Ideas for Eve...Ahem i mean Venus.

Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Probably if Ezer Arch is reading this, can you give me screenshot?

Lots of flat area...Every "mountain" would start ascending really gradual.
Lots of lakes/seas filled with acid, It would rain acid all the time.
Since the atmosphere is really thick and filled with acid, you would need high tech stuff & energy fields. Future-tech needed. Rocky surface 50% of it is liquid acid and other really bad stuff.
Im gonna add more stuff later, say it in comments.

Reactions: NXTerminator
Aug 31, 2013
Finland
So, what's the screenshot for?

I'm not a MCEdit ninja to make so specific scenario. I could try, but it would take a while. Probably @Space Viking could help too. ;)
To make people with no imagination understand. I know its hard to create screenshot out of nowehere but maybe first take a pic of flat mars then add brown and purple liquid ponds and seas everywhere. Sky will be brown(Its not ksp eve so it wont be purple ;_; )

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Eve is also a super-Earth type of planet with a considerably different climate from Venus.

Venus is more of a hellish kind of world with a surface temperature enough to melt lead and a crushing atmosphere that's over 90 times thicker than Earth's.

But yeah, I can help with trying to depict Venus using WorldPainter, MCEdit and some texture editing:

venus1.jpg

A kind of a generic shot. The soil is scorched and I choose the sky to be yellow. Although, I'm actually not sure about the colors, so I guess orange can work too.

venus2.jpg

A sunset picture featuring an impact crater filled with lava. Perhaps there could be some valuable minerals in the middle of such a crater? But beware, maybe there could be some lava creature waiting to ambush the player...

Also, the Venusian night sky emits minimal amount of light, so imagine a near pitch black world only illuminated by naturally occurring lava. Considering the the days on Venus take ages to cycle, perhaps lava could compensate that to some extent?

Aug 31, 2013
Finland
Venus needs a corrosion effect, that adds constant slow damage to armor.
Excellent! But there needs to be expensive very high tech armor to not corrode. (since people need that, and giving super high tech isn't too unrealistic)Does anyone know Tinker's Construct? YOu should make the tools and armors compatible with it, Mr.Micdoodle.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
It's nice to see my concept has yielded some positive feedback. I uploaded the resource pack for those who are interested. You'll need MCPatcher if you want it to work properly though.

Admittedly, Venus is quite tricky when it comes to depiction. The only actual surface pictures of Venus in existence are a result of the Soviet Venera program back in the 70ths and 80ths.

venussulfur.jpg

Some kind of volcanic deposit. It got to have some kind of use, right? There's also a volcano in the background, but it might be hard to see if you got a crappy monitor (like me). I'm still not certain about the sky, but it appears it's yellow during noon, but turns amber toward dusk.

The fog in the picture has also been manipulated by merging multiple images with different draw distances. Basically, it makes the fog start earlier, which makes it much more stretched out than the default fog.

I'm not sure about Venusian features. It does have sulfuric acid rains, but the heat will vaporize it before reaching the surface. However, a metallic counterpart to snow has been identified on the Venusian mountains. It's speculated to be lead sulfide, but in Galacticraft it could just be called something like 'Venusian Snow' instead.

Perhaps there could also be some kind of semi-solidified lava blocks that turns into lava when broken? Its logic is comparable to ice.

A suit on Venus would be required to withstand both extreme heat and pressure, so logically it could be some combination between an atmospheric diving suit and an entry suit. Not sure what material it would be constructed of, but I guess the possibly Mars exclusive desh ore could be one ingredient.

Attachments

• Venus.zip
    93.7 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Admittedly, Venus is quite tricky when it comes to depiction.
Needlessly to say, Minecraft is pretty limited (by design, and I don't know what happened with Galacticraft that Mars sky went wrong), things don't need to be so accurate. So stop saying you're doing "cheap" imitations. ;)

My only complain about the Venus sky is, I can see "seams" on the sky, some kind graphic borders in parallel with the horizon line, during the sunset and sunrise.

A suit on Venus would be required to withstand both extreme heat and pressure, so logically it could be some combination between an atmospheric diving suit and an entry suit. Not sure what material it would be constructed of, but I guess the possibly Mars exclusive desh ore could be one ingredient.

13_03a.jpg

Video: Venus walk

EDIT:

There are some nice ideas for an addon (?) here: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/need-suggestions-for-starcraft-venus.2417/

Last edited:

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
My only complain about the Venus sky is, I can see "seams" on the sky, some kind graphic borders in parallel with the horizon line, during the sunset and sunrise.

There is also that pesky twilight that can't be removed. It isn't visible when the render distance is set to 'short' or 'tiny' though. I also wanted to make the sky gradually turning more amber toward dusk (gaining a similar surface appearance to that Venus walk video), but the fog color wouldn't match with the lighting. But whatever, I guess it's actually not that cheap only because I'm working within MCPatcher's limitations. It does save a lot of time though.

Aside from that, thunder should happen quite often. If there also was some effect that could give a visual impression of Venus considerable surface temperature, that would be cool as well. I'm not sure what that would be though, but perhaps smoke puffs slowly emerging from the ground?

When seeing an actual ADS with propellers, it's pretty funny considering those would be about practical in the dense atmosphere of Venus. It would also look pretty silly though. :D Neverminding the propellers though, the concept behind such a space does exist IRL known as hard-shell suit.

It's also mentioned earlier in the same video the suit used for the Venus walk was made out of titanium. I'd agree that is a good choice of material. Could desh ore potentially make a good counter part to that in Galacticraft? The suit would by quite bulky, but you could practically dive into lava with it (but not for too long!).

On a sidenote, I think that Venus lander in the video looks quite underpowered. Not only does it have to make through a gravity comparable to Earth's, but the thick atmosphere of Venus would also offer a lot of air resistance.

Excellent! But there needs to be expensive very high tech armor to not corrode. (since people need that, and giving super high tech isn't too unrealistic)Does anyone know Tinker's Construct? YOu should make the tools and armors compatible with it, Mr.Micdoodle.

*Mr. Petrie

And worrabout (what about) armour that simply does not react with acids, thus is not corrodededededed?

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
*Mr. Petrie

And worrabout (what about) armour that simply does not react with acids, thus is not corrodededededed?

I think it might be more interesting if there wasn't anything (outside of creative) to completely remove the danger of corrosion on a player level. Maybe some kind of anti-corrosive blocks to build a base out of, but going outside puts you in danger of getting your armor corroded through.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch
I think it might be more interesting if there wasn't anything (outside of creative) to completely remove the danger of corrosion on a player level. Maybe some kind of anti-corrosive blocks to build a base out of, but going outside puts you in danger of getting your armor corroded through.

But then you say no to science.
Every hazard should (most of the time) have a protection. And thanks for not trying to derail this thread into a fight for your own pleasure.

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
Eve is also a super-Earth type of planet with a considerably different climate from Venus.

Venus is more of a hellish kind of world with a surface temperature enough to melt lead and a crushing atmosphere that's over 90 times thicker than Earth's.

But yeah, I can help with trying to depict Venus using WorldPainter, MCEdit and some texture editing:

View attachment 481

A kind of a generic shot. The soil is scorched and I choose the sky to be yellow. Although, I'm actually not sure about the colors, so I guess orange can work too.

View attachment 482

A sunset picture featuring an impact crater filled with lava. Perhaps there could be some valuable minerals in the middle of such a crater? But beware, maybe there could be some lava creature waiting to ambush the player...

Also, the Venusian night sky emits minimal amount of light, so imagine a near pitch black world only illuminated by naturally occurring lava. Considering the the days on Venus take ages to cycle, perhaps lava could compensate that to some extent?
Wow. that is crazily impressive.