IC2 Incompatibility Frustration

Speleomantes

Aug 20, 2013
So I'm looking through the Mod List the other night and I come upon Galacticraft. It looks like a really neat little mod that'll let me explore other planets. And I suspect it will be once I get it working. After all, "Earth First! We'll strip mine the other planets later." And now we can.

The problem starts when I skimmed the wiki and discovered that several of the items like oxygen compressor, fuel loader, etc... needed an external power source. A few different mods were listed for these requirements and IC2 was one of them (Connect the collector to a power source, Battery, Coal Generator, or (Buildcraft/Universal Electricity/IC2).) . I haven't typically been a fan of tech mods but figure 'What the heck.'

Several days later I have a cool little industrial empire built up complete with nuclear power plant, automated mining and all the ore I'll ever want. So I figure that it's time to visit the moon and mine some cheese. (sidenote: It's a well-established fact that the moon is made of green cheese. :) Please correct this oversight in future releases.)

And that's when the trouble began. You can't craft some very basic Galacticraft components, like copper wire or batteries, probably because IC2 already has items with similar names and functions. Worse, the IC2 components don't work for crafting Galacticraft items. IC2 copper cable doesn't work in place of Galacticraft copper wire and IC2 batteries don't work in Galacticraft machines. I'm pretty sure that even if I could craft a Galacticraft battery I wouldn't be able to charge it using an IC2 power supply anyway.

In some cases there obviously has been an attempt made at compatibility. IC2's refined iron substitutes in for steel in the few Galacticraft recipes that I've tried. I suspect there are other substitutions that also work to allow you to craft most of the Galacticraft items from IC2 components but haven't dug into this thoroughly.

Worst of all, the power systems don't connect up. IC2 provides power in EU/tick and Galacticraft wants volts and watts. The IC2 cables won't even connect to the Galacticraft machines. All in all, a very frustrating start to my space program.

Might I suggest that a power converter that takes IC2 power and outputs Galacticraft power would be really helpful for this? And perhaps a few lines of code allowing equivalent items to be used in crafting? The IC2 copper cable is nearly identical to Galacticraft copper wire, differing only in that it's insulated using rubber rather than wool. Seriously, who uses wool to insulate electrical wire?!? I've seen paper-insulated wiring (scary) and once lived in an "apartment" that had magnesium wiring (terrifying) but wool is a new one for me.

Anyway. Off to download Universal Electric in hopes that it isn't one mod too many and can sort out my power problems. Will append the results to this message.

Thanx.
-S

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
First off welcome to Galacticraft.
Secondly Galacticraft is till under developement, more specifically in the Alpha stage. It needs allot of work, so needless to say stuff won't work.
Thirdly IC2 and Galacticraft are supposed to be compatible.
And last Galacticraft comes with 2 means of powering it's own items. Solar Panels, and a Coal Generator. Currently there has been some issues with the power in Galacticraft's Basic Components.
MicDoodle has been working on it. Buildcraft, which isn't 1.6 yet, had a few engines that worked with Galacticraft stuff.

P.S. http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/reporting-a-bug-asking-for-help-click-here-first.1804/

Speleomantes

Aug 20, 2013
OK, some resolution here. Some new problems too.

Components that wouldn't craft previously are available now that I've added Universal Electricity. It seems that these are part of UE's Basic Components, a fact that isn't mentioned in the Galacticraft wiki entry on them. So now I have steel, steel plate, copper wire, batteries (non-IC2), etc.

Still no go luck powering the oxygen compressor up. I built myself a basic coal-fired UE generator and attached it to the oxygen compressor. Or tried to. The cable won't attach to the connector. I turned the compressor every imaginable way. Oddly, the cable will attach to the oxygen input with the blue ring. Obviously it doesn't provide power in that configuration.

I tried putting a UE battery box in between. No help.

Because I don't have the brains to just quit, I built a UE battery, charged it to full and plunked it into the oxygen compressor. Status: Not Enough Power.

To make matters worse, the oxygen fan needed to craft the oxygen collector won't craft. At least not according to the recipe in the wiki.

Two steps forward, three steps back.
-S

Speleomantes

Aug 20, 2013
Thanx. Here's the pastebin link of the forge log: http://pastebin.com/Gsvi2j9F

I was unaware that Galacticraft was still in the Alpha development stage. I'd thought it was a little more finished than that. My bad. I've obviously bumped into a few of those bugs.

I had thought to try the native Galacticraft power sources earlier but both required that pesky copper wire that I couldn't craft. As I mentioned above, I've since put together a coal-fired generator and it doesn't help. The copper wire to the compressor doesn't connect.

I'm beginning to think that it isn't a problem with IC2 compatibility. I now think it's a problem where the oxygen compressor simply won't connect properly to any power supply. I've now had no success with IC2 copper cable, IC2 glass fiber cable, IC2 batteries, IC2 energy crystals, UE copper wire and UE batteries.

Thanx,
-S

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
Try build 581. I've had the best luck with it so far. Although I haven't got to the oxygen systems yet in my survival game.

Speleomantes

Aug 20, 2013
Further update: The copper wire won't connect to the grey port on the side of the oxygen compressor and the air pipe won't connect to the port with the blue ring. Oddly, if you rotate the air compressor the pipe and wire will connect with the wrong ports. Not that that helps. And it still doesn't explain why battery power doesn't work.

Will build 581 work with MineCraft 1.5.2? I'm putting off updating because a few horses just aren't worth losing most of my favorite mods.

Thanx,
-S

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
No 410 is the latest for 1.5.2, and allot of stuff is broken. The biggest for me was no Oil generation.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
If you're gonna stick with 1.5.2 then may I suggest Tekkit. It has quite a few workarounds for your issues.