Infinite Oxygen Tank (Creative ONLY, like the Infinite Battery)

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Is it back on topic now? :p Also, it would probably be a bit buggy. But, that wouldn't be a core feature, just something for CREATIVE, thus, it might not be a big deal. (Any bugs that is, unless the bugs ruined the core gameplay.)

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Is it back on topic now? :p Also, it would probably be a bit buggy. But, that wouldn't be a core feature, just something for CREATIVE, thus, it might not be a big deal. (Any bugs that is, unless the bugs ruined the core gameplay.)

If you plan on only playing that map in creative then sure, bugs might not be an issue. If you are making the map in creative to later use it as an adventure or survival map though it could become a big problem.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Why if you already dont need oxygen on creative.

Because this:
If you are making the map in creative to later use it as an adventure or survival map...

It may not be needed WHILE building in creative mode, but to at least test if a room, wing, building, or entire complex is functional with your oxygen network. Then once you know that system works you can build the necessary oxygen collection system that will be used when the map is played in survival. It could simplify diagnosis when trying to determine if a malfunctioning system is a result of insufficient oxygen supply or improper room design, etc.

Or even if built in creative you could use infinite power and oxygen for use as an adventure or survival map where you don't need to worry about resupplying leaves (if you don't turn off the config) or you would rather have simpler or more streamlined looking space stations (just as an example) that don't even need oxygen collection systems.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
If you plan on only playing that map in creative then sure, bugs might not be an issue. If you are making the map in creative to later use it as an adventure or survival map though it could become a big problem.
I'm bumping this thread because it's one of oldest sensible requests and it's pretty much necessary for map making, Complete-The-Monument maps, adventure maps etc.

If we have Infinite Battery (creative-only), why not an Infinite Oxygen Tank (creative-only) as well? It could also fix the problem with my space station (link) which was built before the sealers require a minimum amount of oxygen/leaf blocks to work, prior to 1.6.4. Now the entire station keeps failing... or I'd have to tear down a part of it to build bigger leaf rooms.

Reactions: Douglas_Fresh

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
Yes, I would really like to see this for the final GC3 release. It wouldnt be too hard to code... you could probably just take an oxygen tank, put a big C on it, and make it have infinite oxygen. Atleast its nothing like coding in a new block with GUI's and everything!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
It's a reasonable request.

As stated here: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/932
What I plan for some time soon is that most oxygen machines will have a slot which can accept a Canister of Liquid Oxygen or a portable oxygen tank from Mekanism. At the same time we will add an infinite oxygen supply item.

It's really just a question of making the slots, which needs me to do graphics :eek:

If someone else would have time to take the existing GUI textures for Oxygen machines (I think Oxygen Storage Module, Sealer, Bubble Distributor and Oxygen Compressor should cover it) and add a new slot in a sensible position - I'm thinking towards the bottom / left side, where possible - maybe with a nice background texture too, like that little lightning bolt for the power slot - then I promise to do the actual coding to implement this straight away.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Or better, maybe the slot should have a little graphic above it, which looks like an oxygen tank valve.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Just to be clear, I'm talking about an infinite oxygen supply item for your machines. Not an oxygen tank for players, I don't think players need it because if you have access to cheats to get the infinite item, then you can either switch to creative mode or spawn in a couple of heavy tanks, and if that's not enough then a Canister of Liquid Oxygen as well. (A Canister of Liquid Oxygen can refill a heavy tank a few times, just put them together in your crafting inventory.)

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Since this is supposedly meant to provide an endless supply of oxygen serving as a parallel analog to the infinite battery, I think it would actually make sense to have the slot next to the battery slot. In a similar manner it could possibly serve as an additional internal backup supply incase the machine's direct supply of gas would get compromised.

The relevant GUI textures are: oxygen.png (Oxygen Compressor, -Collector and -Decompressor) and oxygen_large.png (Oxygen Bubble Distributor and -Sealer)

For a start, here's oxygen.png:

arz8W8u.png

An optional version with an "O2" icon instead:

RnrowmF.png

The only real change is that I've done is moving the original power icon 15 pixels to the right in order to make room for the canister slot. When it comes to aesthetics , perhaps the icon could be outside the slot like in Mekanism. Though I'd imagine there will be more time considering details in the future.

The infinite canister can be based on the current design, but with an infinity sign with the gas' associated color:

bCQl14Q.png

Another alternative horizontal version for a presumably better fit of the mugen:

ZRG48Uo.png

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Wow, thank you - that looks nice and very tidy, that's certainly enough for me to go on. Excellent that all the machines use the same GUIs, makes everything much easier.

I like the O2 icon. I'm going to attempt to change that blue colour to the pale red colour which the newer oxygen items in GC3 have (matches chemistry where typically blue is for nitrogen and red is for oxygen) ...

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Oh yeah, I wondered what was up with that color change for oxygen. Wasn't sure if pink was something specific for oxygen in liquid form or something.

If I get it right, the color change you are thinking of:

oxygen.png:

amC2Uxv.png

oxygen_large.png:

1mhkrnO.png

oxygenCanisterInfinite.png:

EjMXJN7.png

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thanks again @SpaceViking, very much - I really appreciate it as I suck at graphics (I've messed up something in the transparency every time I've edited a gui).

This is now implemented in build 3.0.2.185. It works in the Oxygen Bubble Distributor so far, I don't have time to do more coding today and the other machines need small tweaks in the GUI to match that ... https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/blob/2391fde6e0b5d137a93ece279a34b6e1bbf08231/src/main/resources/assets/galacticraftcore/textures/gui/oxygenDistributor.png *
  • oxygen_large.png - please can we have an 'O2' symbol by the oxygen bar, and the blue colour please
  • Oxygen Compressor is like oxygenDistributor.png but with an extra slot for the tank, see compressor.png
  • if you have time, it would also be great if you would add a slot to oxygenStorageModule.png
And after trying out the red colour in-game, I decided these machines should all keep the blue colour for the oxygen bar. I think the blue colour is what everyone is used to, and the colour of a gas display in the GUI does not have to be realistic (the gas is colourless, really). We will still use pale red for the liquid oxygen, so I kept the red colour for the Infinite Oxygen Canister. Check it out, see what you think. Sorry that you went to the extra work of making the red version of the GUIs.

* The Oxygen Decompressor will not have an oxygen item slot, so I renamed your oxygen.png to oxygenDistributor.png

Last edited:

JakXLT

May 16, 2014
Thanks again @SpaceViking, very much - I really appreciate it as I suck at graphics (I've messed up something in the transparency every time I've edited a gui).

This is now implemented in build 3.0.2.185. It works in the Oxygen Bubble Distributor so far, I don't have time to do more coding today and the other machines need small tweaks in the GUI to match that ... https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/blob/2391fde6e0b5d137a93ece279a34b6e1bbf08231/src/main/resources/assets/galacticraftcore/textures/gui/oxygenDistributor.png *
  • oxygen_large.png - please can we have an 'O2' symbol by the oxygen bar, and the blue colour please
  • Oxygen Compressor is like oxygenDistributor.png but with an extra slot for the tank, see compressor.png
  • if you have time, it would also be great if you would add a slot to oxygenStorageModule.png
And after trying out the red colour in-game, I decided these machines should all keep the blue colour for the oxygen bar. I think the blue colour is what everyone is used to, and the colour of a gas display in the GUI does not have to be realistic (the gas is colourless, really). We will still use pale red for the liquid oxygen, so I kept the red colour for the Infinite Oxygen Canister. Check it out, see what you think. Sorry that you went to the extra work of making the red version of the GUIs.

* The Oxygen Decompressor will not have an oxygen item slot, so I renamed your oxygen.png to oxygenDistributor.png

NEI was able to find it, but the infinite oxygen item was nowhere to be found in the galacticraft tab.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I've checked build #185, and I gotta say I like the new Oxygen Distributor. Well, except from it seems to constantly be eating oxygen despite being unpowered, and also its energy storage can't get less discharged than 30 gJ. Though the latter case seems to apply with all the oxygen related machines. Has these problems been noted?

Oh yeah, as has already been remarked, the Infinite Oxygen Canister is nowhere to be found inside the Galacticraft Items tab.

Anyway, I understand the reason why reqular oxygen will remain blue. Infact, I can't complain since AFAIK is LOX' appearence when seen through a test tube actually pale blue, almost a bit violet (though in gas form it's indeed colorless). Kind of reminds me of the various chemistry experiments during the last years of primary school.

But yeah, the referred graphics will be made as per request:

oxygen_large.png:

rUG0fCR.png

The compressor:

M3qTaLL.png

OxygenStorageOfDoom.png:

qAhJmvq.png

The Oxygen Storage Module GUI is a ripoff of the Energy Storage Module. The only difference is the input/output slot has been moved 13 pixels to the left in order to make enough room for "Max Output:" (not actually seen in the .png).

Though thinking of the Oxygen Compressor/-Decompressor, wouldn't it be more convinient and make more sense if these two machines where merged into the same device? I had a design idea being something like this:

pGomz3K.png

Albeit, this is getting a bit complicated considering there's two different forms of oxygen. Would that mean a third input slot for LOX is required in the proposed Oxygen Compressor GUI?

I had a similar idea about perhaps uniting the Oxygen Distributor and -Sealer. Though I'm not sure if it would be two different selectable functions or contextually activated (like bubble mode being active in unsealed environments).

Reactions: Vigilantecow