Install seems to not work correctly

Rob

Jul 7, 2014
I have forge-1.7.10-10.13.0.1170-installer-win installed and running over my Minecraft 1.7.10. I am following the instructions to install Galacticraft, namely starting the programs, then exiting and copying the Galacticraft files into the mods folder. Before copying everything runs. After putting the jar files into the mods folder the game will not run. It keeps coming back to the Launcher screen after clicking on "Play".
The galacticraft files I am using are:
Galacticraft-1.6.4-2.0.14.1084.jar
Galacticraft-Planets-1.6.4-2.0.14.1084.jar
MicdoodleCore-1.6.4-2.0.14.1084.jar
I don't see anything newer.
Any idea what I am missing?
Thanks

Rob

Jul 7, 2014
When I try and run that version of Forge it tells me I need to run version 1.6.4 manually at least once. I assume it means Minecraft 1.6.4. What I bought and downloaded was 1.7.10.

Rob

Jul 7, 2014
Done that, mods show up in the list, but I can't figure out how to activate them or switch to them. I am trying to set this up for my grandson. I am NOT a game player. I have no idea how to actually get the mod to come up so he can play it.

Rob

Jul 7, 2014
OK, we kind of figured it out. I see the new items on the menu when he presses e. Looks like he is moving forward to get it set to go into space. Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this. Thanks for the help. I kind of figured it was different versions.
Thanks again.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Sounds like you have it working, that's great. You're welcome to ask for more help as needed. Depending on how young your grandson is it can be quite a tall order to figure out how to do everything needed to get into space. There are good tutorials on the wiki: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Galacticraft also plenty of videos on YouTube.

---

For future reference or anyone else who needs help installing:

* Mods are usually made for older versions of Minecraft than the current/latest, because it takes time after a new Minecraft is released to update mods to work correctly with it

* Most mods have a Minecraft 1.6.4 version; some also have a 1.7.2 version already - http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1210470-Fuzzzie-s-1-7-x-Mod-List; Galacticraft is a couple months behind these because our mod is more complex than most, also we are adding new features

* Your best bet is to stick to Minecraft 1.6.4 mods for the next month or two

* Minecraft 1.6.4 mods need Forge 9.11.1.965. Forge which can be downloaded from here: http://files.minecraftforge.net/ When installed, it should create a 'Forge' profile in the Minecraft launcher. Choose the 'Forge' profile, and in the 'Edit profile' settings, make sure it is set to use 'release 1.6.4-Forge9.11.1.965' and then press 'Play' as normal.

*If Forge is working ok, mods are installed simply by placing the mod's .jar (or .zip) file in your .minecraft/mods folder.

Galacticraft works great alongside other mods. I recommend NEI (Not Enough Items) which helps the player with recipes and such like. Galacticraft has power systems in the form of a Coal Generator or Solar Panels, but it is also good to accompany it with one of the industrial electrical mods like Mekanism, Thermal Expansion, or IndustrialCraft2: that should speed up the process of refining metal ores and the other items the player will need to create rockets and space bases.

If the install seems too complicated, there are also modpacks like Tekkit and Attack-of-the-B-Team available through the Technic Launcher which do everything for you - http://www.technicpack.net/

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

Rob

Jul 7, 2014
Excellent info, thanks so much. My grandson is 6 and he runs circles around me in this area. I am not a game player, just an old Sys Admin. This stuff always confuses me. I load it, he tests it. He was excited yesterday when it finally came up.
Again, THANKS for the help.