Is a Dungeon with No Boss Room or Boss Normal?

Alyenbird

Apr 21, 2015
It took me three real life days of searching the moon... going very far from my base, before I found a single Moon Dungeon. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it dead-ended after the 6th room with no Boss Room. I have yet to find another moon dungeon. Is it normal to find a dungeon without a Boss? Did the frequency of dungeon appearance change?

I have also noticed that Cheese Ore is super rare on my world's Moon too, although the Wiki says it should have spawned at the same frequency as Tin. After being on the Moon for over a week (real time) I have found a grand total of 2 Cheese Ores and multiple stacks of Tin Ores. Was the frequency of Cheese Ores changed to be rarer since the Wiki was written?

Pastebin will not let me paste my entire fml-client file, is it OK to post it in sections?

Alyenbird

Apr 21, 2015
I am also finding more and more incompletely generated Moon Villages as I explore even more of the Moon. I frequently find a single section of Villager house wall.. a single section of wooden path... or a single section of tree farm. It appears to be getting worse the more terrain I load. Would these be related to the incomplete Moon Dungeon?

Alyenbird

Apr 21, 2015
Ok I found a second Moon Dungeon, and this one DID have a Boss Room, a Boss, and a Moon Buggy Schematic. So I am feeling much better. I am still interested to know if No-Boss-Here Dungeons are a normal thing.

stark

Mar 24, 2015
Just another player's note. May be you use some old version? Or map generation is not 100% bug free and in that "a game of dice" your case was extremely bad.

It was 3.0.9 when I was exploring Moon. Dungeons were somehow hard to find, and first were found 2K away from landing site. But some later I found another one just 300 from landing site in the same direction :) None of these were incomplete and Tier 2 rocket schematics have been recovered.

There were a lot of moon villages. Because I run server and there is a log output about generating villages, I mentioned that these are very abundant. None were as small as a single wall or single slice of a tree farm - all of them were generally good.

Not explored moon caves a lot, but meet some Cheese Ores. Lesser than Tin Ores, but not such dramatically as your case.

Excuse my not perfect english.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/1126

It seems about 10-20% of dungeons will have some type of missing room / dead end issue like this. The exact cause is unknown, otherwise we would already have fixed it. In some cases you may find it is a blocked corridor but the 'missing' part of the dungeon is beyond the blockage. If not, it does not seem like too much hardship for the player to have to find another dungeon. Dungeons can be find by the surface feature: there will be a dungeon entrance on the surface. Sure, they are rare: so are dungeons rare in vanilla Minecraft, and vanilla dungeons don't have any surface feature to help you.

Cheese ore is being generated. It is not as common as tin: I'm not sure where that idea comes from. But it is more common than vanilla emerald ore or lapis: the only problem is it can be found at any height from bedrock to the surface.

The broken moon villages seems to be a problem, if possible please post a screenshot showing the coordinates and also post your world seed. Then we can test it using the same seed and see what is going on. One possible explanation is you have changed your modlist after you already generated a part of the Moon in that map: that could make the generation happen differently on newer parts of the Moon, meaning you will have errors and broken things on the "fault line" between chunks generated before and chunks generated after the change.

Alyenbird

Apr 21, 2015
Thank you for your help radfast. I have no other mods on my Minecraft. I did change my Galacticraft mods to the newest version after discovering none of my meteoric iron recipes were working on the version I had. Do you think that caused this? This is the most amusing of the village fragments. It is a two block deep slice of Village with the outermost wall section if a house and a bit of tree farm. The nearest complete village is over 300 blocks away. I don't know why it says I have 6 mods active when I removed the old Galacticraft mods from my mod folder. There should only be three.
Slice%20of%20Village.png

Last edited:

Alyenbird

Apr 21, 2015
This is a lonely tree farm fragment that was generated with one side of the water channel missing.
Tree%20farm%20fragment.png

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
This looks like the chunk boundaries issue I mentioned. Looking back, we did make one change to Galacticraft worldgen in version 3.0.9.296 so that could have had this effect, if part of your map was made using an older version than 296.

If you didn't build any base on the Moon yet, or you don't mind rebuilding your Moon base, the best approach here could be just to delete the Moon from your map (that's folder DIM-28 in your saved world) and have Galacticraft re-generate it. Otherwise, you will have to put up with these map errors I'm afraid. There's nothing else we can do about it, it's not a fault in the current version of Galacticraft - if you generate a new Moon map now, it should be good.

Alyenbird

Apr 21, 2015
This looks like the chunk boundaries issue I mentioned. Looking back, we did make one change to Galacticraft worldgen in version 3.0.9.296 so that could have had this effect, if part of your map was made using an older version than 296.

If you didn't build any base on the Moon yet, or you don't mind rebuilding your Moon base, the best approach here could be just to delete the Moon from your map (that's folder DIM-28 in your saved world) and have Galacticraft re-generate it. Otherwise, you will have to put up with these map errors I'm afraid. There's nothing else we can do about it, it's not a fault in the current version of Galacticraft - if you generate a new Moon map now, it should be good.

I think I will stick with my current map, crazy village fragments and all. It took me an enormous amount of time and effort to build my current fancy-schmancy self-contained moon base, and I did manage to find a dungeon with a boss and more cheese ore. However, I would like to thank you for your time. I hope that this post can help other people who have this issue.

Alyenbird

Apr 21, 2015
Even more embarrassed.. I just found a dungeon at:
X: -499
Z: 602
... which is less then 500 blocks from my Moon Base. I must have walked past without seeing it 20 times! If you decide to play my seed to try and 'help' me. I already found that one.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
It took me an enormous amount of time and effort to build my current fancy-schmancy self-contained moon base
I think you might want to showcase your fancy-schmancy self-contained moon base so we can see it.... if you want: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?forums/media.8/

It seems about 10-20% of dungeons will have some type of missing room / dead end issue like this. The exact cause is unknown, otherwise we would already have fixed it.
My two bets:
  1. Fixing https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/1358 will fix the dungeon problem. But this is just a guess.
  2. Treat the boss room and the treasure room as a single entity/building piece.
As to 2: this always bothered me, that I have to walk a hallway between the boss room and the treasure room, this is anti-climax. Once I have beaten up the boss, I don't want to face any other weaker mob anymore, I rather prefer to go straight to open the treasure chest. This means that the hallway between both rooms should go away.

ufbgvQB.png

(not to scale)

Both rooms would be generated as a single building piece, without a hallway between. Instead, there would a be a door (the yellow striped block) made of blocks that shatter when you beat the boss and pick up the key.

Last edited: