Heat meter for cold and hot planets

How do you rate this idea?

• I hate it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
Basically, a heat meter would indicate how cold or hot your avatar's body is, and therefore how close you are to dying. A heat meter would make the game more realistic by forcing you to bring a means of keeping your body at a stable temperature along with you on a planet. The means of keeping your body at a reasonable temperature, for example, could be an astronaut's suit.

The heat meter would add the element of temperature in space and on planets to the game too. Like my other ideas, this is just a skeleton for Micdoodle to tweak if he ever considers it.

Thanks, Android994

SpwnX

May 11, 2014
Adding some ideas: Spacesuits would be required for any dimension on "outer space", otherwise you will take damage and die within seconds. Spacesuits would be charged and its depletion rate would depend on the outer temperature and radiation levela with those being based on planet atmosphere and time of day.
For example mars has a dense atmosphere of CO2 , enough to keep the planet warm enough, but the lack of ozone makes it have a high radiation level.

Note: suits are not required inside sealed areas, however the sealers will require an additional machine (and more energy) to keep the sealed area temperature stable.

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
Adding some ideas: Spacesuits would be required for any dimension on "outer space", otherwise you will take damage and die within seconds. Spacesuits would be charged and its depletion rate would depend on the outer temperature and radiation levela with those being based on planet atmosphere and time of day.
For example mars has a dense atmosphere of CO2 , enough to keep the planet warm enough, but the lack of ozone makes it have a high radiation level.

Note: suits are not required inside sealed areas, however the sealers will require an additional machine (and more energy) to keep the sealed area temperature stable.
Great idea, but it has been proposed before. I am also not sure if my own idea has been proposed of before, but I definitely will be adding your suggestion to my own idea, because there is a way to "redeem" a suggestion if it has been asked to be implemented before by adding variety to it.

May 17, 2014
space suit has been suggested ;) also whe dont need an tempature meter we already know the temperatures :p micdoodles decision tough.

SpwnX

May 11, 2014
The temperature meter would detect temperature changes during day-night cycle or during special events [like falling in lava or in "frozen" water].

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
The actual purpose of the idea is to indicate the temperature of your avatar, not the planet. If the meter began to rise, you would have a pretty good idea that you were on a hot planet, and if it dropped, vise versa.

SpwnX

May 11, 2014
I prefer external temperature and the higher the difference, the more energy the suit would use to maintain a stable temperature. You would die in a few seconds if you were unable to cool/heat yourself on extreme temperature differences so it doesn't matter the body temperature.

Reactions: obsidianpower790

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Why not have two thermometer displays right next to each other? They could even be displayed on the same single meter assembly, just with two different readings: one for external temp (planet/atmosphere) and one for internal (personal/suit).

Somethings possibly similar to one of the pictures below. I think a HUD version would be cleaner though.

DS18S20_Temperature_Meter_Kit.jpg spa_dg210.jpg

Reactions: Andrew Maher

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Good idea but there is moon , Mars only and soon new watery dimension.
I think it should be added when there's more than 5 dimensions

It is only likely to be a watery dimension next. It hasn't officially been confirmed that I'm aware of, although I do believe it is most likely since that is the only characteristic I've seen Micdoodle8 mention about any upcoming dimension.

Even if the "watery body" is confirmed there is a good chance it will be Europa...which is covered in ice. Sounds to me like a great place to use a thermometer if a temperature mechanic was added.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
I made a texture for what it could look like, for some reason I made it out of emeralds. o_O Thermometer.png
It would obviously have to be larger than a 16x16 to show any numbers on it.

EDIT : Down the middle you may see a darker line to separate the 2 temperatures.

Last edited:

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
Why not have two thermometer displays right next to each other? They could even be displayed on the same single meter assembly, just with two different readings: one for external temp (planet/atmosphere) and one for internal (personal/suit).

Somethings possibly similar to one of the pictures below. I think a HUD version would be cleaner though.

View attachment 1220 View attachment 1221
Or instead of that, it could be two vertical bars next to each other like the current oxygen tank bar.

Andrew Maher

Jan 12, 2014
The temperature meter would detect temperature changes during day-night cycle or during special events [like falling in lava or in "frozen" water].
It's purpose it to also tell you just how hot or cold a planet is, but I've already said that. The temperature bar would sensibly increase if you fell in lava, too.