Grapple changes (string and auto-release)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ezer'Arch, May 21, 2017.

1. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

I propose the following changes for the grapple:

1) String consumption:
    • String no longer consumed at every missed shot/throw, nor will it be necessary for the 1st throw. It's not like the line is lost but you can still retrieve the hook when you miss a throw (???). BTW, the string is part of the recipe already, therefore...
    • Strings are used to repair the grapple.
    • Infinity enchantment no longer needed.
    2) Controllable release:
    • The hook no longer automatically releases when the player reaches the hook. The purpose is to give the player a time to look around for the next throw.
    • The hook release can follow one of the below:
      • Option 1 (speedy): always auto-releases when the player is "reeled" in or if he throws the hook mid-way. Press jump or sneak to cancel the auto-release.
      • Option 2 (more control): only releases if the player presses jump or sneak.
    3) (Advanced feature) Controllable reeling:
    • This can be some sort of "Tier 2 Grapple". Separate item as a tether?
    • It won't reel in by default. Press jump to reel in; press sneak to reel out. Stop if neither is being held down.
    • Pressing jump until done reeling in will release the hook.

#1 Ezer'Arch, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    SnailsAttack likes this.
  2. pra

pra Member

1) Makes sense, I agree. Maybe add an "string spool" item as an intermediate crafting ingredient if having the grapple just one string seems too few.
    2) I don't get it...
    3) You mean, like, you stand on the edge of a cliff, shoot the grapple into the floor, fall off the edge, and then carefully reel out to let yourself down?

3. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

My idea there is that I don't want to be required to carry a string in my inventory anymore. The string is part of the item already. A string would be necessary only in the anvil to repair the grapple.

I want to avoid the following:
    1. you throw the grapple;
    2. the grapple hits a sold block, then it starts reeling in.
    3. when you reach the hook, it releases automatically.
    4. "OMG, I'm falling to death!!!"
    I want the hook to release only if I command it.

Yes. And more than that.

Gas giant space station is a planned feature. How could you go down and up to build something without plunging into the planet?

#3 Ezer'Arch, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. pra

pra Member

Ah, now I get it. You are right.

And, I didn't meant that you should carry the spool with you. I meant: if the developers consider that just the one string in the recipe isn't enough string (logically, how long can such a string be?), they could change the grapple's recipe so that it requires a spool as crafting ingredient. Which is in turn crafted from several pieces of string. No mechanics-relevant change, just fluff^^

5. Srsam

Srsam Member

I like the idea. I never used the grapple because it needed sooooo much string to use.