that, it just causes a server crash when i do that.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
I think this is going to require MicDoodle's help. I mainly help people follow directions, or undocumented info in the config.

Nov 3, 2013
Did anyone ever find a work around for this? I am running into a similar issue. I applied a patch that stopped the parachests from crashing the server however it results in players near the location to crash still. Is there a way to somehow remove parachests without using mcedit? Running the latest Tekkit pack on a CentOS box, was hoping there may be a way to change a setting and reboot rather then pull it down and edit the maps or worse, delete the map.

Zilacon

Aug 26, 2013
Did anyone ever find a work around for this? I am running into a similar issue. I applied a patch that stopped the parachests from crashing the server however it results in players near the location to crash still. Is there a way to somehow remove parachests without using mcedit? Running the latest Tekkit pack on a CentOS box, was hoping there may be a way to change a setting and reboot rather then pull it down and edit the maps or worse, delete the map.

I would love to have your patch because the server crashing is my primary concern. And no, no one has found a way to fix this thus far and technic does not seem to care at all about this problem because they are releasing updates for Tekkit Main but not fixing this issue.

Also the only way to get rid of the parachests is to teleport to the coordinates where the chest is at, stop the server, remove GC from your mods, restart the server, the server will then remove any items associated with GC when you login and load the chunks, then just put the mod back in and restart the server. I do this while in WhiteListed mode and set the WhiteList message to "Server is doing maintenance come back in 15 minutes" so people don't throw a fit about them not being able to get on. I tried it without changing the whitelist message and a lot of people quit thinking the server turned into a whitelist only server. My god people have no patience.

Nov 3, 2013
I would love to have your patch because the server crashing is my primary concern. And no, no one has found a way to fix this thus far and technic does not seem to care at all about this problem because they are releasing updates for Tekkit Main but not fixing this issue.

Also the only way to get rid of the parachests is to teleport to the coordinates where the chest is at, stop the server, remove GC from your mods, restart the server, the server will then remove any items associated with GC when you login and load the chunks, then just put the mod back in and restart the server. I do this while in WhiteListed mode and set the WhiteList message to "Server is doing maintenance come back in 15 minutes" so people don't throw a fit about them not being able to get on. I tried it without changing the whitelist message and a lot of people quit thinking the server turned into a whitelist only server. My god people have no patience.
Yeah no problem. The directions are in the link but you just replace your existing Galacticraft 1.5.2 with the patched version. Link:http://minemod.org/index.php?threads/smp3-maintenance-complete.1434/

If I remove the mod and do a reboot (the method you explained) will they existing players lose any data tied to Galacticraft?

Zilacon

Aug 26, 2013
Yeah no problem. The directions are in the link but you just replace your existing Galacticraft 1.5.2 with the patched version. Link:http://minemod.org/index.php?threads/smp3-maintenance-complete.1434/

If I remove the mod and do a reboot (the method you explained) will they existing players lose any data tied to Galacticraft?
A server only loads chunks when a player goes into them, when a chunk loads it checks to see whether the items in that chunk have support on a plugin or mods. When the check fails for an item in the chunk that is loaded for a mod it removes it.
So it will remove ALL items in that chunk with GC.

As for players their space stations & the moon & their inventories (or the items from GC in the inventories/backpacks/me systems/etc) will not be effected as long as they do not login.
This is why its a good idea to put it in Whitelist mode to not get bombarded with people yelling MY STUFF IS ALL GONE!

Nov 3, 2013
A server only loads chunks when a player goes into them, when a chunk loads it checks to see whether the items in that chunk have support on a plugin or mods. When the check fails for an item in the chunk that is loaded for a mod it removes it.
So it will remove ALL items in that chunk with GC.

As for players their space stations & the moon & their inventories (or the items from GC in the inventories/backpacks/me systems/etc) will not be effected as long as they do not login.
This is why its a good idea to put it in Whitelist mode to not get bombarded with people yelling MY STUFF IS ALL GONE!
That works for me. I have ran Tekkit and Vanilla for 2 years now and have been completely private/white listed the entire time. That is not an issue.

But to be clear, a player is required to be present? Meaning I should have the affected player run near the parachest area to cause a crash - then stop the server, remove the mod, reboot, have the same player log in to remove the entity, then stop again to add the mod, then do a reboot?

Zilacon

Aug 26, 2013
That works for me. I have ran Tekkit and Vanilla for 2 years now and have been completely private/white listed the entire time. That is not an issue.

But to be clear, a player is required to be present? Meaning I should have the affected player run near the parachest area to cause a crash - then stop the server, remove the mod, reboot, have the same player log in to remove the entity, then stop again to add the mod, then do a reboot?
Is there some reason you cant do this yourself?

Zilacon

Aug 26, 2013
I am not a player really, I log in very minimal and don't always have access to log in. I always have terminal access to my server however.
Whole point of the method i told you about was for you to do it.
I dont think most players would agree to you deleting all their hard work because of a parachest.

Nov 3, 2013
Whole point of the method i told you about was for you to do it.
I dont think most players would agree to you deleting all their hard work because of a parachest.
Well what else can I do? I have a parachest implanted on a main building of a player on the main world, he can't access anything from 200m out at the moment.

Zilacon

Aug 26, 2013
If it means I can debug a zone, I'll do that and respawn lost items afterwards if it means I can save the location.
Only way to fix it is the way i just told you.
I have tried everything and thats the only way to do it.

but then again I am one who goes on his servers and fixes things, not ask the players to fix it for me.

Nov 3, 2013
I hear you. I run this server for free to a private group of players, roughly 20 now. The one I run it mainly (old childhood friend) for works with me in these situations so its not extremely frowned upon. Its a smooth operation.

Regardless, I worked with the affected played and I am up and running again. I used your method just with the player entering the area with the chest while the mod was removed. Not big deal. Worked perfectly. I will advise my players to beware this until a update is out with Tekkit.

Last edited: