Infinite Oxygen Tank (Creative ONLY, like the Infinite Battery)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thank you, oxygen_large and compressor looking great too.

Thanks to you and @JakXLT for spotting the issues, I'll fix those today. It's correct that the the Distributor does take a lot of oxygen when it's working - that's the same amount it would take out of pipes - but obviously it needs to stop taking oxygen when it gets full.

The liquid -> gas conversion ratio we are using is that 1 Canister of Liquid Oxygen (which is equivalent to 1 bucket of liquid) makes enough oxygen to fill 4 heavy oxygen tanks. A player can refill a heavy oxygen tank from a canister in the player's crafting inventory, so that's a space-efficient way to take some spare oxygen along with you. (I need to add a recipe so that tanks can be filled from the infinite oxygen canister too.)

The GUI for the Oxygen Storage Module, I'm not sure about the second slot - I don't see that machine filling any oxygen items. The infinite oxygen item can't be filled, and a regular Canister of Liquid Oxygen will need to be filled from a Gas Liquefier as it needs liquid oxygen. I haven't yet decided whether the player oxygen gas tanks should be able to fill machines with oxygen (not very useful, as even a heavy tank does not hold much gas compared with a single Canister of Liquid Oxygen) - but even if the tanks can fill machines, we won't want the tanks to be fillable from the Oxygen Storage Module, as that would make the Compressor useless.

Final comment, uniting the Oxygen Distributor and the Sealer is not possible, those are two of the most complex machines in Galacticraft (programming wise), and I also think they are hard to learn for players new to Galacticraft so I wouldn't want to make any dramatic changes to them.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Please try out build 3.0.2.189, it has the new versions of the Compressor and the Sealer, and fixes all the issues which have been mentioned on this thread (creative tab, drawing oxygen when machine is full, power bar not emptying below 30gJ) and what looks like a long-standing issue where the machines could use power even when they had no work to do.

Also has a crafting recipe for infinite oxygen + empty tank -> full tank (the infinite oxygen item will return to your inventory, like an empty bucket).

UPDATE: that should be build 3.0.2.189

Last edited:

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Sounds good to me. Though it seems the oxygen_large.png hasn't been properly updated. It's notable the Sealer has the new slot programmed in, but still's using the old graphics.

Also, by the uncertainty of oxygen machine being unfillable with oxygen tanks, is that implying the Oxygen Decompressor is being considered removal? That's what that thing already does afterall.

In my opinion is the respective Oxygen Compressor on the other hand kind of bulky. On a different subject I'd favor something more sleek, like an oxygen refill station that works similarly to the Chargepad in Mekanism.

Anyway, I've updated the Oxygen Storage Module according to your description:

PmKg6rp.png

The coordinates of the oxygen slot is the same as the other machines. If there's something else, just let me know.

[edit]

I noticed the compressor.png hadn't been updated either. That's good though, since I've made an icon update to the Compressor tank slot to provide people a visual hint what goes there:

mtf1XzC.png

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thank you, storage module looks great.

The updated oxygen_large.png is correctly in build 3.0.2.189, so I really don't know what is going on with your Sealer - maybe you did not update your client to 3.0.2.189?

I confirm the Oxygen Decompressor is not being considered for removal. My point was, if we now make a change to use oxygen tanks as oxygen giving (or receiving) items in the other machines, then we would have no purpose for the Decompressor and the Compressor. I don't want to take away the purpose of an existing machine. So, I don't want to use tanks in these new slots in the Distributor, Sealer and Storage Module.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Oxygen tanks for players:

I can see it might be useful to have some smoother gameplay for unequipping an oxygen tank, refilling it, taking the full tank, and equipping it. I'll give that some thought. Maybe some extra right-click functionality, like you can right-click tanks in and out of the Compressor machine? Or maybe a new type of oxygen gear stand (like an armour stand or a shelf in TiC), could be nice though that's a lot of work because the stand would have to be modelled.

An idea for you in the meanwhile: last time I played seriously on a server, my friend built me an Applied Energistics system where if a non-full oxygen tank was placed into the storage system, the tank was automatically inserted into the Compressor, filled, and then the full tank put back into the storage system. You could build that maybe?

Also I hope everybody knows that in GC3 you can shift-click the tanks and oxygen gear in your inventory, to equip them?

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Oh yeah, the GUI textures has actually been properly updated. It was just me who where using a custom resourcepack for testing new textures for Galacticraft. My bad!

I do understand the Storage Module shouldn't serve as a Decompressor nor a Compressor. My point regarding that matter was if the Decompressor and Compressor itself really need to be separate machines. I find it questionable if the price of a Decompressor alone is really justified for what's indeed not a very useful feature in general. Though I'm not going to make a big deal out of it.

About quick refilling oxygen supply, well, I'm not sure what's technically viable here. I kind of though perhaps the Compressor could have a button with the text "Refill Suit", enabled on the additional condition the player is within reasonable range of the machine. The primary idea is to have it interface directly with your suit's supply. Perhaps this function could also be a future feature as a support upgrades for vehicles (like the Moon Buggy) so the player doesn't need to juggle around with multiple tanks during extensive EVA:s? Though using canisters of LOX are quite a compact solution, though not as sleek, it's nevertheless an improvement.

Speaking of Applied Energistics, I'm not familiar with it, so building anything there beats me to it by default. xP

Regardless, I think the new machine GUI:s are great. Not only do they benefit the context of what was originally proposed, but they are now also of utility to players who are on survival.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Good stuff, guys.

@SpaceViking - I think you will like Applied Energistics. It has 3 main functions: storage, it can store huge quantities of materials in a compact space by 'digitising' all your items; auto-crafting using its own autocrafter, it can make anything it has the recipe and the raw materials for (and it's smart enough to craft intermediate components); and factory operation through cables which can put items from its storage in and out of machines with logic. It is OP though - you can carry an entire base around in about 10 items, so it makes rockets with storage unnecessary.

Decompressor is not very useful, it's there for the player who has everything else :)

I'll keep thinking about a slicker solution to swapping oxygen tanks on the fly.

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
When there is talk about Oxygen, I would like that oxygen will be forge compatible oredicted fluid. :)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Oxygen is a forge-compatible oredicted fluid in GC3, so is LiquidOxygen. They even have the scientifically correct density, viscosity and temperature set. It's up to other mods to find something useful to do with them, but for example you can certainly put Liquid Oxygen into BuildCraft tanks if you want to.

Meanwhile, here is a picture of Galacticraft without micdoodle8:
a-tree-in-minecraft_1.png

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Oxygen is a forge-compatible oredicted fluid in GC3, so is LiquidOxygen. They even have the scientifically correct density, viscosity and temperature set. It's up to other mods to find something useful to do with them, but for example you can certainly put Liquid Oxygen into BuildCraft tanks if you want to.
Well, I really don´t know, how then. No other pipe than GC one can connect to machines having oxygen in them, oxygen pipe does NOT connect to other mod tanks as well. You cannot fill any other container by oxygen than oxygen tank (for breathing).
No pipe is connecting to it because it says these things does NOT have any internal tank (even they store oxygen)....
So please tell me, how to get oxygen made in oxygen collector to BuildCraft tank. If there is a way, I cannot see it.

The only machine from GC, which can connect other mod pipes and fill containers compatible with forge-fluids, is refinery

EDIT: Ok, liquid oxygen. How to make it, when there is no way to transport it into that new machine for making liquids from gases?

Attachments

• 2014-09-13_19.51.33.png
    2014-09-13_19.51.33.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
You can have the Gas Liquefier make Liquid Oxygen by using it with an Atmospheric Valve, but this needs to be on a planet with oxygen otherwise you might end up with some other type of liquefied gas. NEI tells you this, there is also a tooltip. I hope this info will also be on the wiki soon. Maybe some day someone will even make a video tutorial for the benefit of players who prefer not to discover this type of thing for themselves.

Another way is if you have another mod which makes oxygen (the Forge fluid) - in that case you can pipe that into the Gas Liquefier using Buildcraft pipes and it will turn it into Liquid Oxygen - the same for a few other gases as well. Mekanism has an Electrolyser machine which makes hydrogen + oxygen from water. We will also be adding Galacticraft oxygen pipes soon so that it can be used with the existing oxygen machines like Oxygen Collectors etc.

The Galacticraft oxygen pipes (the white ones) will not accept Forge fluids and vice versa, we only want these pipes to carry gases and not liquids (but a Forge fluid can be either gas or liquid and is normally a liquid).

All the Galacticraft machines which have oxygen gas as their input will only accept connections from pipes specifically used for transporting gases, so that can be either the Galacticraft oxygen pipes or the gas pipes from Mekanism.

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Yes, I waas confused that GC has now "2 types of same oxygen" thing.
I was aiming to store breathable oxygen in big tanks, however I may now see the point - oxygen is O2, however breathable oxygen should be more likely "air" with the mix of gases to breathe :) In that case I get the idea of two same gases....
And also that GC fluid containers canot be filled/emptied to normal fluid tanks, like BC one, or RC one and so...
I was trying Atmospheric Valve in sealed room at orbit, so that probably made "nothing happens"...however maybe it should be done even in this condition (but can be harder than just "Am I in right dimension?" check)

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Atmospheric Valve is disabled in sealed spaces, that would create infinite oxygen. Which brings us back on topic again, kinda ... :p

Reactions: Hanakocz

DJHonore

Oct 30, 2014
It would also be helpful to create some sort of oxygen generator that would draw oxygen from plants without destroying them.