Grapple changes (string and auto-release)

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I propose the following changes for the grapple:

1) String consumption:
  • String no longer consumed at every missed shot/throw, nor will it be necessary for the 1st throw. It's not like the line is lost but you can still retrieve the hook when you miss a throw (???). BTW, the string is part of the recipe already, therefore...
  • Strings are used to repair the grapple.
  • Infinity enchantment no longer needed.
2) Controllable release:
  • The hook no longer automatically releases when the player reaches the hook. The purpose is to give the player a time to look around for the next throw.
  • The hook release can follow one of the below:
    • Option 1 (speedy): always auto-releases when the player is "reeled" in or if he throws the hook mid-way. Press jump or sneak to cancel the auto-release.
    • Option 2 (more control): only releases if the player presses jump or sneak.
3) (Advanced feature) Controllable reeling:
  • This can be some sort of "Tier 2 Grapple". Separate item as a tether?
  • It won't reel in by default. Press jump to reel in; press sneak to reel out. Stop if neither is being held down.
  • Pressing jump until done reeling in will release the hook.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnailsAttack

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
1) Makes sense, I agree. Maybe add an "string spool" item as an intermediate crafting ingredient if having the grapple just one string seems too few.
2) I don't get it...
3) You mean, like, you stand on the edge of a cliff, shoot the grapple into the floor, fall off the edge, and then carefully reel out to let yourself down?

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
1) Makes sense, I agree. Maybe add an "string spool" item as an intermediate crafting ingredient if having the grapple just one string seems too few.
My idea there is that I don't want to be required to carry a string in my inventory anymore. The string is part of the item already. A string would be necessary only in the anvil to repair the grapple.

2) I don't get it...
I want to avoid the following:
  1. you throw the grapple;
  2. the grapple hits a sold block, then it starts reeling in.
  3. when you reach the hook, it releases automatically.
  4. "OMG, I'm falling to death!!!"
I want the hook to release only if I command it.

3) You mean, like, you stand on the edge of a cliff, shoot the grapple into the floor, fall off the edge, and then carefully reel out to let yourself down?
Yes. And more than that.

Gas giant space station is a planned feature. How could you go down and up to build something without plunging into the planet?

Last edited:

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Ah, now I get it. You are right.

And, I didn't meant that you should carry the spool with you. I meant: if the developers consider that just the one string in the recipe isn't enough string (logically, how long can such a string be?), they could change the grapple's recipe so that it requires a spool as crafting ingredient. Which is in turn crafted from several pieces of string. No mechanics-relevant change, just fluff^^

Srsam

May 19, 2017
I like the idea. I never used the grapple because it needed sooooo much string to use.