How to make an airlock

MrabEzreb

Nov 9, 2013
First, airlock frames will not respond to red-stone current, thus you need an airlock controller to use an airlock.
Second, airlock controllers must either be in the frame: F F C F, or inside the space inside the frames:
F F F F
F . . . F
F C . . F
F F F F
for it too work.
Third, PLEASE GET THIS OUT TO THE WORLD!

MrabEzreb

Nov 9, 2013
The air lock controller is supposed to be a part of the frame. I believe it is required for an air lock to work in updated versions.
Right, but I couldnt figure it out and there was NOTHING! There was NOTHING ON THE INTERNET! It seems like the wiki should at least say it!

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Sure thing! I might not be an expert or anything, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can help clean up and update the wiki. It can be confusing sometimes and the layout isn't very consistent. I just want to help people and I figure trying to eliminate confusion is a good place to start.

Reactions: Ulv77

MrabEzreb

Nov 9, 2013
Sure thing! I might not be an expert or anything, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can help clean up and update the wiki. It can be confusing sometimes and the layout isn't very consistent. I just want to help people and I figure trying to eliminate confusion is a good place to start.
good, you could possibly do something about the fact that there is NOTHING besides a mod reveiw for CrossBow Mod 2? At least some recipies should be on there I think.

Reactions: Ulv77

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
First, airlock frames will not respond to red-stone current, thus you need an airlock controller to use an airlock.
Second, airlock controllers must either be in the frame: F F C F, or inside the space inside the frames:
F F F F
F . . . F
F C . . F
F F F F
for it too work.
Third, PLEASE GET THIS OUT TO THE WORLD!

The airlock controler has a REDSTONE option so i think that enables the redstone..

MrabEzreb

Nov 9, 2013
The airlock controler has a REDSTONE option so i think that enables the redstone..
hahaha, you see, the air lock FRAMES do not respond to redstone. the air lock controller does, but it only works in the configurations mentioned.

Galbi3000

Oct 31, 2013
I had no trouble setting up my first airlock after the controller block was added. I even use Project: Red wires and a ComputerCraft computer to control the whole airlock!

My airlocks are configured as:

_FFF_
F___F
F___F
F___F
_FFC_

The controller is in the bottom part of the frame so it's hidden 'in' the floor. The controller block is configured to accept redstone signals. The Project: Red wires connect to it from the underside and lead to a side of the computer. The other side of the computer leads to the other airlock door. A 3rd side of the computer accepts button input from 3 buttons (1 inside the airlock and the other 2 outside beside the doors). The computer has a startup program that cycles the airlock when a button has been pressed. It closes the currently open door, waits a second then opens the other door. Avoids possible problems with air sealing. It does also control Project: Red lights to indicate the airlock is in use! :) (I just wish the Project: Red bundled cables worked with ComputerCraft, would have been easier! :D)

Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Nice
I had no trouble setting up my first airlock after the controller block was added. I even use Project: Red wires and a ComputerCraft computer to control the whole airlock!

_FFF_
F___F
F___F
F___F
_FFC_

The controller is in the bottom part of the frame so it's hidden 'in' the floor. The controller block is configured to accept redstone signals. The Project: Red wires connect to it from the underside and lead to a side of the computer. The other side of the computer leads to the other airlock door. A 3rd side of the computer accepts button input from 3 buttons (1 inside the airlock and the other 2 outside beside the doors). The computer has a startup program that cycles the airlock when a button has been pressed. It closes the currently open door, waits a second then opens the other door. Avoids possible problems with air sealing. It does also control Project: Red lights to indicate the airlock is in use! :) (I just wish the Project: Red bundled cables worked with ComputerCraft, would have been easier! :D)

Nice! Sounds like a setup I would want to use.

MrabEzreb

Nov 9, 2013

_FFF_
F___F
F___F
F___F
_FFC_

Exactly. the controller must replace a frame block. However it would also work to have a normal frame but place the controller inside of the airlock where the sealing blocks go. Like this:

_FFF_
F___F
F___F
FC__F
_FFF_

Or anywhere in the middle. See what I mean?

Galbi3000

Oct 31, 2013
I don't know what Project: Red is but it sounds a LOT like RedPower 2. RP2 bundled cables DO work with computercraft.

Yes, RedPower 2 does work with ComputerCraft however RedPower 2 has not been updated since MC 1.4.7 :( Project: Red is a replacement for RedPower 2 for 1.6.2+. It has all the logic devices and wires of RedPower 2 as well as the volcanoes (which are configurable in the config to reduce frequency, unlike with RedPower 2) plus it has the lights, with a few more styles of lights to boot. The only things missing are the frames and the machines to move the frames. Project: Red is still work in progress though but it works well as a PR2 replacement :)

Galbi3000

Oct 31, 2013
Exactly. the controller must replace a frame block. However it would also work to have a normal frame but place the controller inside of the airlock where the sealing blocks go. Like this:

_FFF_
F___F
F___F
FC__F
_FFF_

Or anywhere in the middle. See what I mean?

I can not see why you would want to place the controller in the middle like that, it just does not look right. Looks like a deliberate obstruction of the doorway :p Putting it in the frame keeps the doorway nice and neat :) Also, putting the controller in the middle makes it harder to control it with redstone. I have not tested it and it might not work this way but another way that would look ok is:

_FFF_
F___F
F___FC
F___F
_FFF_

Galbi3000

Oct 31, 2013
Nice

Nice! Sounds like a setup I would want to use.

As an ex programmer, I love using ComputerCraft :) In the past I have used a ComputerCraft computer to control a hidden stairs secret entrance system. I created my own version of stairs that open up in the floor using vanilla redstone circuits then when I started using RedPower 2 I refined the system to use wires and RP2 logic to make the circuit smaller. Then I discovered ComputerCraft which created the smallest circuit for the stairs and makes the stairs open/close the fastest :) So it was a natural choice to use it to control the airlock ;)

Now I just need the oxygen sealers to work again! :p

MrabEzreb

Nov 9, 2013
I can not see why you would want to place the controller in the middle like that, it just does not look right. Looks like a deliberate obstruction of the doorway :p Putting it in the frame keeps the doorway nice and neat :) Also, putting the controller in the middle makes it harder to control it with redstone. I have not tested it and it might not work this way but another way that would look ok is:

_FFF_
F___F
F___FC
F___F
_FFF_
um... I have a video to show you. (It's mine)

Galbi3000

Oct 31, 2013
What I meant was I do not understand why you would want to place the controller like that. You can still place the other items either side when it's in the frame.

I'll see what I can do for you, as a video, to use one computer controlling 2 doors using vanilla redstone circuits. Might also be of interest to others reading this :)

Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Galbi3000

Oct 31, 2013
Ok, here is my video of me creating a computer controlled airlock using just Galacticraft and ComputerCraft. The block layout looks a bit messy round the computer but that is needed to keep the 3 redstone dust trails separated. There might be a place or 2 that can be refined a little but this is the simplest circuit I could come up with on short notice :) It is much neater using Project: Red insulated wires :)
The system can be sealed completely but I left it open for the sake of the video. The doors can be larger or smaller depending on your needs but for the circuit to have room it needs the doors to be at least 5 blocks between them. The computer is hidden away behind the wall so that the redstone has access to 3 sides without compromising the seal. This can prevent tampering with the computer once it is sealed away from sight :)

Here is the video:

I used an advanced computer in the video to allow it to colorize the program code syntax to make it easier to see but it does work fine with a standard computer too :)
In case you have trouble copying the computer program from the video (I typed it in the video as it is short and easy) here it is:

redstone.setOutput("left", true)
redstone.setOutput("right", false)

while true do

sleep(0.1)

if redstone.getInput("back") then

if redstone.getOutput("left") then
redstone.setOutput("right", true)
sleep(1)
redstone.setOutput("left", false)
else
redstone.setOutput("left", true)
sleep(1)
redstone.setOutput("right", false)
end
end
end

The program needs to be named startup so it will run automatically whenever the virtual computer reloads into memory.
The 1st 2 lines initialize the state of the doors.
The program then enters a never ending loop with the while command.
The sleep(0.1) adds a short wait of 0.1 seconds to prevent the lua system thinking the program is not responding.
The first if command checks to see if there is a signal from the buttons.
The next if command checks to see if the left door is closed (true = redstone signal on = door closed)
If it is closed, it closes the right door, waits 1 second then opens the left.
If the left door was open (else), it does the opposite... Closes left, waits, opens right.

That's it. Of course you need to make sure the airlock controllers are set to redstone signal mode as shown in the video :)

*EDIT* This program is the simplest form, it does have one fault with it. If a player holds in the button a bit too long the program will cycle the doors a second time! To safeguard against that you can add the following 3 lines between the first 2 end commands:

while redstone.getInput("back") do

sleep(0.1)
end

This will make the program wait until there is no signal from the buttons before continuing with the main loop :)

Last edited: