How stable is 2.0.14 ?

icmp_request

Dec 10, 2013
Hello! :)

I am planning on doing another long survival mode single player game.

I've noticed the last version for 1.6.4 is 2.0.14

Now there's a 3.x Beta.

Knowing that I prefer stability (the less bugs the better) over new features, is it correct to say that 2.0.14 is the safest version for me to try? Or is the 3.x Beta currently more stable, even being a Beta? Or maybe another version is even more stable than 2.0.14?

Thanks

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
The answer to that really depends which other mods you plan on using it with. Don't be put off by the "beta" tag, neither version is "scary" to use, it's not going to crash on you the whole time or corrupt your world.

GC2.0.14 latest version (2.0.14.1094) is pretty stable. There are some known incompatible mods which are listed in a sticky in the Support area of this forum. There are also some known bugs in it, maybe 20 or 30 total, which have been fixed in GC3 but left in GC2 because each one is small and not game-breaking. The worst of them is probably that if the player uses a Schematic in a NASA workbench, and then the player dies, you might find that the NASA workbench "forgets" some of the Schematics it once knew - so it's best not to put your Tier 2 Rocket Schematic into the workbench until you have the materials to make the T2 rocket.

GC3, even in beta, is more stable than GC2 for all the things which GC2 can do (because those bugs in GC2, including the Schematics one, are fixed). But some of the new features in GC3 still have kinks, and there are a few visual bugs mostly minor. One big issue is that players can't visit other player's space stations in GC3 yet. This should give you some idea https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/791.

If you're making a modpack, GC3 may have undiscovered issues with the 1.7.10 versions of some other mods, that is something still being worked out and you would need to figure for yourself the best mods to use or look around and see which mods other players have working stable with GC3.

Most importantly, if bugs or mod incompatibilities are found in GC3, we will be fixing them, though it may take us a few days or weeks to do. So if you're planning on playing your world for a long time, like 1 month +, I would pick GC3.

icmp_request

Dec 10, 2013
Thanks radfast for the reply! :)

I understand what you said. I was considering the risk of new game breaking features on GC3.

I won't use any mods besides GC3, at least for now.

Is it safe to upgrade from versions on a regular basis? Or may it break some of the game mechanics?

My main concern is that I wish to have my Earth protected. If some changes may break some things I've done on the Moon, Space Station, etc. and I have to do all over again that's not a problem. But I wouldn't like to see anything that I've done (buildings, etc.) on Earth breaking because of bugs and updates. Don't know if that has happened yet or if it's just GC3 related stuff that may eventually break.

But if you say that GC3 is stable enough, I believe I will follow your advice and use it instead of GC2.

Thanks a lot!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
We will never release an update which breaks existing blocks or machines.

There may be small changes to things - for example we changed the thruster recipe in GC3 - but normally updates are for fixing bugs or adding new features.

Updates will always preserve your world - you can even make a world in GC2 and update it to GC3 and everything will still be there.

icmp_request

Dec 10, 2013
But while adding new features, anything that is under heavy development couldn't - of course not intentionally - break some things that already exists and work well before this new feature?

Sorry for not being clear enough but I believe that was my original point on the topic.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
It's a fair question. I understand that - like most people - you just want to be able to play the game and relax without worrying about what might be broken or what the developers might be changing.

I think the forum gives the impression that more is / might be broken than actually is, because obviously this is where people come if something is not working, and this is also where people come who want to be part of the cutting-edge versions of Galacticraft or make suggestions.

micdoodle8 & I are aware that most people just want to play, and that people hate it when stuff which was working, breaks.

We would never intentionally break something in the development process (or if we did, we would signpost it as 'experimental' so that players who don't want it know to avoid it). However, stuff happens by accident. If there's ever a problem like that, you can always either roll-back to the previous version of Galacticraft, or you can be sure that we will be working quickly on a solution.

I would say that right now GC3 Beta is totally playable and stable in single-player Survival, if you are not using other mods. All the significant issues I'm aware of in GC3 either involve other mods, or multiplayer, and those are being fixed every day so that I would expect we'll be out of beta in 1 or 2 weeks.

My recommendation is use GC3 2.0.2.189, and be willing to download a new version of GC maybe once every two weeks which will give you small improvements each time.

icmp_request

Dec 10, 2013
Thanks for the answer!

I didn't find this version. Only 1.7-3.0.1.170 (using currently) and 1.7-3.0.2.190. Where can I find all the downloads?

I believe it should be a two way road. Developers should add new features that cannot be guaranteed to be stable and the players should test them and help reporting bugs.

At the same time, the "basics" should not be broken or anything should be fixed without the need of starting a new game.

Seems you think the same way so I'm fine now using more cutting-edge versions of GC3.

Thanks again! :)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
After I wrote my last post, GC3 was updated from 3.0.2.189 to 3.0.2.190. You should use 3.0.2.190, it's better.

The latest will always be the red one at the top of the Downloads page that you have found.

If you want to know what is different between versions, the Downloads page has a link to the Changelog.